The Malik Report

Holland Still Working On DeKeyser Contract And The Latest On Alfredsson

from George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press,

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said today that he’s still trying to work out a deal with restricted free agent Danny DeKeyser and said that a final decision on whether forward Daniel Alfredsson will play next season probably won’t be made until just before Sept. 18, when players report for camp.

Some Red Wings have begun skating at Joe Louis Arena and other locations in the area. Holland said most of the players will be back in town and skating again Tuesday.

Holland said Alfredsson wants to play next season but has to decide whether he can contribute again.

“I haven’t talked to him in about a month,” Holland said. “He’s training hard. He’s training to play. He does want to play. When I last talked to him, he said he felt good — he wanted to feel great. He would love to play another year. He wants to play for us. He only wants to play if he feels he can contribute. The best test for him is to skate a couple weeks prior to training camp.

“I’ll talk to him next week. We’ll wait 10-12 days. Do we sign him to a contract? Does he just want to come to camp? I’m lobbing everything out there.”

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

babymachine's avatar

Barring an injury, I think we see Alfie back in the red and white.

Posted by babymachine from Portland, Oregon by way of Macomb, Michigan on 08/27/14 at 04:14 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Heres hoping Alfie is healthy ... he saved our bacon in countless games last season.

Salary for DeKeyser is pretty obvious.  Kronner at $4.75 mil ... Queazy and Big E at $4.25 mil.  He’s right in between so we know his cap hit will be $4.5 mii. but for how many years ??  I’d say to be fair to Danny, offer him a 3 year and see who’s left on D by then (not to mention how much higher the salary cap will be as well).  Kronwall and Ericsson might be the only ones left by then, with Kronwall’s career winding down. DeKeyser should be the #1 or 2 Dman by then and well deserving of a bigger contract.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/27/14 at 04:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This seems like the latest RFA un-signing that I can remember, it’s almost September, yet both sides say “no problem, it will get done.”

Dekeyser said he understands that UFA contracts will be more than RFA should, so by that I don’t think he expects anything over 4 at most.  Maybe the Club wants a longer term than he does.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/27/14 at 05:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The Wings roster will be the same as last year, MINUS their leading scorer.

That’s a discouraging but accurate perspective if Alfie is not healthy enough to contribute at a high standard.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/27/14 at 05:03 PM ET

I would like Alfredsson back if he’s healthy, but this quote is ridiculous.

“Do we sign him to a contract? Does he just want to come to camp? I’m lobbing everything out there.”

What the hell is there to “lob”?  When there’s been concern over his health all summer, of course you don’t just sign him to a contract.  You bring him to camp and see if his back holds up to playing competitive hockey, not just casually tooling around a rink for a little while each day.

Posted by Garth on 08/27/14 at 05:12 PM ET

The Alfredsson situation will take care of itself. If he knows he’s not up to playing the way he’s capable of by mid-September he’ll be the first to admit it and call it a career.

Posted by Steve in SE MI on 08/27/14 at 06:48 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Wings’ preseason practice schedule will be very helpful—as will the fact that training camp doesn’t start until the 19th.

Alfredsson’s probably already in town for the “Captain’s practices” given that I’m sure his kids go to private school, and the practices usually go once-every-other-day this week and next week.

Starting in the 2nd week of September, they’re 5-day-a-week affairs, slowly but surely ramping up to near-regular-practice levels, especially as the “out-of-towners” head to their respective locales and the young kids show up. When Babcock finally takes charge, you’ve got a squad that’s been dealing with some decent contact and strong pace for at least a week, and when roster spots are on the line, things get sore very quickly.

About four weeks from today, Alfredsson should know whether his back can hack it, and the Wings’ trainers will be able to work with him despite the fact that the CBA prohibits the coaches from “coaching” until training camp, so he’s probably already working with the medical staff.

We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/27/14 at 07:01 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I do expect Alfie will be back. Even playing part of the season, he brings a lot to the team. I think that may be part of the question.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/27/14 at 08:18 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/27/14 at 04:50 PM ET

I agree with everything regarding DDK. I’m very high on his hockey prowess believing he’ll only get better and better.

I would like Alfie back as well.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/27/14 at 08:28 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

If you’re asking yourself that hard whether it’s time to hang up the skates, it’s probably time to hang up the skates.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/28/14 at 01:30 AM ET

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/28/14 at 01:30 AM ET

I was thinking the same exact thing.

As far as DDK goes, dear Kenny, you signed KFQ to the crazy money that you did, then deal with the fact that now DDK wants comparable money and just sign him.

Posted by George0211 on 08/28/14 at 07:54 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/28/14 at 01:30 AM ET

Bingo.

People asking you is one thing.  You asking yourself is a completely different thing.

Let Alfredsson go and if he still wants to play, let him do it somewhere else.  It’s too late int he offseason for him to be waffling, and the Wings have too many other younger forwards licking their chops for a slot or icetime.

Posted by Primis on 08/28/14 at 10:14 AM ET

DeKeyser is pretty good, but the advanced stats are not as kind on him as his reputation would predict.

As for the person who said he’d get $4.5M per, that’s a pipe dream. He’ll get like $3M per, max. Likely to be closer to $2.5M.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 08/28/14 at 10:45 AM ET

I do not mind Alfy back and I expect him back, but what I do not want to happen is for KH to give him $1.5 mil salary (we will not have much room under the cap anyway) and another $4 mil in bonuses (for like playing 5 games) that will create a cap problem for next year. And honestly this is how I see it will play out.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/28/14 at 12:20 PM ET

It’s too late int he offseason for him to be waffling

Yeah, except that he isn’t waffling.  He’s training and testing the limits of his body to see if he can still play.

That doesn’t sound like he’s asking himself if he should hang them up at all, but instead that he is doing everything he can to prolong his career and if he does retire it will be because he can’t physically hack it, rather than any question about whether he wants to continue.

Posted by Garth on 08/28/14 at 01:00 PM ET

I would predict 3 years/$10mil for DK.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/28/14 at 07:35 PM ET