The Malik Report

Holland On Signing Cleary

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“We think we’re a better team with Clears,'' Holland said. “He’s a versatile on the wing, he’s good in the locker room. In the end, he flew up (Wednesday) to meet with (coach Mike Babcock) and I at the airport and his message was he wanted to be a Red Wing and he wanted to work with us.

“He hopes to play until he's 38, 39 years of age. He’s 34, let’s take a one-year deal and trust that things will work out based on the coach knowing him, based upon the people that he knows in the locker room and the history of the ownership in Detroit.''

He added, “Over the last 72 hours as this thing as heated up and Dan Cleary wanted to make a decision … we all felt we’re a better team with Dan Cleary and we’ll sort this out.''

Holland said he would like to trade a player before the season opener Oct. 2 vs. Buffalo, but has other options.

added 1:54pm, Cleary talks to the mass of media, watch below and thanks again to Chuck Pleiness for the video...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

“It’s been a long process,” Holland said. “We talked to Dan in July, just before free agency, and we couldn’t find a solution. Ultimately we made some decisions. I know Dan had some opportunities this week and he made a decision to come Detroit on a one-year contract.

“We talked about my managing style and the way our ownership runs our team with loyalty,” Holland continued. “You look at some of the guys here in the organization, like (Chris) Chelios, (Kirk) Maltby, (Kris) Draper and (Chris) Osgood.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 10:56 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Center Darren Helm (groin, back) is almost certain to start the season on injured reserve. The Red Wings also have two players – forward Gustav Nyquist and defenseman Danny DeKeyser – who are exempt from waivers and can be assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

The club also could opt to trade or waive a veteran like Jordin Tootoo or Patrick Eaves.

Why is Helms status a certainty?  Must be Kahn knows something.  Eaves might have trade ability.  Tootoo not.  Looks like Gus is screwed just when he thought he had hit the next level.

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/12/13 at 10:57 AM ET

This is sounding worse and worser.  I was so looking forward to seeing Tatar finally getting his just due to stick with the big club.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/12/13 at 11:02 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/12/13 at 11:57 AM ET

Not that I know anymore than anyone else, but the look on Helm’s face during the interview that was posted here is all the convincing I need that he won’t be starting the season with the team.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/12/13 at 11:19 AM ET

Well this ruined my day, but I’m actually surprised it wasn’t a 2 year deal with a NTC a la’ Samuelsson. Holland’s messed up. But hey, 20 goals from him is what I’ve been reading…

Posted by callmedrw on 09/12/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I really have hated being a Wings fan the past few days.

Posted by Primis on 09/12/13 at 11:27 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Time for Holland to surprise us all and use this signing to engineer a huge trade to Buffalo for Vanek

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/12/13 at 11:51 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

“He hopes to play until he’s 38, 39 years of age. He’s 34,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/12/13 at 11:52 AM ET

He added, “Over the last two months we made some real good moves, you know.  A lot of people are saying that we might have made the best moves off the off-season and I was real, real nervous that I hadn’t done something real, real stupid.  You know, like last year when we made those idiotic Samuelsson and Tootoo deals?  We were real worried that we hadn’t done that this year.’‘

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 11:53 AM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

If coaching and management isn’t ready and willing to acknowledge the overripe young talent coming in from Grand Rapids, then it is time that players like Nyquist stand up for themselves, for their careers, and request to be traded to somewhere they will play.

Posted by The_Firebird on 09/12/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

“We think we’re a better team with Clears,’‘

You’d be an even better team with Tatar.

Posted by Primis on 09/12/13 at 12:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added video of Cleary speaking to the media.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 12:55 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Doesn’t sound like Homer Holland at all. Unless of course Lilja, Leino or Lebda were part of the return package.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 09/12/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Hey guys, I guarantee you this is not a one year deal, Cleary will be here for the rest of his career.  This off season was the last chance to get rid of him.

Yeah, I’ve checked.  Vanek has never played for the Wings so unfortunately we won’t overpay to acquire him.

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/13 at 01:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

“We think we’re a better team with Clears,’‘

You’d be an even better team with Tatar.

Proof please.  Tatar may or may not be a better NHL player (we don’t have proof of that yet) but Cleary does make them a better team.  I’ll accept Holland’s and Babcock’s judgements over anyone in the asylum.

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 01:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If anyone is into numbers worn on the back, Afle says Cleary can hav #11, he may go with #24, which he wore in Sweden.

Big sweater to fill.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 01:26 PM ET

YAWN.  Please, Tatar has more talent has younger legs and can actually keep up with the play at the NHL level.  He may not be Mr. Giggles in the locker room or be everyone’s buddy, which may be why he’s not as valued.

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/13 at 01:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Thank you for proving my point.

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 01:32 PM ET

Under your scenario we should bring back Maltby and Draper because they’re better locker room guys then Nyquist and Tatar, right?  To paraphrase the Ex-Lions coach Daryl Rogers, what’s a guy gotta do around here to make the team?  Tatar was MVP of Calder Cup playoffs, led the team in scoring and was their star player.  He doesn’t deserve to make the team because of Holland’s fondness for ex-Wing players?

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/13 at 01:48 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

This is really disappointing news. One of the young guys will either have to play in Grand Rapids or get traded because in Cleary’s heart, he knows he’s a Wing! Supposedly for life. Terrible signing. If it were Cleary from a few years ago, yeah, it makes the team better. The 34 year old wonky kneed Cleary makes the team worse.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 09/12/13 at 01:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

In case you don’t follow me on Twitter…

Interesting Holland just told @DSports1051 Cleary agreed to deal last night. Reading between the lines, also setting up extension after Jan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 01:50 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 01:54 PM ET

Thanks Paul!  I told you guys, this is not a one year deal, Cleary is here for his entire career.  That is Holland’s MO, he can’t cut ties with Wings veterans or make the tough decisions.

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/13 at 01:54 PM ET

[quoteWe are talking about Cleary, no one else.  But hey, way to put words in my mouth that I didn’t say.]

You value his locker room presence over anything else, including talent so I thought I would just go that extra mile.  Under your scenario, no rookie or prospect without locker room presence is more valuable than Cleary right now.  You are essentially sacrificing your top 3 prospect for Dan Cleary.  Not many people understand that.  These are prospects who have done everything asked of them, and have proven they can play a major role on your team.  I just didn’t think there was much more to be discussed as to who is more valuable at this point.

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Proof please.

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 02:20 PM ET

Prove to me he’s not.

Oh right you can’t because Ken Holland won’t ever let him play…

Posted by Primis on 09/12/13 at 02:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/13 at 03:04 PM ET

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.  I disagree with your premise as you do with mine.  And let’s be honest here, neither you or I are the coach or general manager of this team.  I will take their track record over yours, mine or anyone else.  I’m willing to let things play out instead of posting an instant judgement.  Are you premature in other matters also or do you wait to see what develops before passing judgement. grin

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 02:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Prove to me he’s not.

Oh right you can’t because Ken Holland won’t ever let him play…

Posted by Primis on 09/12/13 at 03:10 PM ET

You made the statement not me so the burden of proof is on you, not me.  Also you are assuming Tatar won’t “ever” be allowed to play.  That’s just silly, you don’t know that and neither do I so what do you say we wait and see what happens before putting 2+2 together to make 6?

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 02:24 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

“He’s a versatile on the wing”

Ummmm, how is a guy who can barely skate with or without the puck on his stick versatile?

Just because they play him on the PP and PK doesn’t mean he’s versatile. Man, I CAN NOT WAIT for another season of watching Cleary stumbling along the ice.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 09/12/13 at 02:45 PM ET

The wings have been a league power for twenty-two years now; one of the reasons for such a brilliant amount of success is loyalty. By keeping certain players for a decade or more they build a true team and further they create an environment where winning becomes inevitable in time. Players who would hate to play anywhere else, love there teammates, know the systems, and can help and teach the promising newcomers are rare and valuable. An example of the opposite is Philly; every year they trade players, often leaders on the team, and as a result they have a wonky track record. Up one year, massively down the next, never becoming a true team in the process. Signing Cleary was popular with the players and management, and i think it shows why this organization has such a winning pedigree.

Posted by Wheresmyhat on 09/12/13 at 04:48 PM ET

klank's avatar

“He hopes to play until he’s 38, 39 years of age. He’s 34

Sounds like Dan spent the night in a Holiday Inn.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 09/12/13 at 05:33 PM ET