The Malik Report

Holland On Making Trades At The Deadline

"From our perspective, how it affects the Detroit Red Wings - we need to win some games. I look at the trade deadline, and there are buyers and sellers, and those that stand pat. And those that stand pat are teams that are on the bubble. You don't want to throw a lot of assets at something that you're not sure if you're going to miss the playoffs. I'm talking about young players and draft picks...."

That's GM Ken Holland talking the trade deadline with Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.  More from Holland as the Wings approach the trade deadline.

Update from George: Here's what Holland had to say to MLive's Ansar Khan:

The Red Wings have been in the market for a top-four defensemen since last summer. They also could use a goal-scoring winger. They are not likely to deal for depth or supporting players (bottom pair defensemen and third- and fourth-line forwards) because they have plenty. And they'll have more depth when and if injured forwards Darren Helm, Mikael Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi and defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo return.

The Red Wings must decide if it's worth trading a good prospect and high pick if they're going to struggle just to make the playoffs.

“The more games you can win of the six (before the deadline), it lets you think you got a chance to be a playoff team and you can maybe try to add something,'' Holland said. “Let's see. The way I'm thinking, there's probably 15-20 (teams) like the Red Wings, who want to see what's going to happen here the next little period of time.''

Parity and the abbreviated 48-game season could limit trade activity simply because there figures to be fewer teams out of the playoff picture in 12 days, meaning fewer sellers.

“Obviously, separation creates conversation, which ultimately leads to player movement,'' Holland said. “There's probably a little more separation in the East, The West is really jammed up. But, I still expect things are going to happen. Are big things going to happen? I don't know. But I still think we're just under two weeks away (from finding out).''

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

What’s happened to you, Tick Tock?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 03/22/13 at 03:54 PM ET

I will cry if we don’t make moves and miss the playoffs. Literally, and I’m not ashamed to say it. I shed tears over this team. I care. I want them to succeed. Im rambling. Sh*t.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/22/13 at 03:54 PM ET

What a boob.

Posted by Garth on 03/22/13 at 03:56 PM ET

Rather than hearing from Holland, dammit Id love to have a conversation with Illitch, just to see what he thinks and how he feels about the current state of the Red Wings.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/22/13 at 03:57 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Trade? You mean trade players? To another team?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/22/13 at 03:57 PM ET

Crow's avatar

And those that stand pat are teams that are on the bubble.

They weren’t on the bubble last year, but he still decided to stand pat.  What was his excuse last year?  I think it was something like…“I like our team”.  We all know that almost every team in the West(except Chicago and Anaheim) are on the bubble, so basically he is telling us that he is not going to do sh*t at the trade deadline.  This team needs a shake-up trade(ie Shannahan circa ‘96).  Standing pat will bring the dead wing era part deux.

Brilliant, Kenny, Brilliant.

Posted by Crow on 03/22/13 at 04:15 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Standing pat has brought on the dead wing era part deux.

Altered for content.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/22/13 at 04:23 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Hey hey its pizza night! What me worry?

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/22/13 at 04:29 PM ET

What’s happened to you, Tick Tock?

He’s no longer the GM of a team that can spend its way past bad trades.

Seriously, why is this such a tough concept for fans to grasp?

In the simplest possible language:

1) There are no trades out there that might plausibly jump the Wings from mid pack to top of the pack.

2) The trades that are out there are very ‘expensive’ because there are very few teams openly selling.

3) If a big trade flops, and the vast majority of big trades flop, then the Wings are set back even farther into the pack by needlessly expending assets for limited/no return.

In the face of all of that, fans are yowling about Holland not being aggressive at the deadline… and those exact same people do very little but blast Holland when he does make trades.  Pretty much all that is out there right now is some version of a ‘Quincey for a #1’ trade.  Mediocre at best dmen and forwards from failing teams that are going for WAY more than a GM should be willing to pay.

The only time it makes macro-level sense to be ‘aggressive’ now is in the offseason, where teams can acquire guys for nothing but their contract cost.  During the season unless it’s a huge gaping need or a deal that just can’t be refused it’s stoooooopid to be aggressive.

Detroit’s not good enough to have any trade put them in striking distance of a playoff favorite.  Since that’s the case (and if you don’t think it is, go away), what bleeping sense does it make to blow future #1’s that have a pretty decent shot at being top 15 picks or current prospects who have a pretty good chance of being NHL players within 2 years just to lose in the first round in 7 rather than 6 or in the second round in 6 rather than 5?

It’s a stupid strategy being proposed by people who enjoy trade activity but who aren’t responsible in any way for what happens a month, a year or three years down the road.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/22/13 at 04:50 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

it makes macro-level sense

It do?

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/22/13 at 05:01 PM ET

This team needs a shake-up trade(ie Shannahan circa ‘96).

And if that trade was out there, Holland would take it.  The Shanny trade was a no-brainer because it was an elite goal-scoring forward and all it cost was a roster center, a vet dman on his way out the door, and a #1.

If an Ovechkin or a Vanek or whoever was offered for Fil, White and a #1… you don’t think Holland makes that move?  Give me a bleeping break.

The problem is those moves are gone.  They don’t happen anymore.  There aren’t many salary-dump sellers because it can be hard as hell to get to the floor.  There aren’t many standings-dump sellers because the cap keeps all the teams pretty close, talent-wise… or at least close enough to be able to sniff a #8 spot if they get hot for a couple weeks at the right time.

That means the market of players available at the deadline is much, much smaller so the prices to get one of those guys is much, much higher.

Standing pat will bring the dead wing era part deux.

You saying something like that leads me to believe you were a zygote when it happened, because whining about the Wings ‘only’ being a top 10 team in the West when in the era you mention they were one of the two or three worst teams in the whole NHL… dude, you have no idea how much more enjoyable what Detroit is now is than what it was then.  Literally none.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/22/13 at 05:01 PM ET

It do?

Toot toot!

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/22/13 at 05:02 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Brilliant, Kenny, Brilliant.

Posted by Crow on 03/22/13 at 05:15 PM ET

Exactly.  What Kenny said is fine, because it’s true, if you don’t think you have a contender, why trade furture assets?  But the problem is, even when the Wings are serious contenders, he still does nothing the past several years.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/22/13 at 05:11 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/22/13 at 05:50 PM ET

Ok, except he doesn’t do anything to help the team during free agency anymore either.  Sammy, Tootoo, and Colaiacovo?  Please.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/22/13 at 05:15 PM ET

perfection's avatar

You do have to look at the big picture. Do you want the kind of team that goes all out for the cup one or two years and then has to tank to the bottom of the league in order to rebuild? Or do you want a team that continues to make the playoffs every year, thus at least theoretically having a chance to win the cup?

I think most would say the second which is how Holland is playing it. If a rental player or two isn’t going to increase our chances of winning the cup all that much, there’s just no reason to do it. Especially when there will be much better options in the off-season. The same player will cost half as much at the draft as they will at the deadline. It’s why Nash couldn’t be dealt at the deadline but was in the summer.

re. standing pat the last few years (Quincey aside), whether you like it or not, it was Kenny saving money and space for Suter (or Weber at that time). It was a gamble to attempt to add a top-2 dman for nothing. Seeing that it came down to the wire, it was worth the gamble. But the fact that it didn’t work definitely hurt us. I actually think that’s the biggest factor in our mediocrity this year. Holland really did a masterful job the last few years NOT making impulsive and overpriced deals so he could go balls out for Parise and Suter. We’d be a different team with those two guys. The fact that those guys took as long as they did to make a decision hurt us all the more. But seeing Illitch personally attempted to seal the deal I think implies strongly that he blessed that strategy.

The fact that it didn’t work - whether you blame the Wings management or simply chalk it up to the fact they decided to stay home - really put us in the position we are in as a “bubble” team. When you consider our injuries on top of our losses, it’s pretty crazy we are still running nose to nose with Vancouver, San Jose, etc. who appear to have much stronger rosters on paper.

I kind of hope Holland doesn’t do much this deadline. The way it’s shaping up there will be very few quality players with an insane amount of buyers trying to outbid each other. I’d honestly rather see him sell off guys who we aren’t/can’t resign and let the younger guys play out the rest of this season. We either make the playoffs and they get valuable experience or we fall just short and get a lottery opportunity, which sucks, but is the way everyone else builds cup teams.

In the meantime, we could get some draft picks or prospects and have a lot of flexibility this offseason with UFA’s, buyouts, and even trades.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/22/13 at 05:29 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

We’ve read all this before.  Nothing new to see here. Move along.

Posted by gt500x on 03/22/13 at 05:38 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/22/13 at 04:57 PM ET

letsmakeit12: “Mr. Ilitch, thank you very much for taking the time to speak to me. The way you and your organization support internet bloggers like George Malik and the Herm to Hockeytown fundraiser show how forward thinking you are.”

Mr. Ilitich: “Your Welcome, letsmakeit12. What does your screen name mean? I’m always where bloggers get their screen names.”

letsmakeit12: “Well, sir, it is a reference to your Detroit Red Wings and their quest to win the Stanley Cup for the 12th time.”

Mr. Ilitich: “Interesting, wait…uh..what? I still own the Red Wings? I thought you were a baseball blogger. I’m sorry I have to go. I’m late for a meeting with Quicken Loans. I’m trying to borrow some money to bring Curtis Granderson back next season. He’ll be a free agent in a matter of months.”

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/22/13 at 05:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

They weren’t on the bubble last year, but he still decided to stand pat.

I know it’s been brought up before, but come on.

Could you tell me who Detroit selected in the first round last year?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/13 at 06:12 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/13 at 07:12 PM ET

Kyle Quincey finds a way to ruin every day.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/22/13 at 06:41 PM ET

christpuncher's avatar

Remain calm… All is well… ALL IS WELL!!!!!!

Posted by christpuncher from Detroit, MI on 03/22/13 at 06:42 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/13 at 07:12 PM ET

Kyle Quincey finds a way to ruin every day.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/22/13 at 06:43 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Really?  It feels the same right now.  I use to go on the Mickey Redmond tours for the away games before they were good and during, so I think I can make my own determination of what I saw.  If you don’t like it, too bad.

Keep drinking the cool aid pal.

Posted by Crow on 03/22/13 at 07:07 PM ET

I’m really smart.  Blah, blah, blah.
Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/22/13 at 05:50 PM ET

We get it, HD.  You don’t care if the Wings ever do anything proactive to take a chance at getting better.  That’s great.  Some of us would like to see signs of life in the management.  Some of us would like to see a GM who doesn’t accept multiple early exits in a row.

You don’t care.  Great.  Fine.  So why do you post your pages-long screeds that never say anything of substance at all?

Posted by Garth on 03/22/13 at 10:12 PM ET