The Malik Report

Hold your nose, Wings fans: here comes ‘Alfie by Osmosis’

The press-doesn't-speak-to-Alfie rule must have applied as Red Wings forward Daniel Alfredsson made an appearance at the Bell Sensplex today wearing Ottawa Senators gear and an Ottawa Senators practice jersey, annoying more than a few media and fans. Instead of Alfredsson speaking with the media, what I've got for you is Erik Karlsson telling the Canadian Press that he'd deal with it...

"It's pretty normal, I mean he's been doing it for a while," the Senators defenceman said with a laugh. "It's when he puts the other jersey that it would feel a little different probably."

Alfredsson joined other NHL players at an informal skate at Bell Sensplex on Monday. Last week the former Senators captain made headlines when he said negotiations to bring him back to Ottawa for another season "went nowhere," causing general manager Bryan Murray to publicly defend the front office.

The 40-year-old Alfredsson signed a one-year deal with the Detroit Red Wings July 5 as a free agent after negotiations with the Senators fell through. Karlsson has grown close to Alfredsson, a fellow Swede, and even lived with him at times. He admits things will be very different without his mentor around on a daily basis.

"For me on a personal level it's going to be tough for me, we're close friends and he's helped me out a lot. I only wish him all the best," he said. "I still think we'll be friends.

"I don't think it's that sudden and I'm just happy he's still playing," Karlsson added. "We have to move on and I think we have guys on the team that's ready to take the next step and as of right now everybody's pretty excited to focus on our game and becoming a better team."

Alfredsson's departure after 17 seasons with the Senators undoubtedly means a change of leadership will have to take place, but Karlsson is confident the team will be able to adjust accordingly.

"There's going to be changes inside the locker-room and on the ice and I think the group of guys we have are going to handle that perfectly I think," said Karlsson. "I think there will be no problems moving on from here and as I said it was just a matter of time before Alfie was gone."

And Karlsson reiterating his points to the Ottawa Citizen's Allen Panzeri:

On the subject of the team, Karlsson thought that even with the loss of close friend Daniel Alfredsson, the Senators have a stronger roster than they did last year, thanks to the addition of Bobby Ryan and Clarke MacArthur.

Karlsson said he’ll obviously miss Alfredsson, but added he wasn’t surprised at what happened. Things change in professional hockey.

“He’s 40 years old,” said Karlsson. “This was coming anytime soon, anyway. I don’t think it’s that sudden.

“I’m just happy he’s still playing, and we have to move on.We have guys who are ready to take the next step, and as of right now everybody’s just excited to focus on our game and become a better team.

“Obviously on a personal level, for me it’s going to be tough. We’re close friends and he’s helped me out a lot. I only wished him all the best and I think we’ll still be friends.”

Touching.

Update: Joy of joys, the Ottawa Sun's Tim Baines, via RedWingsFeed, decided that we must share Sens fans' grumbles.

Get out of there, Alfredsson. It's nuts.

Update #2: TSN and Sportsnet posted, "ZOMG" videos. Please, Alfie, head down the Trans-Canada and the 401 to Detroit. Now.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

SK77's avatar

Jesus Fuchin Christ. Who cares? Stop posting all this Alfie crap.

Posted by SK77 on 08/19/13 at 07:41 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

Keep up the good work George.  Any news is great at this time of year.

some kid - go read a comic or something

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 08/19/13 at 09:28 PM ET

TEMO's avatar

Posted by some kid on 08/19/13 at 07:41 PM ET

Don’t like it?  Don’t read it.

Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 08/19/13 at 09:28 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

ALPHIE NEED LOVE - DETROIT NEED ALPHIE

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 08/19/13 at 09:41 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I have no problem whatsoever with people complaining about this stuff. It annoys me. But I have an obligation to post “news,” even if it drives me as nuts as it does you. I can’t pick and choose what I report in that regard.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/19/13 at 09:46 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t mind any of the Alfie stuff. He’s a Red Wing now, so report it as much as you want to. Imagine how it is in Ottawa. Guy doesn’t even play for their team anymore and I bet he’s their entire sports section right now.

Posted by awould on 08/19/13 at 10:11 PM ET

I wonder what the entire city of Wahttawa would have done if Alfie wore a Wings jersey instead…

*GASP* (thudding sound).

Obviously, he should have went topless…nah, they would have bitched about that too.

For fuch’s sake, cry me a (manufactured) river.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/20/13 at 12:48 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

He should’ve just put an “X” in front of the Senators logo in red hockey tape. That would’ve pissed everybody off.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/20/13 at 12:56 AM ET

Yeah, either that, or fashion a Winged Wheel out of red hockey tape to cover the sens logo.  I’d pay to read the aftermath.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/20/13 at 01:25 AM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Alfie needs to get the puck out of there real soon. Like before some crazed fan with abandonment issues reacts. I’m almost scared for the guy. And his family.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 08/20/13 at 06:34 AM ET

I can’t pick and choose what I report in that regard.

That’s ridiculous, of course you can.

Posted by Garth on 08/20/13 at 08:42 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

He must have understood the reaction that it would cause when he pulled on that jersey, so I think it’s natural to raise some questions. Is this meant to be a stick in someone’s eye? Does he just like attention? Maybe Alfie’s having as much trouble letting go as the fans are?

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 08/20/13 at 09:18 AM ET

The same Red Wings fans saying people in Ottawa are stupid for reacting to this would be doing the exact same thing if Fedorov did so after signing with the Ducks. Get over yourselves guys.

Posted by Chris M on 08/20/13 at 11:22 AM ET

No one here said people in Ottawa are stupid besides yourself, and I’m beginning to see your point.  Like I said: would it have been better if he wore a Wings jersey?  He can’t win with you people.  Re: Fedorov?  I stopped caring about him when he left town.  Novel concept, but try it.  I’ve actually tried to empathize, and imagine what I’d feel if Yzerman or Lidstrom bolted to a different town, but it’s impossible because we’re talking about the Detroit Red Wings here.  Players come here to win, not leave.  Our owner’s not a dipshit blowhard, our GM isn’t his confused revisionist lackey, and most fans aren’t a bunch of whining sycophants.

And you’re telling US to get over ourselves??

Daniel Alfredsson is the reason you still have a hockey team; go somewhere else and enjoy what’s left of it.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/22/13 at 03:35 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Hey, hey, chill. It’s okay that Ottawa fans are emotional and it’s okay that we’re emotional about this issue as well. This is a messy divorce and it tends to screw with feelings on both sides thereof.

It REALLY sucks for Ottawa fans, but it sucks for Wings fans in its own way. Daniel Alfredsson’s been my favorite non-Wings skater for over 15 years now, and yet I feel like a dick for cheering his addition. It’s…It sucks because it does bring up memories of the Fedorov divorce and it sucks because we’re the beneficiaries of others’ pain.

Sens and Wings fans…I think we’ll have to learn to live with each other.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/22/13 at 04:46 AM ET

awould's avatar

For me, being a sports fan is about emotions. I love my team and for other teams I either hate them, don’t care or pity them. Same goes for the fans of other teams. So when a player leaves my team by choice, my focus tends to stay on my team. I sort of don’t care once a guy is gone. Fedorov was a good example…. long-time Wing, left for what I thought were selfish reasons. I enjoyed watching his career fade because I wanted him to regret leaving the team I love. So yeah, I indulge in a little schadenfreude but what I don’t do is cry about a player leaving like a jilted lover. Get over it. Either accept he left and cheer him on in some way or hate on him and let that grow into a heated rivalry, or forget about him.

But don’t act like he did something personal to you. He didn’t.

As for Ottawa fans, what REALLY sucks is their ownership is a mess and their GM sounds like a liar. Alfie leaving isn’t the problem, it is a symptom. But all it does for me is make me appreciate Illitch and Holland all the more. Go Wings!

Posted by awould on 08/22/13 at 12:28 PM ET