The Malik Report

Hold your horses regarding the Bertuzzi-Moore settlement reports

Big update: Via Paul and the CBC's Michael Drapack:

Less than three weeks from the start of what could have been a lengthy civil trial and after eight years of litigation, former Colorado Avalanche centre Steve Moore has reached a settlement with Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks.

Geoff Adair, a lawyer for Bertuzzi, confirmed the case has been "settled in its totality" but said the terms are confidential.

"We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.​"

Moore had been seeking $68 million in damages, and the civil lawsuit was scheduled to begin on Sept. 8, which originally was filed in 2006.

"We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email.​

Every time I've posted an entry about it, TMR readers have said that it's "not news" they're interested in, but Paul noted that there's a report that Todd Bertuzzi's lawyers and Steve Moore's lawyers have reached an out-of-court settlement, CBS Sports, Pro Hockey Talk, the Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, MLive, Michigan Hockey, WDIV, the Denver Post, the Toronto Sun and Toronto Star are all running with it, but TSN's Rick Westhead's Tweeting news that suggests one should not count chickens before they hatch (as is Sportsnet):

As does the New York Times' Jeff Z. Klein:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

one should not count chickens before they hatch

True, you could end up with egg on your face.
Guy walks into a deli and says, “I’d like a chicken salad sandwich and an egg salad sandwich.”
Cashier says, “You must be hungry.”
Guy says, “No, I just want to see which comes first.”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/19/14 at 01:54 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

For what it’s worth, George, I’m interested and people can scroll if they aren’t.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/19/14 at 02:25 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Agreed.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/19/14 at 02:28 PM ET

awould's avatar

Agreed.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/19/14 at 02:28 PM ET

Agreed x2

Posted by awould on 08/19/14 at 02:48 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I care about the Bertuzzi-Moore case because Bertuzzi grew up into a genuinely positive, kind, sincere and engaging human being during his second tenure with the Wings, and I just want him to pay for his horrible act and to be able to move on with his life—as I want Steve Moore to get his money and finally be allowed to move on and live his life.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/19/14 at 03:08 PM ET

awould's avatar

his horrible act

What he did was dumb and a total d*ck move. But if Moore hadn’t been injured, nobody would really even talk about it. It’s perceived as this horrible thing because the results were so tragic. It’s like doling out the suspensions based on the injury status.

Moore’s hit on Naslund was a nasty hit and also a d*ck move, but he got lucky and no serious injury resulted.

Moore deserves recompense and Bertuzzi should pay it. Not saying anything otherwise. But the label everyone’s put on Bertuzzi as some evil soulless man for the incident just isn’t justified.

Posted by awould on 08/19/14 at 03:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Bertuzzi’s not a monster. Human beings do horrible things to each other, but they remain human beings.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/19/14 at 03:23 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Please keep us updated.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/19/14 at 05:14 PM ET

George Malik's avatar