The Malik Report

Highlights from a superb Datsyuk interview from Sport-Express

Pavel Datsyuk gave an incredibly long interview to Sport-Express's Igor Eronko yesterday, and it's an interview that tends to break online translators because it's so long, but the interview is also more than worth your time.

TMR reader Vadim posted some of the more interesting parts of the interview in English-language translation, and here are Vadim's selections from Datsyuk's Q and A:

Q – Do you think [Danis] Zaripov will succeed in NHL?

A – First, he needs to sign a contract. It will not be easy, but he is a very good player. A lot will depend on what team will end up with.

Q – Would you like to see him in Detroit?

A – I do not think that’s the best scenario for him. He will be better in Washington or Rangers. It will be tough for him in Pittsburgh, they have first two lines already. And third and fourth line is not for him.

Q – You once said that Babcock made you the player you became.

A – He gave me a lot. Asked me to concentrate on defense. Made me more of a defensive forward. Especially closer to
the end of my career. But in general every coach added something. Bowman, on the other hand, allowed me to play my game and improvise. Even though I was so young.

Q – Blashill is called Babcock’s clone.

Q – They are even talking alike and do not smile.

A – That’s their style, they are focused all the time, no time for jokes. Canadian school: cannot smile and make players relax (smiling).

Q – Vitalij Vishnevski was saying that Babcock had an interesting approach: before the playoffs series he was
giving each player a task to study one of the opposing players. The coaching staff was making their own dossier and then every player was sharing his research in front of the team and then everything was combined in one book. Does anybody else do that?

A – I did not have that many coaches in my career, but Mike did exactly as you said. I do not think Bowman had the same approach. But Blashill who worked a lot with Babcock had the same system.

Q – Bowman does not have enough fingers for all his championship rings. How do you remember him?

A – He was my coach in my first year in NHL. I remember everything from that time. He always invented different exercises, sometimes showed his displeasure. Was not talking much, but with his strong character, he was making all the stars work as a team. Everybody worked hard and nobody complained. At least nobody showed dissatisfaction.

Q – Detroit had many stars back then

A – Yes. And everybody wanted to play the piano. But nobody was shying away from pulling the piano.

Q – As soon as you left Detroit, they missed the playoffs for the first time in 25 years

A – It’s not even that important they missed the playoffs. In most recent seasons, there was constant talk: will Detroit make or miss the playoffs. Can Detroit win the Cup did not seem to be of interest to anybody. Everybody talked only about making the playoffs. So, it’s very good the Red Wings missed the playoffs. The recharge started. There was so much pressure when we were making the playoffs 24th and 25th time in a row. It seemed like we made it and the goal is achieved. Now everything will change, there will be no such pressure and they will be to see the ultimate goal. In reality you need to fight for the cup and not just to make the playoffs.

Q – If you will be elected to the Hall of fame, and the possibility is very high, you will be elected as Arizona player.

A – I have not thought about it yet

...

Q – Andrei Markov said that he wants to play 1000 games in NHL, so he is thinking that in 2 years, when his contract is up, he might return to NHL

A – How many games he has left?

Q--10

A – I still 50 to go, the whole season. I am not thinking about it. But everything is possible. Just need to prepare for it. To have a goal.

Q – Fedorov at one point passed to you “Russian banner” in Detroit. Can this banner be passed to Svechnikov after you?

A – In 2002 every NHL team had at least 1 Russian player. Now not that many team have Russians. So, it’s not easy to pass this banner. Svechnikov has a good chance to make Detroit roster if he continues the same way. But it’s too early to call him a banner carrier.

Q – But he has the talent...

A – Yes, he has, but there are a lot of talented players who do not fulfill their potential. I think talent and hard work go together.

Q – Urban Dictionary has a word “Datsyukian”. If the dribbling is fantastic and cannot be explained, those tricks are Datsyukian

A – Ken Daniels came up with this term. He is a good commentator.

Q – Do you consider your heritage that your name is used in SIRI and even in slang?

A – I think when I stop playing and it will disappear. There will be a new word, Mc Davidian for example.

Q – Do you have a goal you remember the most

A – Against Nashville and a backhander against San Jose. But what I remember most is how I was not able to score in OT when Larionov scored the game winner against Carolina. I had a good chance in the fist OT, I created it myself, but did not finish. I still remember that. Did everything right, but too young, not enough skills. But the decision was correct. It’s now I am analyzing, still in my head.

Q – And how about a great goal against Turco...

A – It was not the game winning goal. The goal was impressive, but I did not have the same drive. That was at the end of the game.

Q – Zetterberg by the way also announced that he will leave to Sweden with 1 year remaining on his contract.

A – “Oh, Zetterberg also announced”, - you are saying it as if he learned it from me. Datsyukian is a disease now. Leave with 1 year left in the contract. This is his decision. And in any case, he had a great career in Detroit.

Q – Crosby is working very hard?

A – He is working very hard on the ice, does tons of work.

Q – Players complained Crosby hits your hands with the
stick on the faceoffs...

A – That’s all in the past already.

Again, Datsyuk continues at extended length...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I felt the question about Hall of Fame was strange. Is Dats really going to be elected as Arizona player and not Detroit player?

Posted by VPalmer on 08/31/17 at 11:51 AM ET

Burr87's avatar

Best quote: “In reality you need to fight for the Cup and not just to make the playoffs”. So telling, even the players can figure it out, wonder why the GM can’t?

Posted by Burr87 on 08/31/17 at 12:14 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Is Dats really going to be elected as Arizona player and not Detroit player?

Posted by VPalmer on 08/31/17 at 11:51 AM ET

Hopefully it is like football and Pavel can be signed by the Wings down the Road for a nominal amount, then retire as a Wing.

Entering the Hall as a Yote is just plain Wrong!

Great interview, Pavel didn’t miss much going on in the NHL.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 08/31/17 at 12:22 PM ET

Is Dats really going to be elected as Arizona player and not Detroit player?

No. It’s not like that at all. You simply go in as a player, not with a specific team.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/31/17 at 12:40 PM ET

pavelcatsyuk's avatar

These interviews always give me hope that Datsyuk might come back. I know there is almost no chance, but I miss watching him play.

Posted by pavelcatsyuk on 08/31/17 at 01:06 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

In reality you need to fight for the cup and not just to make the playoffs.

Somebody needs to remind little Kenny Holland of that. Somebody like Chris Ilitch.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 08/31/17 at 01:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He’s mentioned it a few times now in the last couple months, talking about a possible return in the future.

I have a good feeling the reason we’re middling in mediocrity is because of CI.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/31/17 at 01:27 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 08/31/17 at 01:26 PM ET

“If you expect to win cups, you’re in the wrong league.”

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/31/17 at 01:57 PM ET

Temo's avatar

Didn’t Chris say he has “complete confidence” in Kenny? I.e. We’re fcuked.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 08/31/17 at 02:19 PM ET

Someone needs to tell Chris Illitch that.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/31/17 at 02:50 PM ET

Posted by Burr87 on 08/31/17 at 12:14 PM ET

Kh is the professional I think Ill defer to his opinion

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/31/17 at 03:01 PM ET

Datsyuk genuinely seems happy that he’s escaped this dumpster fire.

Posted by fatsavage on 08/31/17 at 03:39 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

My biggest gripe with the direction this team has taken.

Datsyukian is a disease now.

Pavel was always great for a laugh.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 08/31/17 at 04:34 PM ET

How can datsyuk know they werent competing for a cup just playoffs?  Hes acting too cool for school for someone not even with the org.  Hrrrmmmm

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/31/17 at 04:55 PM ET

“A – Blashill is not really a clone, simply Detroit has a certain system in place that started with Babcock.”

Pretty telling statement and interview. Thanks for posting George.

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 08/31/17 at 05:15 PM ET

My interpretation of this…Blashill is following a similar system as Babcock, but otherwise he shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence as Babcock. You get the sense Datsyuk highly respected Bowman and Babcock, but then viewed Blashill as a huge phony.

Posted by fatsavage on 08/31/17 at 05:23 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I always appreciate a Datsyuk interview.

I farking miss that guy.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/31/17 at 05:24 PM ET

gowings's avatar

I always appreciate a Datsyuk interview.

I farking miss that guy.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/31/17 at 05:24 PM ET

Me too

Thanks for posting the interview George

Posted by gowings from MTL on 08/31/17 at 06:38 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

There is so much good stuff in here. He’s so damn humble.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/31/17 at 06:39 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I always appreciate a Datsyuk interview.

I farking miss that guy.

I miss him also. He and Howe were two of the best Red Wings to watch for me. You never knew what they would do next. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 08/31/17 at 11:22 PM ET

I don’t know about huge phony, but I have very little doubt that if Holland and Blashill weren’t around, Datsyuk still would be.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 09/01/17 at 09:27 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/31/17 at 04:55 PM ET

“If you expect to win cups, you’re in the wrong league.” - Ken Holland when Datsyuk was still in the organization.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 09/01/17 at 11:25 AM ET