The Malik Report

Hey Keep It Down

from Mike Martindale of the Detroit News,

Two of the Detroit Red Wings’ most popular and talented players could face eviction because of complaints by neighbors in their condominum complex about their noisy late-night activities.

The Main Street Lofts Condominium Association have filed a lawsuit in Oakland Circuit Court seeking an injunction against Darren Helm and Tomas Tatar requiring them to comply with the association's rules or "vacate the premises."

Helm, 27, is on the record as co-owner of the condo but is believed to have moved out. Tatar, 23, is his tenant and resides in the third-floor unit.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Surfer Ken's avatar

Boys will be boys.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 03/28/14 at 02:14 PM ET

They are young and they got money. Good for them

Posted by George0211 on 03/28/14 at 02:15 PM ET

perfection's avatar

plus they work nights. if a game ends at 9:30, they aren’t getting back to the suburbs till 11 at the earliest. of course they’re unwinding after midnight.

I work nights sometimes and can relate. day workers just think they own the world. I can’t listen to music at 3am but you can sure mow the lawn or jackhammer the street outside my window at 7am!

but this is partly why I’ve lived in Chicago for the past 13 years and not the burbs. You gotta be pretty much blowing the roof off for people to complain about noise. it’s city life. I’m sure Detroit proper is the same way, but apparently no professional athletes feel comfortable enough to live down there yet. I hope that changes with the new stadium.

anyway, party hard Tatar… as long as you keep scoring little buddy

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/28/14 at 02:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah that’s cool that he’s just temporarily renting out another player’s place. As a pending RFA subleasing, that makes me feel very comfortable about his future.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/28/14 at 02:27 PM ET

Yeah, good for them, they’re rich why do they need to be considerate of their neighbours?

Posted by Garth on 03/28/14 at 02:28 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Right, most of these guys ride a bike for like an hour after the game too, figure more like midnight before they get home. Not to equate beer league to the pros, but I can’t sleep for a while after I play,

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 03/28/14 at 02:47 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I second that Murray.  If I have a 10:15 beer league game, my legs are still skating until 2 am.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 03/28/14 at 03:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...excessive noise has been heard from the players’ condominium “up to four nights a week” between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m. including “loud music, yelling and banging on the floors and walls.”

Neighbors reported hearing the following in a heavy Czech accent, “G.D. it. If that fat-ass Donkey doesn’t start playing as hard as I do, I’m going to take his f-ing knee caps out.” smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/28/14 at 03:55 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/28/14 at 02:27 PM ET

]

He is also a young kid without a surplus of experience in the real world in a foreign country whose language he speaks but misses the nuances of.  He has mostly been in Detroit only in season while he has other things to worry about.  For that matter, he clearly ranked below Nyquist last year in terms of franchise esteem so he has had little certainty he wouldn’t be traded in the first decent d-man package to be found (this year I’d say he gave himself some trade insurance with his play).  Seems like some pretty decent decisions (which I think was your point).

The being obnoxious to his neighbors bit, on the other hand… I think it’s a good idea to withhold judgement until more details came out.  These things tend to be worded in the worst possible light.  The question I always ask (I can’t get the story to pull up now, it might be answered within) is… Have they tried to talk to them in a reasonable manner?  Lawsuits are very often a substitute for open dialogue and that’s more than a little sad.  There’s bound to be some entitlement from an elite athlete but there’s also an inherent coachability factor and self discipline with most of these guys that makes them able to be reasoned with in a way they a lot of other rich young people can’t be.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/28/14 at 05:51 PM ET

BenjaminKGT500's avatar

I’m sure glad the News reported this. I’m aghast at the notion that some guys in their low 20’s are acting like guys in their low 20’s! For shame, for shame, tsk tsk tsk

Posted by BenjaminKGT500 on 03/29/14 at 08:44 AM ET