The Malik Report

Here’s the Wings’ summer development camp roster, try-outs included

Updated 3x at 6:54 PM: Sproul and Macek are participating, Jurco’s wearing #28 and RWC’s Sarah Lindenau was spot-on about the try-outs: From my greedy little hands to you, here’s the Wings’ prospect development camp roster, try-outs included, for those of you who are interested as the youngsters—who didn’t arrive in Traverse City until this morning—get their feet wet with a pretty spirited practice:

Team Lidstrom:

Goal:

38 Thomas McCollum
66 Tyson Teichmann*

Defense:

2 Brendan Smith
32 Adam Almquist
64 Danny Dekeyser*
42 Max Nicastro
15 Richard Nedomlel
Update: Yes, Ryan Sproul is here and he’s wearing #62
3 Brad Walch*

77 Jake Chelios*

Forwards:

Update Tomas Jurco is wearing #28
53 Louis-Marc Aubry
65 Mitchell Callahan
71 Travis Novak*
Update: Yes, Brooks Macek is here and is wearing #50
74 Alan Quine
29 Marek Tvrdon
73 Phillipe Hudon
72 Zachery Franko*
49 Jesse Fraser*

Players with asterisks next to their names are try-outs.

Update: The first group has left the ice at 3:41 PM—team Lidstrom skated first—and Team Zetterberg will skate from about 3:45-4:45. There are several members of the MSM here as well as the Red Wings’ website’s staff, and on the executive front, I’ve seen assistant GM/capologist Ryan Martin, Ken Holland (briefly, talking on his Blackberry), power skating consultant Tomas Storm and Cranbrook-Kingswood coach Andy Weidenbach, who will get down to business tomorrow.

This really is a “getting your feet wet” skate, with Griffins coach Curt Fraser, assistant coach Jim Paek, Red Wings video coordinator Keith McKittrick and director of player development Jiri Fischer running the show as usual.

Thus far, passes have been off at times, Fraser and Paek have repeatedly stopped drills to demand a crisper pace or better execution and while Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist have hammed it up a bit, most of the players seem pretty darn serious.

I believe that Richard Nedomlel cramped up halfway through the 2:30-3:30 practice as he headed back to the bench and never left.

Update #2: Names and numbers fixed. You try writing and talking to Ken Holland at the same time.

Update #3: RedWingsCentral’s Sarah Lindenau was spot-on, via her Left Wing Lock Blog:

Tyson Teichmann A 6-foot, 146 pound goalie who plays for the Belleville Bulls. The former first round selection in the OHL priority draft backstopped the Canadian Under-18 team to a gold medal in 2010. Teichmann is a butterfly style goalie who’s inconsistent play is likely the reason why he was not drafted and was an early cut from the Canadian World Junior selection camp this season.

Danny Dekeyser – A 6-foot-2, 170 pound defenseman who played for Western Michigan University this season. The Algonac Michigan native is a stay at home defenseman who is a good skater and plays with a physical edge.

Adam Estoclet – A 6-foot-2, 172 pound forward wrapped up his collegiate career earlier this Spring while attending Dartmouth College. The Orno, Minnesota native played seven games with Providence of the AHL after signing a amateur try-out contract.

Brad Walch – A 6-foot-1, 209 pound defenseman is another Michigan product who currently plays for the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL. He’s a rugged defenseman who plays a steady defensive game.

Zach Franko – A 5-foot-11, 175 left wing who opted to play for Kelowna of the WHL after originally committing to Bemidji State University. Franko is an undersized offensive forward who notched 22 goals and 53 points as a WHL rookie.

Evan Mosher – A 6-foot, 186 pound goalie who has played the last three seasons for the PEI Rockets of the QMJHL. Mosher posted a respectable 2.79 goals against in 57 games this season marking his first sub .300 season to date.

Travis Novak- 5-foot-11, 160 pound forward who has spent the last three years at St. Cloud State University. The 22 year-old forward nearly had his hockey career halted when he suffered an ugly neck injury in November the resulted him laying on the ice for 25 minutes.

Artem Sergeev – A 6-foot-1, 205 pound defenseman who played for Val d’Or of the QMJHL last year. The Russian native is an offensive defeseman who who makes a good first pass.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Cheli’s kid eh? Nice.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/07/11 at 05:18 PM ET

Team Captain and Team Future Captain?

Also, what current wings show up to help out?  Any?

Posted by Jacob Russell from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/07/11 at 05:35 PM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

Where is Tatar?

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 07/07/11 at 05:46 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Tatar, Sheahan and a few other guys are taking college courses this summer. I’m gonna miss Tomas as he’s a super guy as well as a fantastic player.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/11 at 05:49 PM ET

Can’t wait to hear you assessments of these kids over the next week.

Very curious about how Almquist and Nyquist hold up.

Posted by JP on 07/07/11 at 05:50 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Cheli’s kid eh? Nice.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/07/11 at 03:18 PM ET

I think it is Cheli’s kids…as in Jake and Dean

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 07/07/11 at 06:11 PM ET

what about macek

Posted by l white from washington on 07/07/11 at 06:13 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I’m going to put a prediction out there and say that Almquist is going to look too good in a camp of mostly juniors—his passes will be two steps ahead of his teammates most times, he’ll make the smart play with others two steps too slow to support him, and if he can keep up physically, when he takes on the play solo, he’ll look scary genius.  For the last two seasons he’s kept up the play and not looked out of place on HV-71’s senior squad—no mean feat.  Think the 2007-08 Wings squad for level of control and execution.

It’s good to finally see him at one of the camps.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/07/11 at 06:21 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

George - very interested how McCollum performs. He had a difficult year last year, interesting to see if he can put it behind him.

Posted by joedaiceman on 07/07/11 at 06:22 PM ET

I imagine that some of those asterisked names are undrafted picks from the last draft.  Wings like to call them, “free picks.”  Will be interested in those kids, too, George.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/07/11 at 06:26 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s gonna take a day or three to figure out who these “new guys” are but I’ll do my best. Definitely interested in them. Thus far, Novak looks REAL solid.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/11 at 06:32 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I want to see how Jurko does.. im pumped about this kid being a wing someday

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/11 at 06:39 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I remember reading about that kid last year.. was he at last years prospect camp? I know I remember his name

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/11 at 06:41 PM ET

Where’s Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen?

Posted by Mo from Michigan on 07/07/11 at 07:18 PM ET

wheres Sproule?

Posted by Mo from Michigan on 07/07/11 at 07:23 PM ET

journohoff's avatar

Did anyone else notice that Tomas Jurco is wearing #26? Could this be a definitive sign that Hudler is going to be gone?

Posted by journohoff from Detroit, MI on 07/07/11 at 07:48 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I actually talked to Riley Sheahan’s mom for a long while at the end of last season and at that time Riley was planning on going to prospect camp… he also was leaning towards going pro and suiting up for grand rapids next year. She actually told me that at that time (and this was before Nyquist went pro) Holland wanted him to go pro while Nill was against it and wanted to him to come back for one more year at UND. I saw her again after the season ended and she said he had decided to come back for one more year in college after all, which I think is super smart. Not only will it only be his 3rd year (the same amount Howard, Smith, and Nyquist all played), but he’s actually really young for his grade on top of it. I got to see him play a handful of times last year and he QB’s the pp from the point, kills penalties, takes all of the most important faceoffs, and is on the ice in all crucial situations both offensively and defensively. He would barely play on the Griffins, so I think it’s definitely the right decision. I guess this decision also meant summer school and no prospect camp though.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/07/11 at 08:09 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

In George’s previous post it listed Jankrok as not attending the camp. I really wanted to read about him. The Wings brass say he won’t even need time in the AHL when he’s physically ready for the big show. That says a lot about his talent level.

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/07/11 at 08:17 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Why is cheli’s kid playing?  He isn’t a wings prospect.  He sucks just like the rest of the other chelios kids.  I’ve watched him and his brothers at msu, and they are just there b/c of their name.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/07/11 at 08:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Sorry, I was doing three things at once. Sproul and Macek are there and their names have been added to the list.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/11 at 08:46 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Also: regarding the players’ numbers, in the summer it’s relatively common for players to wear whatever they want…and as it turns out, Jurco’s wearing #28. Again, sorry!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/11 at 08:48 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

They’re probably at the camp so they can become better players… novel concept I know.  Show some respect for these kids.. damn..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/11 at 09:01 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Ericsson should be in this camp.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/07/11 at 09:41 PM ET

I was hoping they would invite Jesse Forsberg to the camp. So much for that I guess.

Posted by Vader from over here on 07/07/11 at 09:47 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/11 at 07:01 PM ET

So then every kid deserves respect because of who they are and not for how they play?  Why can’t I go to the came to become a better player?  I’m 23 years young.  Ignorant response.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/07/11 at 10:11 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

camp**

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/07/11 at 10:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Why can’t I go to the came to become a better player?  I’m 23 years young.

Probably because you’re even worse than the Chelios boys.

Maybe because nobody likes you.

Who knows?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/07/11 at 10:15 PM ET

Holy hell…

Just looking over Sarah’s initial observations on the undrafted kids, it seems like the Wings scouts are stacking up on the big, mobile PMD with substantial hockey sense.  With their emphasis on over-ripening their prospects, I really cannot wait for our future to be on the ice with the big club.  They’re gonna be men.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/07/11 at 10:16 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

No.. they deserve respect because they are kids trying to better themselves.. chances are you get your rocks off talking shit on youngsters cause you’re not happy with where you ended up at 23 and the fact ken holland thought enough to invite them back since they were at last years camp as well.  Troll

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/11 at 10:16 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI

Somebody call the whaaaambulance.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/08/11 at 12:46 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Yeah, why should a family organization with a long history of going above and beyond the call of employment do something kind for the children of one of its assistant coaches, anyway?  I mean, the argument is so persuasive—has anybody called Ken Holland and told him that Cheli’s kids suck?  I’m sure if he heard that from an anonymous fan, he’d immediately realize how strong a point it is, and the error of his ways, and dismiss Dean & Jake.  And I’m sure Mike Illitch would piss on Cheli’s shoes for good measure.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/08/11 at 03:30 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I’m sorry I didn’t know that Chelios meant so much to everyone.  Apparently he’s up there with Yzerman; he and his kids are untouchable.  My bad.  Not.  Nobody owes anything to Chelios.  Build a couple of sh*tty restaurants and stick around till your 80 and your a god in this town.  Chelios’ kids play on the 4th line on a recently terrible state team.  They should give spots to those who deserve it.  I’m sorry I don’t “respect” every friggen young person who plays hockey and has a famous dad.  I mean there’s only say a million.  And it helps that Chelios is an a*sshole too.  He F**ked everyone between here and LA while he was married and is not a nice person to talk to.

Chances are you get your rocks off talking shit on youngsters cause you’re not happy with where you ended up at 23 and the fact ken holland thought enough to invite them back since they were at last years camp as well
Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/11 at 08:16 PM

I was making a point more than attesting to my skillz.  Actually I’m quite happy as an attorney thank you for asking.  I don’t “get my rocks” by shitting on youngsters.  It’s called reality.  They suck.  I’m sure all those “youngsters” really don’t cry themselves to sleep over it either.  But I’m glad you’re there looking out for them, dolling out confidence trophies to minor players everywhere

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/08/11 at 06:59 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

It’s a camp. It’s a chance for the team to see what they got. Holland and Nill, while yes, they probably do, don’t have a chance to sit and watch tape of every single hockey game at every level all year long. If Cheli’s kids can’t hack it, then they won’t be playing for the organ-I-zation. What’s the big deal?

Chelios is a dick. Everyone knows this. He also can run a conditioning camp better then most people on this planet, and he did play solid defense in his prime. Detroit gives people second, and sometimes third, chances. Let ‘em at least try.

Of course, Holland should’ve listened to you and not given Cleary, Drake, or Bertuzzi a second look, right?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/08/11 at 07:05 PM ET