The Malik Report

Here’s the Flames’ video tribute to Brad McCrimmon

The Calgary Flames incredibly classily honored former Flame and Red Wings player and assistant coach Brad McCrimmon before tonight’s Red Wings-Flames game. Here’s the video clip they aired at the rink, and it was lovely to see Mrs. McCrimmon, Brad’s kids, mom, dad and brother Kelly all in attendance as they received silver pucks and a framed McCrimmon #4 jersey from the Flames’ brass:

I know the Wings flew Maureen, Carlin and Liam out to Calgary; I believe McCrimmon’s mom and dad still live in Saskatchewan, and Kelly coaches the WHL’s Brandon Wheat Kings in Manitoba, so I’m guessing that they’ll have some family time together as the Wings head to Vancouver before heading back to Alberta to tangle with the Oilers on Saturday night. As the McCrimmon family lives in Northville, the Wings’ organization has made sure to take good care of the Mrs. and Carlin and Liam.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Good video.

Posted by Bugsy on 02/01/12 at 12:18 AM ET

I didn’t hear it as I had the FSD feed but according to some in the Live Blog said that the Flames announcers said it was better than the tribute in Detroit.

Pathetic.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/01/12 at 01:47 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

The Wings flew the family there and the Flames announcers still had the gall to say that?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/01/12 at 02:15 AM ET

Actually what was said by the Flames TV guys was that Detroit media people were saying “this was better than the tribute in Detroit”.

I liked the tribute and don’t care who flew who around. The fact that it got done is really what matters.

RIP Brad.

Posted by Iggy_Rules on 02/01/12 at 02:34 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This was an incredible ceremony.

I had the Flames feed and I can verify that they did not make the claim that it was better than the one in Detroit.

The entire Flames organization did this one right. I absolutely loved the moment of applause.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/01/12 at 03:31 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t think the Wings could have done something that elaborate given that they were about a month out from McCrimmon’s passing anyway—they’re doing their best to take care of McCrimmon’s family (more on that in the overnight report), and at the time, their job was to have a very quiet and very simple ceremony to honor somebody whose funeral they’d attended a few weeks prior to puck drop.

It doesn’t matter who does things better…It matters that these ceremonies take place and that the family finds solace in them. If they get more elaborate over time, awesome.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/01/12 at 03:44 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/01/12 at 01:44 AM ET

I couldn’t agree more.  The Flames did a wonderful job on this tribute, and I am glad I was able to see it.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/01/12 at 09:04 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

That is a wonderful tribute by the Flames.
Well done!