The Malik Report

Here we go again…

This took about five minutes. Yesterday, Red Wings coach MIke Babcock discussed his contract status with the Free Press's Helene St. James and the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, explaining that he neither wants to talk contract turkey during the regular season, nor does he want to sign until Ken Holland's inked, but less than 24 hours later, The Fan 590 poured fire on the, "Babcock to Toronto" spiel:

"He loves the media!" Um, no, not so much.

Meanwhile, as Hockey Canada formally announced that Tom Renney would succeed Bob Nicholson as the organization's presidnent...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

“Babcock Covets Marlies Video Coordinator Job, Sources Say”

That will be a headline in some Toronto newspaper in the next two months, mark my word.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/15/14 at 04:01 PM ET

Of course, TO.  Of.Fuching.Course.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/15/14 at 04:41 PM ET

perfection's avatar

meh… it mirrors the comment sections of every hockey blog there is. there just isn’t anything to talk about right now. once free agency is over and the actual hockey media take their tiny summer break, everyone else is left to just widely speculates and bitch and moan and fret for a month. And then the preseason starts and there’s a collective sight of relief and everyone goes back to talking about actual hockey

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/15/14 at 05:12 PM ET

perfection's avatar

oops… “sigh” of relief

stupid phone

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/15/14 at 05:13 PM ET

awould's avatar

everyone goes back to talking about actual hockey

can’t wait.

Posted by awould on 07/15/14 at 05:21 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

HSJ even mentioned Toronto when she posted about contact negotiatons.  They sure are bored this summer…

Posted by TreKronor on 07/15/14 at 05:38 PM ET

gowings's avatar

“He loves the media!”

LOL just hilarious…..too funny…..really? Yeah, no

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/15/14 at 05:41 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Everyone here knows I am no fan of Babs. Whoever is responsible for Babcock’s contract (KH? Chris Ilitch? Mike Ilitch? Someone else?) needs to get their ass in gear and either extend him a new deal or fire him ASAP. It is very difficult for any lame duck coach to coach pro athletes; they know they don’t have to listen to the coach. It is also a giant disrespectful FU to the coach. I may not like Babs and hope he is not renewed, but he deserves and has earned the respect of either being let go now or given a new contract before the season starts.

It will be a colossal distraction all season and undermine Bab’s authority with the players. Extend him or fire him, I really don’t care, but just do it before the season starts.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/15/14 at 05:50 PM ET

It is very difficult for any lame duck coach to coach pro athletes

Edmund, do you really expect Babcock to be a lame duck coach? I kind of agree with your “extend him or fire him now” sentiment, but I think he totally controls the situation.
If he wants to get extended, it will happen tomorrow (or next day after KH is extended). My opinion he wants to keep his option open. We might analyze and overanalyze his moves and line combinations, but to the rest of the league, he is the best coach in the league and he knows it. If I had to bet, I would say he will end up in Pittsburgh.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/15/14 at 06:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 07/15/14 at 07:19 PM ET

You must have me confused with someone else, my name is not Edmund.

I disagree with your assertion that Babs is in control. One, If Babs had the control or juice you think he does, a new K would have been done by now, because you and I agree that he would not want to be a lame duck coach. Two, Babs tried to assert what little control or juice he does have by telling Helene he wants to sign a new deal before the season starts and he won’t negotiate during the season. So far, no reaction from the club.

I haven’t read a single piece by a national or outside Detroit hockey writer that has called Babs the best coach in the NHL. Sincerely, please direct me to them if you can.

Does the current situation (GM and HC simultaneously heading into a lame duck season) sound like something one of the best run franchises in sports would do? Would the NHL’s model franchise let its GM and HC twist in the wind over an entire off season (and potentially through hockey season)?

Something is messed up at Ilitch Enterprises/Olympia Entertainment. I suspect (but have no facts to support this thesis) that Christopher is in control and is perhaps a little over his head. I am witnessing something similar out here in LA with Jerry Buss’s children running the once proud Laker franchise into the ground.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/15/14 at 06:56 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t much care about what the world thinks of Babcock. Best coach? 2nd best? 5th?Either way, it would be a strange thing if he weren’t immediately the top of every coaching vacancy if he were to declare himself available. He’s easily among the top few active coaches.

But to your point…. this came up pretty easily via google.

Probably there are other links. Probably some think Quenneville or Sutter are tops right now. Who cares, its obviously subjective. Point is, Babcock could write his ticket to a lot of teams, and Toronto would likely throw bags of cash his way since he’s a hero for coaching two Gold medal teams.

Posted by awould on 07/15/14 at 07:13 PM ET

You must have me confused with someone else, my name is not Edmund.

I thought you are Edmund from redwingscentral. Maybe that was Captain Bob. In any case, I apologize.

I disagree with your assertion that Babs is in control

I mean in control in terms of Babcock knows he will be in demand if he is not signed here. So, he knows he is wanted here and wanted elsewhere. He is not worried about his future at all.

Maybe “one of the best” is more appropriate. He was chosen as Canada Olympic coach twice for a reason, he is very much respected around the league. If you ask other coaches and GMs and media, I think he will be mentioned in the conversation, always. Any time you listen to a nationally televised game and you can often here “there are good coaches in NHL, but Babcock is on a different level”.

I am witnessing something similar out here in LA with Jerry Buss’s children.running the once proud Laker franchise into the ground.

Interesting comparison and I really hope it will not happen, but the similarities are there if you think about it. Their (Lakers) best player is getting old and they could not get a single prominent free agent although they tried hard for Melo. And even Gasol left them.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/15/14 at 07:20 PM ET

Just to throw some gas on the fire…... The Penguins just fired their GM and head coach because they haven’t been an effective playoff team since 2009.

The Red Wings haven’t been an effective playoff team since 2008. I don’t understand the fan loyalty to Babs and Holland at this point.

Both teams could be contenders again with some moves. Not all of the moves the Pens have made a good moves but they are at least trying to make a difference.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah on 07/15/14 at 08:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Gosh, I guess making it to Game 7 of the Finals in 2009 isn’t an effective playoff team.  You have a ridiculously high standard of what constitutes an effective playoff team.  This isn’t fantasy hockey.

Posted by calquake on 07/15/14 at 09:24 PM ET

This is where the oft-maligned Wings approach to ‘loyalty’ plays a positive role.  If it is generally understood within the organization that Babcock and Holland will be back, then the level of stress about them not having ink on the paper is lessened.

I may not like Babs and hope he is not renewed

Wait a second… is that for real?  Seriously there’s someone who wants Babcock out as coach?  Oh man.  Detroit’s had two fantastic coaches here in the modern era.  Bowman and Babcock.  I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to start experiencing the new version of a Lewis or Demers or Murray era.  Yeah, Babcock’s got some foibles.  You know what’s harder to deal with than foibles?  Being awful.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/15/14 at 09:28 PM ET

awould's avatar

Since losing to Pens in Finals….

Round 2 loss to SJ in 5
Round 2 loss to SJ in 7
Round 1 loss to Nashville in 5
Round 2 loss to Chicago in 7
Round 1 loss to Boston in 5

Not 1 Conference Finals appearance isn’t great if you’re a team that fancies itself a legit contender. And if you’re not a legit contender, and don’t have a bad owner, something needs to change.

I honestly think the Wings are 1 good defender and maybe some maturity of the younger guys - and a healthy streak - from being a legit contender. The efforts to improve the D have been swings and misses for 3 straight summers now. We literally have Quincey to show for it. The only positive thing has been the extension of Ericsson, who has improved greatly since signing his deal, and the development in Grand Rapids.

Posted by awould on 07/15/14 at 09:40 PM ET

awould's avatar

You know what’s harder to deal with than foibles?  Being awful.

I think the list of coaches that could’ve pulled the Wings across the playoff finish line last season is pretty damn short. I’m not a fan of some of Babcock’s foibles, but yeah, the idea of a Tortorella or a Crawford or some other jackass behind the bench scares me, some carousel of has-beens and also-rans.

Posted by awould on 07/15/14 at 09:42 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I would agree.  But I also think there are a fair number of other teams we could say the same about - many of which also want a good dman but have struck out as well.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/15/14 at 09:50 PM ET

That says something about just how hard it is to find/acquire a good defenseman. Finding ones to play 4-7 is fairly easy but getting guys who are capable of playing a lot of minutes against top guys and running the powerplay is a different story.

Almost all the top guys were acquired by draft since the cap went in place. The few that were acquired in free agency came from low payroll teams who were almost too stupid to realize just how important that piece is.

The best solution to Wings problem may to be waiting/hoping for one of the young players to grow into that role. I hate having to wait but the reality is there may not be another realistic option.

Posted by evileye on 07/16/14 at 01:43 PM ET