The Malik Report

Henrik Zetterberg Will Skate With The Team Tomorrow

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

“I don’t know if he’ll be in a full practice, but he’ll be on the ice at the start of it, be on for a little bit then get off,” Holland said. “Then we’ll see how he is Wednesday.”

Zetterberg underwent successful surgery on Feb. 21 in New York to remove part of a disc which was rubbing against a nerve, which caused severe back pain.

“It’s eight weeks on Friday,” Holland said. “He skated on his own a little bit last week. It’s just the next step along the line or rehabilitation. The timeframe is we need another week before we can have any discussions where he’s at.

“It’s good news he’s going to skate with the team (Tuesday), but the bigger news is how does he feel on Wednesday,” Holland continued. “Then, if feels good enough to skate on Wednesday then the next bigger news will be how does he feel to skate on Thursday.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

If the Wings start the series down 0-2, will the masses call for an “early” Zetterberg return?

Posted by TreKronor on 04/14/14 at 02:54 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Only if they don’t care about the long-term success of the team and, more importantly, the long-term health of Z. He needs to take as long as it takes to fully recover. The risk for an injury from a too-early return far outweighs any potential reward.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/14/14 at 03:12 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I agree with OTC. Rushing Z back to the ice is a foolish position and I worry that the Wings will sacrifice all next season for a futile cup chase this year. The fact that Grand Rapids plus a few all stars made the post-season in the NHL is an achievement enough.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/14/14 at 03:14 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He needs to take as long as it takes to fully recover.

Couldn’t agree more.  I’m giddy as heck for next season already, and I want a healthy Z arould to lead them next season.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/14/14 at 03:15 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Even just having Captain Hank skating casually on the ice with the team will be a huge boost to that locker room.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/14/14 at 03:24 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

My guess is Zetterberg will be the one pushing to get back early once he sees the puck drop Friday

Posted by Hootinani on 04/14/14 at 03:26 PM ET

I agree. He shouldn’t come back too early. Next season is going to be awesome.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 04/14/14 at 04:13 PM ET

I was saying “next season will be awesome” after the lockout season ended. Then injuries.

God, I hope next season is the season this one should’ve been. Actually, it should be even better…sounds harsh, but we won’t have so many spare parts lying around next year.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/14/14 at 04:17 PM ET

If there is 0-2, there is no need to rush Z back whatsoever.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/14/14 at 06:44 PM ET

I am SUPER excited for next season. We’ll have a decent team for sure. A lot of the younger talent got some NHL Experience. We should hopefully land a decent D man in the offseason and we will shed some dead weight in Cleary, tuzzi, Sammy, tootoo. Should be a great year with some decent cap. We may or may not keep alfie or legwand but we’ll see. I really see the next few years as promising. Maybe we’ll move Franzen in package for a good D man?

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/14/14 at 07:18 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Everyone realizes that the Red Wings made the playoffs, right?  Just wondering.

“Next season” is now.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 04/14/14 at 10:05 PM ET

Looking forward to sweeping the bruins.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 04/14/14 at 10:11 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Everyone realizes that the Red Wings made the playoffs, right?  Just wondering.

“Next season” is now.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye’s garage, circa 1987 on 04/14/14 at 10:05 PM ET

Exactly.