The Malik Report

Helm May Play In Game 1

Paul for George.

The biggest news to come out of today’s practice is this…

via Ted Kulfan tweet,

Helm says he is more optimistic for game one

via Helene St. James tweet,

Helm says “slight possibility for Game 1” more likely game 2

Somewhere in there has to be a middle spot.  Does Helm play tomorrow?

added 1:36pm, via Chuck Pleiness tweet,

Helm says he is closer than he was yesterday to returning. Has not ruled out game 1

added 1:46pm, via Detroit Red Wings tweet,

Babcock on Helm: ‘All he has to do is tell me he’s playing and he’ll be in there.’

added 2:34pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings center Darren Helm said there is a “slight possibility’’ that he could be ready to play in Game 1 of the playoffs Wednesday at Nashville.

“Hopefully, if it feels really good tomorrow, I’ll go, if not then our goal was Game 2 or 3 anyway,’’ Helm said after practice today at Joe Louis Arena. “If I’m in for Game 1, great, but the second game I will be ready by that one.’‘

Helm, out since March 17 with a sprained left MCL, ditched the gray non-contact jersey for a red one in practice.

“I’ve got a lot of energy. It’s nice to back practicing with lines,’’ Helm said. “It’s pretty close for the time for me to get going again so it’s pretty exciting.

He said he hasn’t had contact yet, however.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Put him in for Cleary please.

Posted by Garth on 04/10/12 at 03:44 PM ET

Happy Easter.

Posted by Herm from the office on 04/10/12 at 03:44 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Praise be to the 8 pound, 6 ounce new born infant Jesus.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/10/12 at 03:58 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Put him in for Cleary please.
Posted by Garth on 04/10/12 at 01:44 PM ET

This this this… a thousand and 19 times this…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/10/12 at 04:05 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Helm at 50% would be faster than Cleary at almost 100%.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/10/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Great news! Helm will be in for Emmerton though. Which is fine by me. Then when Cleary can’t go anymore Connor will be in.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/10/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

Helm at 50% would be faster than Cleary at almost 100%.

Cleary scored 26 goals during a season where he mostly healthy.  Cleary hasn’t been healthy all season, so I think this is a bad of overreaction.

Posted by Heaton on 04/10/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Does George have some serious medical condition? I swear every year he disappears for 2 weeks.

Posted by Datsyukian_Burger from Mitten on 04/10/12 at 04:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by Datsyukian_Burger from Mitten on 04/10/12 at 02:30 PM ET

George can answer that for you, feel free to email him at georgemalikatkuklaskornerdotcom

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/10/12 at 04:40 PM ET

Remaining hopeful he’ll play in G1.  Definitely need his forechecking hell vs. the Preds.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/10/12 at 04:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There is going to be a big problem for the Red Wings in penalty differential when the third lines match up. The faster Darren Helm can come back, the better. Despite my faith in Cleary’s better ability to score goals than many of the other options, I’m more concerned with our third line acting in a more traditional grinding/energy role and leaving more of the scoring up to the top players.

I would much rather have Chris Conner in the lineup for Danny Cleary. I would take Andersson or maybe Sheahan, but Conner is a better option for me. People are continuously confused that a lack of size somehow translates into a complete inability to play a simple game or win a board battle.  You’d be surprised how much speed and agility can do that for you (while helping draw penalties).

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/10/12 at 04:52 PM ET

From the limited times, we’ve seen The Rifleman play, JJ, you’re spot on centered.  I also would rather have him in the lineup over Cleary.  FFS, he’s 100% healthy.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/10/12 at 04:57 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/10/12 at 02:52 PM ET

This. By Helm a million times THIS.

And HELMELUJAH! Please let it happen that God returns for game 1.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/10/12 at 05:01 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Dear fuching christ, that is some fantastic news.  The only better news would be hearing he’s taking Cleary’s spot.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/10/12 at 05:14 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Buckets sayin he’s only 50 % ? Another stupid statment by a Wing player at playoff time. First it was Legase talkin suicidal, then choppers Modano talkin retirement last year now this? Maybe Buckets has worn out his welcome with this idiotic statement and go away like the others during the summer break.

If Babbles thinks this is one of his best players to put in the lineup , then this team is screwed and tatooed depth-wise.

Put the Rifleman in with Helm and Miller as a “grind line”.  Wish Eaves was back, but what the hell .

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/10/12 at 11:18 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

cool

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/11/12 at 12:11 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t think the Wings should be putting in guys who are saying the day before game 1 of the playoffs “I might be able to.”  that’s just asking for them to get hurt worse and then not contribute at all for the rest of the playoffs.  let the healthy guys play, let the injured guys heal.  the playoffs are looooonggg….or at least we hope they are.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/11/12 at 01:18 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

It won’t be long fellas…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/11/12 at 02:25 AM ET

Lucce's avatar