The Malik Report

Helm Ready To Return

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Start the countdown clock on Darren Helm’s return to the Detroit Red Wings lineup —and the likelihood Jordin Tootoo won’t be a Wing much longer.

General manager Ken Holland received as uplifting a text as possible today from Helm, reporting that all was well after two games in the minors and a nine-hour bus journey.

That’s putting Helm on a brick-paved path to playing Saturday, when the Wings host the New York Rangers. The Wings host the San Jose Sharks tonight (Monday) at Joe Louis Arena, but since Helm was put on Long-Term Injured Reserve to start the season, he has to miss a minimum of 10 games and 24 days. Helm will return from the minors to rejoin practices as he prepares for what will be only his second NHL game in 2013.

“He told me he’s looking forward to being in the lineup next weekend,” Holland said. “This is a major step, it’s great news.”

continued

added 6:07pm, Ansar Khan of Mlive on Helm returning

“He said the back felt great, conditioning and timing have a little ways to go,’’ Holland said. “From a health standpoint, everything is well and he’s looking forward to being in the lineup this weekend.’’...

Fourth-line center Luke Glendening will be reassigned to the Griffins, but the Red Wings will need to trim one more player.

Jordin Tootoo appears to be the most susceptible.

The Red Wings had no luck moving Tootoo over the summer. Nashville, his former club, was among the teams they contacted.

If they can’t deal Tootoo for a draft pick or prospect this week, he might be waived. If he is waived and claimed, his entire $1.9 million salary cap hit (for this season and next season) would come off the books. If he clears and is assigned to Grand Rapids, the Red Wings would get only $925,000 in cap relief under the new collective bargaining agreement that makes it more difficult to bury veterans in the minors.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

GET NAKEDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 10/20/13 at 05:43 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added a bit more from Khan to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/20/13 at 06:09 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

Holland also said that Niklas Kronwall (mild concussion) won’t play Monday against the San Jose Sharks, but could return for Wednesday’s home game against the Ottawa Senators if he has no setbacks in his recovery.

Kronwall had to be taken off on a stretcher after being hit from behind by Colorado’s Cody McLeod in the first period of the Wings’ 4-2 win over the Avalanche on Thursday.

Kronwall also suffered cuts on the right side of his face after his head was slammed into the glass just 2:13 into the first period.

Kronwall did remain with the team on its trip to Phoenix.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/20/13 at 07:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t know who it was on Twitter who was at the GR’s game but…. they didn’t seem to believe Helm was ready.

And that makes me nervous to see these “GUYS!  Helm is ready!” articles and posts.

Posted by Primis on 10/20/13 at 08:22 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

baby steps

L/G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/20/13 at 09:07 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 10/20/13 at 08:22 PM ET

I’m unfamiliar with the twitter chatter, but did they indicate he was slow/ineffective or that he still appeared to be playing hurt?  Because from the Wings/NHL/LTIR standpoint “Helm is ready” has nothing to do with anything but his health, not his conditioning or play.

Posted by Garth on 10/20/13 at 09:24 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 10/20/13 at 09:24 PM ET

It wasn’t exactly the “he looks fine but out of step” description.  It was more along the lines of “Helm doesn’t look anything like himself” which didn’t exactly inspire confidence.  I’ve looked back for the tweet to try and quote it exactly, can’t for the life of me find it buried in my timeline.

My concern from it is he’s healthy, but not the same player.

I hope I’m wrong.

Posted by Primis on 10/20/13 at 11:31 PM ET

Of course if Eaves comes off LTIR as well, now Holland get’s to try to find a way to free up 2 roster spots and just under $2 mil in salary.  Have fun with that, since no one seems to want any of the players Holland’s trying to trade.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/21/13 at 12:51 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I don’t see any motivation for the Wings to rush Helm back (or for Helm to rush himself back), so if he says he’s ready, he’s probably as ready as he can get. The Wings aren’t lighting the league on fire, but they are sitting at the top of the Atlantic through nine games. With a condensed schedule, they’ve played pretty well overall in spite of having to work out the best recipes for the second, third, and fourth lines, and having laid a couple stinkers against the Coyotes. Definitely not a situation where I would expect them to rush Helm. If anything, I would be more concerned about Helm being dishonest with management because he’s anxious about his position having been on the shelf so long, and now seeing guys like Andersson and even Glendening playing well enough in their respective roles.

I can’t help but think if reports on Helm said he looked unlike himself, it might be everything to do with him simply being on the ice to do things he needs to do and try to be confident in his body. These are essentially like preseason games for veterans… you can’t really put much stock in what you see, unless of course he looks hurt still.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/21/13 at 09:50 AM ET

My concern from it is he’s healthy, but not the same player.

As much as everyone assumes/thinks/hopes the team will be better with Helm, it could be pretty ugly before he gets back into proper game shape.

I would really love for Holland to do more than the bare minimum so that they could actually keep Glendening up for a little longer and let Helm get in a few more practices with the big team before actually playing.

Posted by Garth on 10/21/13 at 09:51 AM ET