The Malik Report

Hearing For Pulkkinen

from NHL.com,

Detroit Red Wings left wing Teemu Pulkkinen will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety at the League's New York offices Thursday for a boarding incident during a preseason game against theChicago Blackhawks Tuesday night at United Center.

Pulkkinen was offered the opportunity for an in-person hearing as required by provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for any suspension that can exceed five games.

continued

You can watch the hit below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

An in-person hearing usually means the player is looking at more than a 5 game suspension.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/18/13 at 08:18 AM ET

PDXWing's avatar

If this is more than a game or two, I will be surprised. Though, I am frequently surprised by these rulings. If he got a game misconduct, that should suffice, but as it is preseason, it probably won’t. A 5+ game suspension would be ridiculous.

Posted by PDXWing on 09/18/13 at 08:26 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I agree that 5 or more would be excessive. But there’s no doubt he screwed up here. You could argue this is an example of a young guy without NHL experience making a novice mistake, but I guess to me, that’s actually an argument for suspending him for a game or two. Guys need to be taught early you can’t fly in to try to put someone into the stands… you’ve gotta have enough control so that you can stop in a situation like that where the guy you’re going to hit pulls up away from the wall. While it was technically boarding, it looked to me like the bigger issue was simply the speed he came in with. If he eases up a bit as he’s coming in he would’ve had the time to realize the position the Hawks’ player was in and avoid the hit. Certainly didn’t look intentional.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/18/13 at 09:40 AM ET

Hard hit. If you have time to look over your shoulder, make a move back the other way, and then get wrecked, it isn’t on the player anymore. Had the player kept going the way the boards curved it would of been a great hit. Worst case they would of maybe gave a boarding call / no suspension. They would of only called that because players don’t know how to play hockey.

I have seen this 100 times playing hockey, I even took a class as a kid to learn how to take this hit. You continue to skate forward and take the hit.

Posted by scubastevie on 09/18/13 at 10:04 AM ET

Bradley97's avatar

No question that’s a major charge. How badly is the other guy injured? That will determine the over/under number of games for this suspension. Pulkkinen should know by now that he cannot race off the bench and blindside someone like that. That play should be a match penalty every time with any additional punishment to be determined upon further review. Glad they are waiting until Thursday. That gives Pulkkinen a chance at 5 or under.

Posted by Bradley97 on 09/18/13 at 10:05 AM ET

The bottom two images here I think are the most telling http://imgur.com/a/ZGi5d . I agree with scubastevie’s analysis after re-watching the hit a few times. Unfortunate we don’t have a better view of the whole thing, the two angles are pretty poor for seeing how bad the hit was.

Posted by ryst on 09/18/13 at 10:41 AM ET

If you compare this hit with some of the boarding suspensions from last regular season, anything more than 2 games would be excessive.  5+ would be a joke and nothing more than message sending on the part of the NHL.  Therefore I totally expect 5 games.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/18/13 at 10:55 AM ET

perfection's avatar

i think this was simply a case of nerves. First shift, first game of the year (in his first NHL game even?). He got too excited.

I also saw it very clearly in person and he DID try and ease up at the last second. It wasn’t “full force”, though he realized what was going on much too late, was coming in much too fast and definitely mad a bad hit. I really don’t think it really calls for further suspension, but it looks like that decision may have already been made?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/18/13 at 11:29 AM ET

d ca's avatar

Uh…how is that a hit from behind at full force on Pulkkinen? He didn’t even go straight into the boards…

Charging major…sure

Boarding…nope

Boarding is the call that was blown on Chicago’s game 7 OT score.

Suspension over a game…nope

And the lesson should be keep your head up ice or you will be crushed.

Posted by d ca on 09/18/13 at 12:01 PM ET

I love the Chicago announcers on this. Or, is Pulkkinen that slow that it takes him six seconds to skate from the bench to the end boards. If he is that slow he should be cut.

I don’t know much about this rule but does it matter if the player has the puck or not? Is it all about the fact that Pulkkinen hits him when the guy’s head is turned? It also looks like Pulkkinen hits him shoulder to shoulder and not squarely in the back. Does that matter? Pulkkinen has completely stopped his stride as Kaska (sp - who cares) skates in his general direction.

I guess I’m just not seeing what is wrong with this hit. But I am unfamiliar with Charging Rules.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 09/18/13 at 12:38 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

This is good insight is appreciated.  It makes perfect sense to me after watching the clip again.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/18/13 at 07:02 PM ET