The Malik Report

Hawks’ Mayers fined for shooting pucks at Jimmy Howard during Game 5 warm-ups

Updated 4x at 1:37 PM: Before Game 5, Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers tried to "stir things up" while helping his fellow Blackhawks work on faceoff during warm-ups before Game 5 between the Blackhawks and Red Wings, but Mayers also made sure to shoot some pucks on Jimmy Howard from the Blackhawks' side of center ice (it's not that uncommon for a player to chip a puck into the opposition's empty net after goalies have left the ice as territory-marking, but it's frowned upon), and the NHL did not take too kindly to Mayers' breaching of playoff etiquette:

Update: Well of course Mayers isn't contrite at all. Chicago leadership at its best:

Quite frankly, in addition to being cheap, allowing this kind of thing to happen is dangerous. You can ding an unsuspecting opponent in the skates or the back of the legs, and if the opponent falls over and gets concussed or injured, that's scary stuff.

Update #2:

Update #3: The Chicago Tribune's Chris Kuc spoke with the...repentant Mayers?

"I was trying to get under their skin, I'm not going to hide behind it or lie to you," Mayers said following the Hawks' morning skate prior to Game 6 on Monday at Joe Louis Arena. "The league fined me and took the appropriate action and I'll play the piper.

"All of us in there will do anything to win," Mayers added. "I don't want the focus to be me. I was just trying to get under their skin. The guys are playing unbelievable and playing really well. We've got a huge task in front of us."

Update #4: Mayers issued similar statements to the Chicago Tribune's Chris Kuc.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Whole thing is kinda’ silly.  Silly that he’d do such a juvenile thing to begin with, and silly that the NHL then needs to fine him for it.

Posted by Primis on 05/27/13 at 12:56 PM ET

Shades of Fraud LePuke when he was with the Habs.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/27/13 at 12:58 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I think it says more about Mayers that I though he was retired then anything else.  I guess that’s one way to get some press eh Jamal?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/27/13 at 01:08 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/27/13 at 01:08 PM ET

Well you know how it is, a Top Six guy with STL is a Bottom Six guy anywhere else…

Posted by Primis on 05/27/13 at 01:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

As I said in the post update, it’s not just cheap—allowing players to shoot pucks toward opposing players whose backs are turned to you = nailing guys in the skates and shins and tossing pucks at goalies who aren’t ready for shots. You can knock people over, and helmet or no helmet, they might get injured or concussed.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/27/13 at 01:23 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well of course Mayers isn’t contrite at all. Chicago leadership at its best

I’ve come to understand that the Hawks not only don’t have any respect for other players, they really don’t have much respect for themselves or the game of hockey.

If any Red Wing had done that, he’d be in Babcock’s office (and dog house) so fast it’d make his head spin. And he’d probably hear a word or two form Mr. Lindsay and Mr. Howe the next time they were in the locker room.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/27/13 at 01:38 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

stay classy Chicago

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/27/13 at 02:22 PM ET

Crater's avatar

My only question: Jamal Mayers who? Seriously. I don’t know the name.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 05/27/13 at 02:40 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Why didn’t a Red Wing fire a puck at that idiot? At least it would of woke up the team who was cleary out-hustled for most of that game.
Don’t take any crap from their jerks in the pregame, jeez.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/27/13 at 04:37 PM ET