The Malik Report

Gustavsson Again Tonight

added 11:44am,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

stonehands-78's avatar

gotta ride the winning horse,

’ ... it’s aboot points, winning games and getting points ... ‘

now lets see if Weiss can step it up,too.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Same lineup as last night,  Wings held a very optional morning skate, only Howard, Datsyuk and DeKeyser were skating.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 12:38 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Ouch. I’ll bet that puckered up Howard’s cheeks when he heard about it.

But thank goodness The Monster is playing as well as he is right now. And thank goodness for Jim Bedard. He’s almost literally made a new goalie out of Gustavsson. And I woudn’t be surprised if he’s also played a hand in McCollum’s turnaround.

Too bad the Wings don’t have an extra forward available so Babcock can bench Cleary and send him a message too. Oh, wait, he has sent him a message. It says: “Great job, Danny Boy. Your reward for your great play is a spot on the second power play unit.”  tongue rolleye

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/07/13 at 12:59 PM ET

WOW. usually a coach will downplay any goalie controversy…he just started one.

Posted by brians neck on 12/07/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Guess Monster is cheesepie worthy. Me likey.

Extra helping of pie for Monster. And, the kids too.(of course, they’re all we have right now) If only Blabcock would take away Cleary’s desert. No pie for him!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/07/13 at 01:24 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Good on Monster, keep it going. And no worries with Howard, everyone has ups and downs over the long haul.

Posted by SK77 on 12/07/13 at 01:34 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Howard lost the starting goalie position, as he should. He’ll eventually get it back, he’ll be a better goalie after all this settles.

But, I think you can look to today as the official day Jimmy was scratched as a potential starter for Team USA.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/07/13 at 02:18 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Jimmeh wouldn’t have beaten out Quick or Miller.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 12/07/13 at 02:32 PM ET

Jimmeh wouldn’t have beaten out Quick or Miller.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 12/07/13 at 01:32 PM ET

Or Schneider even.

And good on Monster.  Yet another slap in the face for the Laffs.

Posted by SYF from hatrick's "...broken bone bone..." on 12/07/13 at 02:44 PM ET

I’m sure Howard could stop 11 shots. Just tell the Wings to do that again, Mike…

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 12/07/13 at 02:51 PM ET

Yeah but not without giving up 2 or 3 goals as well.

Posted by godblender on 12/07/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Ok - I get this idea is WAY premature. And I get that it is unlikely. Please bear with me.

...But, let’s say hypothetically, at season’s end/playoffs, the Monster remains the Wings’ starter and he plays well in the playoffs…1) is there any chance the Wings would consider buying out Howard and rolling with Gustavsson/Mrazek and 2) is that even possible? I did a minimal amount of research and couldn’t find any rules about the CBA compliance buyouts…specifically, I was wondering if a team could buy out a guy who was signed after the new CBA or if players are only eligible if they were already under contract. Howard was resigned last year - is he somehow ineligible from being bought out?

Anyways, I am throwing a total hypothetical out there. Don’t kill me on this. I don’t expect this situation to happen. There are tons of variables. But again, if Gustavsson has a “monster” season and finishes with 50 starts, a GAA of <2.10 and a Save % of .930+ and Howard never gets it together, is it even conceivable that the team would consider something like that?

Also keep in mind: Howard would get 2/3 of his money over the term of the deal - so what, 3-4M (not looking at the contract info right now) for the next 5 years (or is it 4 after this year? - can’t remember if it was 5yrs @ ~$30M or 6 years…)

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/07/13 at 03:29 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/07/13 at 02:29 PM ET

Buying out a bonafide #1 goaltender with a very reasonable contract (for reference, see: King Lundqvist & rising salary cap) because he’s had a few bad games, eh? Tough crowd.

Posted by SK77 on 12/07/13 at 04:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Geebus people, how many years did we think Howard couldn’t even win an NHL game, the he ousts Ozzie? Jimmeh will be fine.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/07/13 at 04:29 PM ET

I tried to give the caveat.

Hard to convey that. I am asking a hypothetical. I don’t have doubts in Howard. And I agree his contract for a good #1 is super-reasonable.

I tried twice to explain the frame of mind to approach that question. Didn’t get it across.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/07/13 at 04:41 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/07/13 at 03:41 PM ET

You asked a hypothetical question and received realistic responses, and for that I apologize. smile

It is conceivable that if Howard sucks ass from here to eternity that the Wings might consider a change in goal. Better?

Posted by SK77 on 12/07/13 at 05:00 PM ET

a couple things…. 1. Monsters ability to move the puck helps out our thin D a ton. Howard has ZERO ability with the puck. 2. Howard’s game is ALL positional and he’s been having trouble with this all year. He will get it back and be fine but he will never be a puck handling goalie.

Posted by brians neck on 12/07/13 at 05:09 PM ET

DocF's avatar

For some reason, the Red Wings skaters have played much better in front of Gustavsson than they have in front of Howard.  This will come back to bite them in the ass, I guarantee it.  Remember when this was the case with the human rebound machine, Ty Conklin?  I do and, while I believe Gustavsson is much better than Conklin, he is not now and never will be a number one goalie in the NHL.  He is slow, slow, slow.  He is far from positionally sound.  He is not a good puck handler (while slightly better than Howard).  He gives up way too many uncontrolled rebounds.  No, I am not a fan.

Yet there were many fans who pronounced Conklin to the the second coming of Terry Sawchuk.  I feel only slightly less nervous about The Monster than I did about Conklin.  Now I am not always right about skaters, but I have the ability to look at a goalie and see all his faults early on.

I am a fan of Mrazek and Paterson and Coreau, all of whom probably will be starting goalies at the NHL level.  If any of these guys were ready, I would consider trading Howard, but they are all a year or two away.

Eventually, the Red Wings will start to lose games account Gustavsson’s limitations.  The skaters need to look at their own efforts and get it together.

Going in to the playoffs with Gustavsson as the starting goalie is a sure recipe for disaster.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 12/07/13 at 05:29 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Jeebus on a pogo stick….the kid stops 11 shots and he’s a “starter”, Jimmah’s out of the Olympics and the Wings need to start shopping? As Dougie would say…statistically, this is not sound logic.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 12/07/13 at 06:40 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, one hand on the starboard rail… on 12/07/13 at 05:40 PM ET

thanks for helping keep this ‘goalie thing’ in proper perspective, Rummy.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/07/13 at 07:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

With the way he’s been playing, this decision doesn’t surprise me.

Play the hot hand! Let’s Go Red Wings!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/07/13 at 07:11 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by DocF from Reidsville, NC

That’s pretty much what I’ve observed as well. GusT has given up some “monster” rebounds when he’s also been out of position, and either D bailed him out or the opposition did.

If Jager had buried that shot he missed on the wide open net in the 1st period last night, that whole game may have played out differently. And that wasn’t the Devils only gaff when it came to scoring chances last night.

On the other hand, I personally find it a lot more, shall we say, “interesting” when Gustavsson plays. He’s like a mini version of Dom. You’re never quite sure what will happen, but you know it’ll be an adventure.

Damn it, Rum, if you’re going to start bringing up “logic” in the comments section, you’re going to ruin the whole mood in here. Geez, what a Debbie Downer. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/07/13 at 07:47 PM ET