The Malik Report

Gustav Nyquist Joined NHL Live Today

Listen/watch five minutes with 'Gus'.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

He has a very North American accent for a Swede.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/22/13 at 05:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Some people are just like that.  When I speak Spanish, native speakers assume I’m Spanish.  Problem is I only know about 5 words.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/22/13 at 06:08 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

Swedes who grew up with the internet speak better English than older guys simply because of the media exposure and interaction. Plus he spent a lot of years in American college. Like Overhaul said, some people are just like that. I’ve never even been to the US yet and most Americans I talk to ask me when I moved to Sweden. Some of us just make sure to eliminate that horrible “Swenglish” accent. It’s embarrassing to have to listen to Swedes speak bad English, considering how much of an influence American culture is in Sweden.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 05/22/13 at 08:20 PM ET

I think this was a really good interview, his answer to the question “why college vs. staying in sweden” was really nice. Very cool to hear such a mature, and insightful answer.

Posted by Marisabel on 05/22/13 at 09:03 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s embarrassing to have to listen to Swedes speak bad English,

Believe me, it’s far more embarrassing to listen to Americans speak bad English than to listen to a Swede speak bad English.

Posted by calquake on 05/22/13 at 10:33 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Oh that ain’t pretty: http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/damien_brunner_pelts_gustav_nyquist_in_the_nuts_during_warmups/13660231

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/22/13 at 10:53 PM ET