The Malik Report

Gretzky believes that the NHL should retire #9

From ESPN's Michael Rothstein:

Wayne Gretzky doesn't have much say over these matters, but the man known as The Great One said Tuesday he would like to see Gordie Howe's No. 9 retired by the NHL in honor of his idol, Howe, who died Friday at age 88.

Gretzky's number, No. 99, is retired throughout the league. Gretzky wore No. 99 in honor of Howe.

"I'm pretty biased," Gretzky said during the public visitation for Howe at Joe Louis Arena. "If I had my way, I would do it. But that's for the league. I'm not involved with the league right now. But listen, whatever they choose to do is going to be very special because Gordie deserves something really special and unique.

"I don't think anybody helped promote, support the game, the sport or our country better than Gordie Howe. He was proud to be a Canadian, proud to be from Saskatchewan. And I don't think the NHL is going to overlook the fact of how important he was to the game so I'm sure they are going to do something real special for him."

Continued, and if you think about Howe, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard and all the other special players who wore #9, it's not such a crazy idea...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

This really should have been done when he retired and Gretzky should have practically demanded it when they retired 99.

Posted by evileye on 06/14/16 at 04:04 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Do it. surprised

Posted by bigfrog on 06/14/16 at 04:28 PM ET

+9.

Posted by SYF from fishing with Vicky Stark on 06/14/16 at 05:00 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I know Gretzky has said that he’s happy just being a fan these days and that he’s not interested in an executive position with any team, but there will never be a better time for the Wings to offer him the GM’s job in Detroit.

Kick Holland upstairs with some lofty BS title (or kick him out the door and down the road). Either way, nothing would signal to this year’s UFAs that the Wings are serious about “moving forward” than bringing in The Great One, a man who idolized Mr. Hockey.

Do it Mr. I (or Mr. I Jr.). Show us you’re ready for the next great era of Detroit Red Wings hockey.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/14/16 at 06:21 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/14/16 at 07:21 PM ET

It would be kind of cool, but what reason would he have to come here? It’s not like he’ll ever have trouble finding work in the game, and he has no ties here.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/15/16 at 08:35 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...what reason would he have to come here? It’s not like he’ll ever have trouble finding work in the game, and he has no ties here.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet!

I was just fantasizing, Nathan, based on his obvious admiration for Gordie. I know it’s highly unlikely that he’d come to Detroit, but (like you) I just thought it would be kind of cool.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/15/16 at 09:35 AM ET

[Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/14/16 at 07:21 PM ET]

Except for the fact that Gretz has zero management experience and that his last foray into hockey was a total disaster (remember Phoenix?) that sounds like a great plan. Unless stan Bowman wants to jump ship I think Kenny is the best option we’ve got.

Posted by Kevinonkk on 06/16/16 at 02:29 PM ET