The Malik Report

Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill speaks to Fox Sports Detroit’s Art Regner

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock spoke with Fox 17's Steve Amorose prior to Friday night's first-round-clinching Grand Rapids Griffins win, and it turns out that Griffins coach Jeff Blashill was kind enough to speak with Fox Sports Detroit's Art Regner before the game as well. This video posted in the middle of the night, but it's definitely worth your time.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Close your eyes, and you would swear it’s Mike Babcock speaking..

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/03/14 at 08:29 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Bab’s Mini-Me

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/03/14 at 08:41 AM ET

utahgentile's avatar

I was thinking the exact SAME thing ... but then he smiled.

Posted by utahgentile from the land of white and delightsome people on 05/03/14 at 10:11 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I was thinking the exact SAME thing ... but then he smiled.

Posted by utahgentile from the land of white and delightsome

You beat me to it. In fact, I think Blash smiled more in that interview than Babcock has all season – except, of course, for those wry smiles he flashes when he’s looking at a ref who’s screwed up a call.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/14 at 10:23 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Copy and paste from last thread:

I noted this last spring, did Blash take voice lessons from Babcock?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/14 at 11:13 AM ET

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/14 at 11:16 AM ET

SK77's avatar

Kind of makes me laugh when people talk about getting rid of Babcock so Blashill can take his place. What’s the difference?

Posted by SK77 on 05/03/14 at 11:46 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by SK77

Until the last half of this season, I think the main difference was in their willingness to work with the “kids” in the organization. Blashill embraces it. Babcock seems to have accepted it begrudgingly. But he has accepted it, and that’s why fewer people have been calling for him to leave than there were last fall.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/14 at 01:41 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/14 at 01:41 PM ET

Good point regarding working with “kids”. I thought I’d still seen a few posts saying replace Babs with Blash, same style less experience and past results. If you’re going to run Babs out of town might as well change it up and bring Tortorella in.

Posted by SK77 on 05/03/14 at 02:14 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

the voice is very, very similar

... but imma guessing that since he cracked a smile, he still needs some work on “the Babcock death stare”.

wink

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/03/14 at 02:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Boy oh boy if Wings yearn for a PP net front skill, Vanek is the best one available!  Great hand eye coordination up there.

Will be UFA, an expensive one probably.  I liked the Buffalo team he was on years ago but most of them have long since moved elsewhere to cash in.

Let’s see,  add up the savings from Cleary, Beruzzi, Samuelsson, maybe free up $1.9 if buy out Tootoo, maybe there’s $8M.  Maybe better suited spent on top line Defense if such a person exists.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/14 at 03:02 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jesus Lashoff, Boston doesn’t quit, only down 1 now.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/14 at 03:04 PM ET