The Malik Report

Gordie Howe to Jimmy Howard: Okay, Imma let you finish, but first let me shake your hand

Remarkable stuff from the Red Wings: this is what happens when Mr. Hockey decides to very quietly pull a Kanye West:

Update: And here's Jimmy Howard talking to John Keating about the game...and Gordie:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

this brings up some emotions.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 05/23/13 at 11:03 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

This is the kinda stuff they’ll be putting montages to in 20 years when they talk about RW greatness.

You just NEVER see this on any other team.  They’re unique in sports.  Probably why when I tell other fans to check out this site and try to describe all of us they tell me, “It sounds like a cult”

It is.  A dirty nasty Kool-Aid drinking whore-style redolent cult.

I fuchin’ love the Wings.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 11:03 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

That smile on Jimmy’s face!
You can see how proud of himself he is, right there!
Amazing!

Posted by Zqto on 05/23/13 at 11:12 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He looked like a little Japanese school girl, did you see him bite his lip? lmao.  I’d have released my bowels.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 11:15 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

How great is that!?!.....

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/23/13 at 11:31 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Wow.
By the way, anyone else like the mini-dekes at the end of the clip?

Posted by Bugsy on 05/23/13 at 11:33 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Wow.
By the way, anyone else like the mini-dekes at the end of the clip?

Posted by Bugsy on 05/24/13 at 12:33 AM ET

LOL, that poor kid probably crapped his pants. He doesnt know how close he was to getting the elbow of justice.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/23/13 at 11:42 PM ET

Mr. Howe, that’s just spot on class there Jimmy.

Posted by selke13 on 05/23/13 at 11:43 PM ET

I fuchin’ love the Wings.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/24/13 at 12:03 AM ET

This.

Posted by mc keeper on 05/24/13 at 12:08 AM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

i love this

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/24/13 at 12:28 AM ET

I went kerflempt.  Seriously.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/24/13 at 12:45 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

And who wanders over to Howe at the end? Brad McCrimmon’s son.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/13 at 01:05 AM ET

blammo's avatar

Legend.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 05/24/13 at 01:41 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

And who wanders over to Howe at the end? Brad McCrimmon’s son.

I know there are other good organizations, good players, etc. but I’ve always believed the Red Wings “family” (which at its worst, you could argue, includes holding onto the long-time veterans maybe longer than other teams would rather than trade/release them) is one of the reasons the Wings stand out, their loyalty to their people, including hearing Vlady and others coming by the locker room, too. In the transient 21st Century, there’s something to be said about the value of generations in that locker room and in the organization (Chelios, Draper, Lidstrom, Lindsay, Howe, Vladdy, Stevie Y while he was here, etc.) and as you noted George, McCrimmon’s son—they take care of their own.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/24/13 at 01:57 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Wings also reach out to other organizations to take care of their own.

The Wings have ensured that Maureen McCrimmon and her daughter and son are still busy with hockey during the winter—because they’re now a billet family for Peter Karmanos’s Plymouth Whalers, hosting a young man from September to at least April.

Karmanos and Compuware are obviously big Ilitch/Little Caesars rivals, but you take care of your own by being smart enough to know when somebody else can help them better than you’re able to do.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/13 at 02:37 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

A few years ago, Chicago invited their famous alums to the arena and have done a good job in trying to copy what Detroit genuinely has. Stan Mikita and Denis Savard are around the arena and Bobby Hull is at the concession stand. It’s not the same thing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/24/13 at 07:01 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Pure. Awesome.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/24/13 at 08:05 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I wonder who walked around the Minnesota locker room to congratulate/console the Engall sisters. Oh that’s right, no one. The Wings are an organization people are lucky to work for. It just works so well. Yeah they have blind loyalty to some guys past their prime, but overall the way they treat their players and staff is just top notch. Where do I send my resume?

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/24/13 at 08:28 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

It is.  A dirty nasty Kool-Aid drinking whore-style redolent cult.

I fuchin’ love the Wings.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/24/13 at 12:03 AM ET

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/24/13 at 10:13 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

“Vladi, Gordie, Igor…and Mr. Lindsay.”  I think Terrible Ted still has everyone in the league terrified of him.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/24/13 at 06:29 PM ET

I would consider Slava Fetisov up there with Mr. Howe and Mr. Lindsay.  What that man had to go through for his fellow players in the Soviet Union, man, I remain humbled by his courage.  THAT is old soul.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/24/13 at 06:35 PM ET