The Malik Report

Goodbye ‘Flip’

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Saying good-bye is hard to do, and so Valtteri Filppula showed up for one of his final practices at Joe Louis Arena, dressing for one of the last times in Detroit Red Wings gear, getting one of the last few head-hugs from BFF Niklas Kronwall....

"I'm definitely excited about Tampa and new team, new place," Filppula said. "At the same time, I've had great years here and a lot of great friends. That way is tough."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Da lil Guy's avatar

You mean Filppula skated in Red Wings gear, and it didn’t make international headlines?!

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 08/29/13 at 12:57 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

He should have messed with Ottawa and wore Sens gear.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/29/13 at 12:58 PM ET

It’ll be very interesting to see who flourishes more, Weiss or Flip.  Undoubtedly Flip will have more pressure being a #1, but Weiss is going to have to learn he system on a line with another new guy (and an aging one at hat) in Alfredsson and a really, really, really inconsistent guy in Franzen.

Of course, if they both perform exactly as they have, 50ish points from Weiss on the second line will be a hell of a lot more satisfying than 40ish points on the top line from Flip.

Posted by Garth on 08/29/13 at 01:06 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He should have messed with Ottawa and wore Sens gear.

+19

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/29/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Great.  Now I got that goofy Boyz II Men song in my head.

“Whack for the daddy ol’
There’s whiskey in the jar.”

That’s better.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 08/29/13 at 01:31 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Wings don’t seem to want Weiss to match Filppula’s *top-end* offensive production per se—I think they’d be happy with a Filppula-average 40 points and a more consistent presence on the second line.

I was really intrigued by the fact that, throughout the summer, Babcock, Holland and Draper used the now-Olympic “200-foot player” tagline to describe Weiss. He’s not as fast as Filppula by any means, but the Wings seem to believe that he can deal with traffic more effectively. It was interesting to hear them intimate that Filppula may be faster, but that Weiss was essentially a “better” skater overall.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/29/13 at 02:17 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/29/13 at 03:17 PM ET

There really is absolutely nothing I will miss about Filppula.
Watching him skate up ice with the puck only to skate headstrong right into the corner and give a blind backhand pass across the center of the ice to no one about 10000x is enough.
Then watching him slowly and gingerly make a huge turn to go back up ice to backcheck instead of actually STOPPING and turning right around, which would have gotten him up ice a good 10 seconds sooner all became too much.
I truly find it laughable that his agent(and he) actually think he is a #1 center. But its sad that Stevie Y bit and actually gave it to him.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 08/29/13 at 02:30 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Undoubtedly Flip will have more pressure being a #1

Posted by Garth on 08/29/13 at 02:06 PM ET

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 08/29/13 at 03:30 PM ET

I’m pretty sure Stamkos is a lock for #1 center ...

Posted by SK77 on 08/29/13 at 03:40 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I really wish the Flip experiment would have worked out. It just seems like a lot of potential is gone with the loss of him; but then again, it’s probably a potential that will never be reached, for whatever reason.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/29/13 at 04:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m pretty sure Stamkos is a lock for #1 center ...

Posted by some kid on 08/29/13 at 04:40 PM ET

Yep. Flip didn’t take #1 Center money or a short enough term to set out to prove he’s the #1 for future negotiations.  It’s long been reported that this is the role Flip wanted and that’s part of what drove him out of Detroit, but the contract he signed and his statements since then don’t match with what was reported on that front.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/29/13 at 04:38 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Great.  Now I got that goofy Boyz II Men song in my head.

“Whack for the daddy ol’
There’s whiskey in the jar.”

That’s better.

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 08/29/13 at 02:31 PM ET

Holy shit - as I read your comment this song began on my computer. I feel this is very significant.

Better go get some whiskey.

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 08/29/13 at 07:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Undoubtedly Flip will have more pressure being a #1

Posted by Garth on 08/29/13 at 02:06 PM ET

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 08/29/13 at 03:30 PM ET

I’m pretty sure Stamkos is a lock for #1 center ...

Posted by some kid on 08/29/13 at 04:40 PM ET

How the heck people forget about Stamkos… I’ll never know.

Posted by Primis on 08/30/13 at 10:45 AM ET