The Malik Report

Goodbye Colaiacovo

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’d rather that headline read “Goodbye Samuelsson”.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 07/02/13 at 09:43 PM ET

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

Is this a “compliance” buyout, or a regular buyout…In other words, will his 900K/yr count against the cap?

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 07/02/13 at 09:52 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Compliance buyout PaH, won’t count against the cap.  Wings will have one more left, can be used next year too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/13 at 09:53 PM ET

Too bad.  I liked his work against the DuhUcks.  I will never forget how he turned several big DuhUcks forwards into pretzels in front of Dong’s net.

One buyout, one more to go (presuming the Wings will use it).

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/02/13 at 09:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Good bye Carlo, we hardly knew Ye’.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/02/13 at 10:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

At 10:10 capgeek already has Colaiacovo off the Wings list and onto the buyout list.  What a web site that is.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/02/13 at 10:14 PM ET

Chip4Pips's avatar

Will they use the second one on Sammy/Tootoo this year, or save it for next summer? That is the question.

Of course, my head will explode when Kenny resigns Cleary….

Posted by Chip4Pips on 07/02/13 at 10:16 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Buyouts (1)
$0

Colaiacovo, Carlo »

Capgeek updating the roster.  Have they ever been wrong?

Posted by maltby18 on 07/02/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Posted by Bugsy on 07/02/13 at 10:19 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think this means Bertuzzi will stay.

Posted by w2j2 on 07/02/13 at 10:23 PM ET

I think this means Bertuzzi will stay.

I knew that the second they chose his nephew 150 spots ahead of where he was ranked.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Kenny’s off season last year looking better and better.  Wow.

Babcock is carrying him while the roster and decisions get worse every year…

Posted by deanwerner on 07/02/13 at 10:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bertuzzi was pretty much a lock to stay I think.  Samuelsson will cause a legal stink if they place him on waivers to buy him out.

Wings think he’s not injured, he says he is.

Who is the authority, the determining person or office to resolve this issue?  Wings could get screwed here and miss their deadline just because they are afraid Samuelsson would object to being bought out by claiming he is injured?

Someone must be the authority, or else this is a loophole in the CBA buyout provision.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/02/13 at 10:35 PM ET

How about ponying up a little bit of sack and putting him on waivers with the intention of buying him out.  If he puts up a stink you deal with it.  Maybe it gets ruled that he’s eligible to be bought out and gets bought out.  Maybe he decides he doesn’t want to stay on a team that doesn’t want him and he acquiesces.  Maybe he can’t be bought out so they put him on LTIR and then send him down to GR or Toledo when he gets healthy and simply take the hit against the cap.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

*shaking head*

So, take one of the few defensive-minded d-men off the roster, for absolutely nothing.

There still a complete clusterf**k at forward.

Bang up job, Kenny.  Bang up job.

Posted by Primis on 07/02/13 at 11:11 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

For your amusement, about the assessment of Stan Bowman July 3 , 2012. I’ll wait and see where the dust settles by this time next week, but I’m a wee bit antsy with what’s happened so far:

Posted by Bugsy on 07/02/13 at 11:18 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Thank God we’ll have Tootoo in the East this coming season.

We’ll have $6m or more in forward sitting the pressbox every night, we have no top defensive pairing, we’ll have to resort to playing Zetterberg as a 2nd Center…. but by God that Tootoo signing was so important last offseason and will pay dividends in the rough-and-tumble East!  Even though we have too many forwards and don’t know who has to sit out for him to be in!

Posted by Primis on 07/03/13 at 12:38 AM ET

d ca's avatar

How dead is the market when a d-man that actually showed flashes in the playoffs can’t be moved for a late round pick with only 1 year on a contract remaining.

Posted by d ca on 07/03/13 at 12:52 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Posted by d ca on 07/03/13 at 12:52 AM ET

I agree, seems odd. On the other hand, Carlo hasn’t played more than 67 games the last few full seasons, and only played 6 regular season games last year. Can you say brittle?

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 01:29 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Ugh…I can’t… what the??? Really? Buy out Carlo? Thinking of offering Cleary 3 mil??? This off season is starting out f’n great…

Posted by SandysWingingit on 07/03/13 at 01:30 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Wait until you hear we resigned Filpulla for 4.5m for 5 years.

and Bugsy, Bowman had the luxury of coming in with a core of top pick draft picks.  Our core is old and busted and our kids aren’t that good, as good as the young guys for Chicago, so I’ve been told by many on here.  That’s why Detroit doesn’t want do use the Chicago model.  So why are we using their FA model and Deadline model?  Do nothing.

DRW Circle Jerk.

I will say, I’m happy KH resigned Miller.  That was pretty heady of him.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 03:04 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Wait until you hear we resigned Filpulla for 4.5m for 5 years.

DRW Circle Jerk.

I will say, I’m happy KH resigned Miller.  That was pretty heady of him.

So, in a nutshell, the theme is give up some of the youth/cap space/maybe draft picks now and take more chances, with the tradeoff of being a decent team every year isn’t worth some sacrifices to be really good the next year or 2, right? Since the core isn’t as talented as Chicago (and as long as the Wings keep drafting in the middle of the first round or later, likely won’t be in the future), they should take a higher risk/reward approach? I know I’m oversimplifying it, or are we questioning Holland’s sustained excellence approach to begin with then, given the they’re a bit tattered and with less young talent (i.e., no clear stars) to begin with? Is that implying then that if the bigger gain is acceptable if a Cup is won, realizing the fall is potentially harder in a cap world? SIncerely asking.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 04:23 AM ET

Of course it is.  The entire point of playing is to win the Cup.  If you win the Cup one year and then don’t win the next two, is that worse than not winning for three straight years?

Conversely, is not winning for five straight years a good trade off for keeping some cap space open for the deadline (that won’t be used at the deadline?

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 09:14 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 09:14 AM ET

In case you look back Garth, maybe I’m fooling myself by the fact that the President’s Cup winner rarely wins the Cup, LA’s run last year, etc. that maybe getting in while playing well (like the Wings did this year in nearly taking out seeds 1 and 2) is sufficient in this era.  So, we’re saying that is what Ken Holland is hoping for, get in every year and have playoff savvy players to carry you through while playing well. On the other hand, the main opinion here, is Cup or bust, have some down years if that means having an excellent team to rise to the top. Thus, the admiration for the playoffs streak may be hollow if they don’t post an elite team at least sometimes with a good chance of winning the Cup (unlike this year despite nearly pulling off 2 big upsets). I just wanted to make sure I knew where y’all were coming from. That’s all I needed, thanks, Garth, if you read this.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 07:31 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I know its the offseason, but is there any news on Helm and his back “issues”?

I mean…is his career finished?

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/03/13 at 08:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

scotts0, Helm is scheduled to participate in the Wings development camp in July.

I believe it will be a test to see how he holds up.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/03/13 at 08:20 PM ET