The Malik Report

Good luck with that, Sergei

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read this month. CSKA Moscow GM and former Red Wing Sergei Fedorov just hired an American-born coach in John Torchetti to helm the team, but The Score reports that Fedorov engaged in some typical summertime KHL bombast while speaking with Sovetsky Sport, made a downright stupid (and I don't like to use the term "stupid" very often) [edit: let's say spurious instead] comment. The Toronto Star's Rick Westhead took note of it:

Hint: when someone says they're not trying to stir shit up, they're trying to stir shit up. Datsyuk told Championat's Sergey Gavrilov that even if he had the opportunity to choose between returning to the Ak Bars Kazan or playing for the Red Wings, he would have re-signed with Detroit, and that he's happy to be staying in Detroit for the next four years.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Aaaaaand with that Sergei kissed any hope of reconciliation with the Wings goodbye.

I hope to God someone wears #91 this year too.

Posted by Primis on 07/13/13 at 07:56 PM ET

As a manager i’d want pasha on my team too. i would call that very smart not stupid.

Posted by jkm2011 on 07/13/13 at 08:21 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Remember when Datsyuk signed, he said he knew who was spreading rumors that he was moving to the KHL.

Now we know who that was.

Primis is correct.  There will never be any honors for Federov back in Detroit.

Posted by w2j2 on 07/13/13 at 08:52 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It wasn’t Sergei—who’s BS-ing his way through a Q and A with Sovetsky Sport readers, trying to drum up business.

It was the ENTIRE Russian media. They ALL insisted that he was going to go back to Russia, that he really wanted to play for the Ak Bars and that he was going to leave the Wings behind.

Datsyuk was honest. He would like to play in Russia at some point. He’s a very patriotic person and he feels that it’s very important to pay back the people in Kazan who helped him become a professional athlete, especially as he was injured and that he lost his dad at an early age and then his mom.

Vladimir Krikunov gave him a spot with Dynamo-Energiya in Kazan when he was recovering from what I remember was a near-career-ending foot injury, and when Krikunov coached the Ak Bars, Datsyuk followed, and that’s where the Wings found him.

Pavel also misses his daughter, and since he and his wife divorced, Elizabeth’s been living in Datsyuk’s hometown of Yekaterinburg.

But Pavel’s first obligation is to the Red Wings, and he’s obviously incredibly grateful for them having given him the opportunity to win two Stanley Cups and to have made him his fortune. He signed a 3-year extension with every intention of fulfilling his contractual obligations, and he clearly wants to play here first and foremost, even if that means not ending his career in Russia.

I think that’s pretty cool, and I think that his honesty about the fact that he’s proud to be a Wing—so proud that he’s accepted the concept that he’s going to spend another four years away from home, where he could make just as much money in the KHL—speaks to his character.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/13/13 at 09:28 PM ET

What exactly makes this “stupid?” All he’s said was that he’d like to have Pavel back on his team, CSKA. I think this is an extremely poor overreaction on the part of anyone saying this is somehow Sergei going against the Wings and he should be despised for it. That is closer to “stupid” than Sergei saying he wants Pavel back on his team. First, what do the Ak Bars rumors (the team Pavel was rumored to be going back to) have to do with Sergei saying he’d want him back on CSKA? You all realize that they are two different teams? So how does that make Sergei the culprit for the rumors that Pavel was considering/signed with Kazan?
Second, where is he saying he wants to poach Pavel as you seem to be insinuating? All he said is that he wants Pavel on his team. He said Pavel wants to come back and play, something that Pavel even acknowledged after his extension - PAVEL has openly said he will finish his career in Russia, when ever that is. So how is Sergei the bad guy from repeating that? Are you saying it’s equally stupid for any other GM in the hockey world to say they’d want Pavel, or its just “stupid” because Sergei Fedorov said it? Seriously, it’s been 10 years it’s time to give up on the Fedorov hate. He wanted to move on, he made his choice, get over yourselves. Sergei Fedorov owes you nothing.

Posted by PeteRockD on 07/13/13 at 09:30 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

” @rwesthead

Foreign affairs writer, former South Asia bureau chief with The Toronto Star of Canada

toronto · thestar.com/comment/column…”

A sports related comment from this Twitter Bio?

Meanwhile when I get a NHL team to come to Saskatoon, I will persuade all Saskatchewan born hockey players to return home to piss off Chairman Mao.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/13/13 at 10:22 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Westhead did a ton of work for the Toronto Star during the lockout. He’s a business reporter generally speaking.

And I thought that the comment was “stupid” because it plays off the Russian media’s desire for this kind of talk after Kovalchuk’s decision to return to Russia. I’m not belittling his opinion—perhaps I should have used the word “spurious.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/13/13 at 10:33 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

PeteRock - you are absolutely right.

Posted by alukacs on 07/13/13 at 11:56 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Fedorov runs a team and wants the best players in the world to be on it.  Isn’t that exaclty what Kenny wants?  I think every GM in the world (except that Scott Howson guy that was with Columbus for while) wants.  You can’t be mad at the guy for wanting to convince a Russian Free-Agent-To-Be to come home and play in Russia.  Plus, if I’m a Russian and Sergei Fedorov is saying nice things and how much he wants me to be on his team (perhaps insinuating that I’m going to be playing for his team…) I’m kinda flattered.  Fedorov is a legend!

No matter.  We got Pavel in the end.  We win.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 07/14/13 at 02:47 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Go play in the KHL. I hear they have defibrillators now that almost save lives.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/14/13 at 09:22 AM ET

Now I hear that what coaxed Kovalchuk back to Russia was that they offered him the same money than what he was making in New Jersey.  I understand economics and honestly there is no way that the KHL can afford to pay him that, UNLESS, they can get more players of his caliber.  The KHL is making a huge gamble that they can expand into Western Europe.  Which IMO won’t happen, because the Russian owners can’t play well with existing teams in Europe.

My prediction:  If each Russian owner has billions and makes a hundred million per year.  The question is how long does it take before losing $30M per year, starts to hurt the wallet?  I think less than 10 years, and we aren’t having this conversation anymore.  Either the best Russian players have left, or they are in the NHL to stay.

My preference is for the NHL owners to pony up some dough (forego ANY expansion), and buy up or team with teams in Europe to create an awesome minor league.  Of course, they could do that in the US…BUT, there are much bigger and better hockey markets in Europe.  And they wouldn’t be competing with thier existing product.

Posted by zombietroy on 07/14/13 at 01:39 PM ET