The Malik Report

Good-Bye Bert

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

Wings general manager Ken Holland confirmed that Todd Bertuzzi and Mikael Samuelsson won’t be returning next season.

As far as the rest of the unrestricted players go, the team will take a wait-and-see approach.

“The other guys I’m not sure,” Holland said. “I basically told the other agents we’re not doing anything right now. Under the CBA on June 27, which is next Wednesday, we can start talking to potential unrestricted free agents....

“There’s a lot of chatter about trades, but I don’t know if things will come to fruition or not,” Holland said. “If we go out and sign one or two people we’re basically done. These guys might be the best options we’ve got, but right now we want to keep our options open so we can explore.”

a bit more...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I’m going to miss Bert. I think he still could contribute next year in a coming off the bench mentor kind of role, but perhaps with the trial coming up maybe the Wings didn’t feel it was worth that kind of distraction.Good luck to him.

Posted by weswolverine on 06/18/14 at 06:41 PM ET

That’s the guy I will definitely miss. Superb teammate. If KH cannot help himself and has to sign a washed out veteran, I wish it would have been him and not Cleary.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/18/14 at 07:05 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Gonna miss Big Bert. Good riddance to Sammy.

And, as usual, ABC. Anyone But Cleary.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/18/14 at 07:48 PM ET

If the wings resign quincey I will not watch a single game next season.

Posted by Robert on 06/18/14 at 07:56 PM ET

Thanks, Bert.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/18/14 at 08:20 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Things I’ll remember of Bert.

1. Spinorama
2.  Tattoos
3. Don’t F with his water bottle.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/18/14 at 08:26 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Things I’ll remember of Bert.

1. Spinorama

True story: During H2H, when I got to the Joe for the morning skate, Bert and his son were on ice before practice. Both were doing spinoramas.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/18/14 at 08:35 PM ET

I’m gonna miss Bert. His talent has diminished but he played hard. And who isn’t gonna miss his toothless smile. And this news about Cleary sickens me. He needs to disappear. Kenny, just say NO to Quincey and good riddance to Samuelson.

Posted by Acim on 06/18/14 at 08:46 PM ET

Who are these guys by the way? Quincey and Alfy?

Posted by VPalmer on 06/18/14 at 08:48 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Bert memories:

1.)  Remember Ryan Getzlaf throwing a temper tantrum and acting tough on the bench, hitting the partition… and Bert simply stood up and leaned out, and Getzlaf cowered, shut up, and sat down?  Good times.

2.) One of my favorite Twitter jokes ever was from @TheTripleDeke re: Bert running a Wings practice, now 562 days ago.  It was my 2nd tweet I ever Favorited:

“Everyone blindly passes puck back up ice; water break. RT @RedWingsFeed Bertuzzi serving as coach at Wings practices”

3.) Bert taking the ping pong table away from the Preds during the 2012 playoffs.

That kinda’ proves the point though:  on the ice he didn’t do much memorable, except take bad penalties and bad times in recent years.

Posted by Primis on 06/18/14 at 09:44 PM ET

The fan opinion divergence between Bert and Cleary is fairly interesting, considering both guys were essentially clones of each other as far as their actual on-ice play went, with any real positive difference between the two (if one exists) falling in Cleary’s favor.

Bert’s fondly missed, Cleary has silver crosses thrust into his face.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/18/14 at 10:05 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I didn’t want Bert signed initially, but then he won me over.  Our locker room will be poorer with his absence.  Good luck, Bert.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/18/14 at 10:23 PM ET

Way back when, I liked the idea of taking a chance on Bertuzzi. I wished like hell, then, that we’d traded Emmerton instead of Matthias (who, while he’s never lived up to his hype, would be a pretty good Babcock type player). Ultimately, Bertuzzi just couldn’t recapture any of his old powerforward game. I liked the guy, but I never understood bringing him back. And I didn’t like re-upping him for that last two year deal, either.
Anyway, out of Cleary, Sammy and Bertuzzi, I like Bertuzzi best. But it’s BEYOND time to move on.

Posted by Captain Bob on 06/18/14 at 10:28 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Really liked both these guys and what they brought every night. Time and injuries just limited their skills the past seasons. I know it’s fashionable to rip on Cleary, and no I didn’t like his being signed to the deal last year either, but for most of the time Dan was with the Wings he contributed a lot for a guy who showed up in TC for a tryout. Wish the best to both Dan and Bert.

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/18/14 at 11:12 PM ET

I don’t get this. If we are bringing a vet back, why not Bert. Out of all the washed up vets we had last season, he is probably the least washed up one and can still contribute.
I am not a Holland hater, but if he really signs Cleary over Bert, I might start being one.

Posted by George0211 on 06/19/14 at 07:54 AM ET

Bert’s fondly missed, Cleary has silver crosses thrust into his face.

And you’re going to pretend that there’s no reason for the difference, right?

Of course you are.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/14 at 09:25 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Because Holland didn’t make him some stupid verbal agreement.

And also because this year I think is when Bert’s suit comes to a head, and the WIngs would rather not deal with that.

In fact I’m not sure any other team will either.  Bert’s career is likely done.

Posted by Primis on 06/19/14 at 09:49 AM ET

This is nuts.  Bert scored at nearly double Cleary’s rate this season.  Unlike Cleary he was available in the playoffs and was actually useful in the one game he played (he provided a screen on a goal, IIRC).  He had a point share of 0.6, which is not much, but is a whole standings point better than Cleary who was a -0.4.

The advanced stats picture is no more flattering to Cleary.  Bert’s Corsi Relative was bad—minus 2%.  But Cleary’s was a brutal minus 4.4%.  As bad a puck possession player as Bert was, Cleary was more than twice as bad, against inferior competition.

If you believe in hits as a stat, Cleary posted another brutal number there—he took a staggering 46 more hits than he delivered.  It’s one thing for Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Nyquist to have numbers like that (which they do)—they are skill players who’re supposed to have the puck and try to do something with it.  But Cleary is supposed to be a physical force and we know from his near-team-worst Corsi Rel (he’s ahead of Glendening and Weiss only, and Glendening has a usage excuse) that he didn’t have the puck—he was supposed to play a heavy game.  But he was unable to do that job this year.  Bert on the other hand delivered 40 more hits than he took, and was second on the team in hit differential behind Ericsson.

About all you can say for Cleary in his case versus Bert is that he played with worse teammates.  But that is because Mike Babcock knows that Bertuzzi still has something to offer quality linemates as a complementary player, whereas Cleary does not.

So yes, “clones” if you don’t pay attention to ordinary stats, advanced stats, physical play, and the coach’s implicit evaluation via use.

Posted by captaineclectic on 06/19/14 at 02:23 PM ET