The Malik Report

Good And Bad News For The Wings

from Pat Caputo of Heritage.com,

The good news for the Red Wings: They have 10 players selected to compete in Sochi, along with Mike Babcock, who is sitting on the hot seat as Canada’s Olympic coach.

The bad news: The Red Wings have 10 players selected to compete in Sochi.

It is the ultimate good-news, bad-news tale for an NHL squad. It can’t be a bad team if there are 10 players represented at the Olympics, but while most of the league is resting for a playoff push, the majority of Red Wings will be playing. And then, upon return, the Red Wings will be asked to ratchet up their collective game to make the playoffs for the 23rd straight season, which is anything but a given at this stage.

Oh, then there is the matter of the schedule leading to the Olympics. It’s very difficult, and could provide the key to the Red Wings’ season.

The Red Wings have road trips to the New York Rangers and Philadelphia (both teams have gotten hot), and Washington and Tampa Bay before the Olympics.

The Red Wings’ home games figure to be as or more difficult than the road trips – vs. Los Angeles, St. Louis, Chicago, Washington, Montreal and Vancouver. There are no lay ups in there, except for perhaps a road trip to Florida. It is the Red Wings’ last game before the Olympic break.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

The red wings being injured is such a let down. I mean. I think sometimes Datsyuk is just resting so he can play hard in sochi. same thing with franzen. Datsyuk went from scoring in a shootout at the winter classic,  - no practice - then to injured list for 5 games.. like. so disappointing.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/15/14 at 12:46 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Which NHL team has the most representatives at Sochi?

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/15/14 at 01:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Wings, Blackhawks and Blues have ten each.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/15/14 at 01:34 PM ET

The last time the Olympics cut into the regular season schedule (‘09-‘10), the Wings made it to the Western Conference semifinals (lost to SJS, 4-1).  I can’t recall the injury situation back then (I can’t find records for that; but I did find this).  The time off should help everyone else.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/15/14 at 01:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Opinions are a wonderful thing… you can have one even if it’s not based in reality.

Posted by calquake on 01/15/14 at 01:56 PM ET

Using Paul’s link from another post, I found the season ending chart for man games lost at the end of the ‘09-‘10 season.

Wings were fourth in MGLs.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/15/14 at 02:30 PM ET

All in good fun

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/15/14 at 02:31 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Pav just said on facebook he’s been named captain of the Russian team… not only is this somewhat surprising to me but it all of a sudden makes me a not-so-secret Russia supporter. I mean, how can I not cheer for Pav? Playing in Russia no less, this is quite a load on his shoulders. Someone in Russia apparently “gets it” (Fetisov??)

I’m so excited for the olympics. It’s some of my favorite hockey there is. All-Star games that matter! one after the other. I really can’t wait.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/15/14 at 02:36 PM ET