The Malik Report

FYI Wings fans: Game 6 will not air on WDIV

I shoved this into an overnight report, so I'm not sure if you saw it. Per the Detroit News, if you are a hockey fan who is still watching the Stanley Cup Final, and if you do not have access to the CBC or WADL 38 on Monday, you're kind of screwed in terms of watching Game 6:

Monday night’s Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, if necessary, will be on WADL TV 38 in the Detroit area, not on WDIV Channel 4.

WDIV, which is NBC’s Detroit affiliate, will televise local fireworks coverage instead of the game.

Boston leads the series over Chicago, 2-1. Game 4 is Wednesday and Game 5 is Saturday, and the series could be over on Saturday.

Monday’s Game 6, scheduled for an 8 p.m. start, also would be on Canada’s CBC if it is played.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bugsy's avatar

There is the internet, watching the game from NBC’s website, if the internet company you subscribe to has an agreement w/NBC.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/20/13 at 12:44 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

That’s a tricky one because about half of the people I’ve talked to on Twitter can’t access that stream. WOW, the cable company I’m stuck with, doesn’t pay in, either.

Methinks illegal streams will be the way to go for many Metro Detroit hockey fans on Monday.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/20/13 at 02:50 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

What’s weird is the NBC announcement said WOW was one of the participating providers:

“Below is a list of participating NBC Sports Live Extra providers:

Cablevision
  Comcast Xfinity
  DISH
  Mediacom
  Suddenlink
  Verizon FiOS
  WOW!

For desktops, NBC Sports Live Extra can be accessed at NBCSports.com/liveextra. The NBC Sports Live Extra app for mobile devices and tablets is available at the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and on select Android handset and tablet devices within Google Play.

Events airing on:

NBC will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra;

NBC Sports Network will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra, and to the digital platforms of participating cable, satellite, and telco services, via “TV Everywhere,” which is available on an authenticated basis to subscribers of participating MVPDs.”

I don’t have WOW, so no idea what to say otherwise.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/20/13 at 03:17 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

My cable system carries the CBC, so I’m fine there, thankfully. I’ve enjoyed their broadcasts as I’m not much of a “Passive Voice Emrick” fan.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/20/13 at 03:23 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

That’s good. My only shot at CBC is when they at least put up the one Wings game and when the NBC conglomerate would show the CBC feed in the first round. I know Bob Cole is showing more of his age, but when you’ve listened for decades to that voice and enthusiasm (my main memories were of the Harry Neale “he’s a better commentator than Wings coach” generation), it’s hard not to choose that over Emrick (and I like, not love Emrick) or maybe Dave Strader (of more recent Wings memory).  I really miss Bruce Martyn, but that’s for another time,....

Posted by Bugsy on 06/20/13 at 03:37 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

(to clarify, CBC with the internet upload, NBC with the cable channels of the other first round games)

Posted by Bugsy on 06/20/13 at 03:46 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Cole’s not doing the final. Hughson’s pretty good and I can stand Healy, so I live with them. Emrick is tolerable, but add McGuire and Olczyk to the mix, and I start getting twitchy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/20/13 at 03:53 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

It was nice to hear Cole for the Wings game in the second round, felt a bit weird to hear him call “the fight where a hockey game broke out” Ottawa-Montreal game (taped part of that). Hughson what little I’ve heard is good enough, just not the type of voice I prefer (calls the game well enough) but sooner or later they had to push Cole to #2 to make room (heaven knows when he’ll be pushed out seeing the flaming wars about him now, and you wonder if Cole will leave kicking and screaming figuratively). I can handle McGuire. I get twitchy with just Olczyk—maybe icky is the word, and he doesn’t even have to be calling the Hawks to make me feel that.  I’m not a big fan of Engblom, but I’d take him in a heartbeat over Olczyk. I wish I could have heard the games when Mickey Redmond did color commentary for CBC.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/20/13 at 04:10 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

In 08 and 09, I missed a finals game because my NBC affiliate was showing the Jerry Lewis telethon instead.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/20/13 at 09:36 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

honestly WHO CARES

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 06/20/13 at 12:29 PM ET

honestly WHO CARES

Who’s playing again?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/20/13 at 03:47 PM ET