The Malik Report

Fun health update from George

For those of you who've been wondering, a health update follows the jump cut. For those of you who aren't keen on exciting news about where I've been over the last 9 days, here's what I watch to relax--footage of airplanes (and the tune is Ladyhawke's "Magic").

I've had the norovirus since April 26th, which is a long time, but these particularly virulent illnesses tend to stick around, and I'm right in that seven-to-ten-days "butter zone" for this bug.

The 26th was bad, with my digestive system evacuating itself by any means necessary, and since then, I've been battling fevers and chills, nausea and mostly massive fatigue. Aside from getting up to watch the Stars game, I remember very little of the last weekend of the regular season, and aside from getting up to watch playoff games and do quick takes, I've done little other than sleep over the past week.

No grocery shopping runs, no ferrying the mom to appointments, not much other than rest. I haven't eaten much solid food, either, and I usually have a decent appetite.

Mentally, I've been fine outside a little gloominess here and there, but that's just somewhat ironic at this point.

Mostly, the last nine days have been an extremely crappy experience, especially knowing that I'm missing the playoff fun and inconveniencing you and Paul, but I've just had no energy otherwise.

The last time I got this was during Steve Yzerman's number retirement ceremony in 2007, and I was laid out for three weeks as it's common knowledge that my immune system sucks...But I'm trying to beat that this time around, so I'm doing all I can in staying hydrated and resting up.

I literally can't sit up at times and I sure as hell can't concentrate, so I can't even half-ass my job--and at this point, half-assing would be great as far as I'm concerned.

So I'll be back as soon as I can. When? I hope it's a day or two, but I can't make any promises because the body's in charge, not me.  I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

Get better soon:)

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/05/13 at 06:33 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Get well soon, George.
Great video!

Posted by w2j2 on 05/05/13 at 06:58 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Get well George. You da man. Thumbs up

Posted by DAN M on 05/05/13 at 09:05 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

And ya cool video too. Bad asses usually do watch bad ass things lol.

Posted by DAN M on 05/05/13 at 09:21 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Have some soup.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/05/13 at 09:24 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is Maverick requesting a fly-by.

Negative Maverick, the pattern is full.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/05/13 at 11:01 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Keeping you in my prayers, GJM.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/05/13 at 01:19 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

Get well soon! Don’t worry about the coverage right now, your health comes first and Paul is doing fine filling in.

Posted by Bradley97 on 05/05/13 at 02:38 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, George.

In the meantime, enjoy these…

Cabrio (catapult-launched) glider flight - not sure who does the music

Stemme S-10 motor glider prep and flight - music is by Enya

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/05/13 at 07:00 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

*#$%@&. Diet. Ever.

Sorry George.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/06/13 at 01:49 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I have to wonder how many of those boys were inspired by Top Gun….

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/06/13 at 01:50 AM ET