The Malik Report

FSD’s ‘The 313’: Dylan Larkin, probably the Wings’ next captain

In the "off-day 'talk'" department, Fox Sports Detroit's "The 313" discussed the popular belief that Dylan Larkin will succeed Henrik Zetterberg as the Red Wings' next captain:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

If Zetterberg plays another two seasons beyond this one, absolutely without a doubt Larkin should and will be. If Z retires after this season, or perhaps after next year, I’m not certain they’d give him the C, even though I still think they should.

Posted by Brilith Ruin on 01/09/18 at 01:38 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Dylan Larkin, definitely the Wings’ next captain

fixed smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/09/18 at 01:40 PM ET

Wasn’t Stevie, like, 19? I don’t think this is a stretch for Detroit at all.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/09/18 at 02:01 PM ET

He was 21 or 22 I think, but different management/ownership, and a different time in the team’s history too. I could see Holland trying to transition it via Abdelkader or something like that…

To me, the only possible scenario in which it would be acceptable for someone else to be the next captain, is if Z retires following this season, Kronwall plays another year, and they want to give him the C for a season before Larkin. I could accept that. I wouldn’t agree with it, and I wouldn’t do that myself, but it wouldn’t make me angry or anything either.

Posted by Brilith Ruin on 01/09/18 at 02:13 PM ET

I always thought Abdelkader was the heir apparent to the captaincy after Zetterberg. Big contract, hometown guy, something something intangibles, just seemed inevitable.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 01/09/18 at 02:45 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I’m not sure saddling this kid with being Captain is the right move, might be, those in the room will know.

What’s important to this franchise is that Larkin becomes a franchise player, if being Captain is a burden on his development or growth into elite status, no thanks. I mean this is HHHT, not Las Vegas or Florida,  y’all a bunch of finicky Monday morning QBing unrealistic expectations beyatches (myself included), good bad or indifferent, he’s gonna take the weight of how this team performs, maybe better carried by an Ablekater for a few years.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/09/18 at 04:18 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

So the whole Abby is the great leader and next Captain that we absolutely must sign is not a thing now…. got it.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/09/18 at 04:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/09/18 at 03:33 PM ET

Just skimming through the posts here about Abby’s signing…most everyone was not on board. Mostly for the term. And most anyone who were on the positive side of the contract don’t really comment any more.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/09/18 at 04:44 PM ET

Abdelkader in no way whatsoever should be the next captain of the Wings. Captains should be able to lead the team not only off the ice but on the ice as well. Whenever we needed a big goal, Yzerman delivered. Zetterberg has done the same thing throughout his time as captain, but has shown signs of regression with the new faster NHL. I don’t see how Abdelkader could ever fill the role of captain on the ice. He’s just not that good of a player in today’s NHL. Larkin seems to have the character and maturity to take the C from Hank.

Posted by JaySayers on 01/09/18 at 04:50 PM ET

Posted by JaySayers on 01/09/18 at 04:52 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by JaySayers on 01/09/18 at 03:50 PM ET

You do remember seeing Gary Bettman hand Dustin Brown a cup right? Meanwhile some teams like Las Vegas play without a captain. Let’s not overplay it, its as much if not more responsibility off the ice and with the press as it is within the locker room.

Ablekater can wear a C for a few years and give it up later, Kronner can, Neilson could, better to wait until the kid is developed to where he wants to be then to saddle him with responsibility.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/09/18 at 05:20 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I think the whole “Abdelkader as next Captain” thing was probably one of those, “hey this could happen…who else would be Captain?!” types of things.  Somebody suggests it, others argue it, the post gets 54 comments, it comes up again, that post gets 48 comments, and it continues to snowball.  Nothing concrete…just a thought that got a little carried away.

Really though, NONE of us (I’m guessing?) know what’s going on in the locker room, nor do we know what kind of leaders any of these guys are.  So for us to deliberate over it is…kind of pointless.

I remember when Z was named Captain.  I thought, “hmm.  Well he’s quiet…not sure what kind of leader he’ll be.”  Turns out he’s been an unreal captain….far beyond what I thought he would be.  Sometimes you just don’t know what a guy is like until they have the chance to be THE guy.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/09/18 at 05:42 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 01/09/18 at 04:42 PM ET

Yep, that room knows way more than us keyboard thumpers who should be branded with the C next. That player might not even be on the team yet.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/09/18 at 05:43 PM ET

I’m pretty certain that our next captain won’t win a Stanley Cup here. Clock re-sets after Kenny loses all decision-making influence.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/10/18 at 08:11 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/09/18 at 04:20 PM ET

You do remember LA taking Brown’s captaincy from him and giving it to Kopitar when it was realized he wasn’t all that great a player, right?

Abdelkader shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the captaincy. He doesn’t lead on the ice, takes bad penalties, is wildly inconsistent in production, not captain material. Like Cleary, I don’t care how good he may be in the room. People don’t take you seriously when you don’t show it on the ice. Larkin, on the other hand, has shown tremendous determination and maturity this year in improving his game in every single respect and has taken our 1C position, media depth charts be damned.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/10/18 at 07:11 AM ET

The clock reset when the shine came off the turd after last season, and it’s ticking quickly for Kenny. We can win a cup in a few years if we do these next few offseasons right.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/10/18 at 10:30 AM ET

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 01/10/18 at 09:30 AM ET

Yep. I agree. Give the C to Larkin and let him help rebuild the team. The Org gave it to Stevie when they weren’t much, why not give it to D-Boss and build character around him?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/10/18 at 12:21 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/10/18 at 11:21 AM ET

I seem to remember Gary Bettman handing Brown a cup = Success, so obviously it was not a failure, Kopitar either wasn’t ready yet or Brown was a better fit then.  Actually a case in point on why why they could give it to Abby for a couple of years and then to Larkin. I’m not married to Abby, go with Neilson, Kronwall, someone else could care less.

As for the Yzerman, being Captain of the “Dead Things” 3 decades ago around the same age is much much much different than being Captain of the Wings and putting up with HHHT nation

Again, my point was that being captain of this team has a heavy weight especially as we muddle through the next 2-5 years, and it might not be in his best interest to weigh him down before he’s done growing. Or he might also relish it, and it might drive him, we don’t know, those in the room hopefully have an idea, but they don’t know for sure either.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/10/18 at 01:08 PM ET