The Malik Report

FSD: Wings coach Mike Babcock says Danny DeKeyser broke his thumb, is done for the year

Per Fox Sports Detroit, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock told John Keating that Danny DeKeyser suffered a broken thumb in the 3rd period of Game 2 between the Wings and Ducks and is done for the year.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

bleep bloop's avatar

ffs

Posted by bleep bloop on 05/03/13 at 01:36 AM ET

phuch

Posted by akwingsfan on 05/03/13 at 01:37 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Sonofa #@$#!$@#!!!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/03/13 at 01:39 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Does anyone know the play?  ANA was slashing quite a bit.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/13 at 01:42 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

This is more or less how I feel right now

Posted by Zqto on 05/03/13 at 01:43 AM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

great.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/03/13 at 01:43 AM ET

Call up that Jensen kid.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 05/03/13 at 01:44 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I am too jacked up on tea, caffeine, and chocolate to go to bed.  what depressing news about dekeyser, the best Defenseman in the league that’s only played 10 games!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/13 at 01:44 AM ET

Game over man, game over!

Posted by maltby18 on 05/03/13 at 01:45 AM ET

harken23's avatar

Not even “upper body injury”, eh, just “broken thumb”. Wondering if there might be a touch of gamesmanship going on here. At least that’s what I’ll hope for.

Posted by harken23 on 05/03/13 at 01:48 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Play about a dozen games and then injured… Isn’t that pretty much par for the course with all Wings defensemen this year?

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 05/03/13 at 01:50 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Whoever gets the call has to get the job done. There are going to be 2 others ready to go if he’s not.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/03/13 at 01:58 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Not worried. We’ve played plenty without Dekeyser.  I sweat when its 1 goal difference or tied in a elimination game.  That’s really the only time. I feel terrible for him, though.  If it was intentional then I really hope its addressed.  I’m not holding my breath, tho Cooke should have had to pick up trash on the side of the road for what he’s done to savard and karlsson and he’s as free as a bird.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:58 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Its difficult to break a thumb without malicious intent.  True?  Let’s see that grade “A” depth in real time.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:03 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Hey George. Do u want Lashoff in there?

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:05 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I would rather put Lashoff in there but Babs has leaned on Colaiacovo.

And the scuttlebutt on Twitter is that Teemu Selanne and DeKeyser were slashing each other before the Palmieri/Selanne tip goal.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/03/13 at 02:23 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’d love to see lashoff replace ddk and cola replace quincey. Quinceys just not DRW material. He’s better suited for Colorado or the Panther or some other place that doesn’t care about winning.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:29 AM ET

I can understand your dislike for Quincey in general given how he played a good portion of the season and having given up a 1st round pick for him, but he made a lot of good plays in this game.  Other than a few coverage hiccups I thought he played pretty solid.  He wasn’t giving the puck away multiple times like Kronwall, Smith, and Kindl.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/03/13 at 02:39 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

I agree he did play well. That pass on the 1st goal was probably his greatest offensive moment since his return. I remember saying to myself wow this guys finally come to play thru 2.5 periods.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:43 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

So many of us ragged on bouwmeester but that’s a guy worth giving up that 1st rd pick for. A guy u kno is gonna fall outta bed and give u 25 mins. Maybe we would have done it if we kept the one last year.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:47 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Boumeester’s a guy who doesn’t get rattled, doesn’t let the crowd get to him. Doesn’t care that he’s only got 4 goals when 4 times that were expected of him. He just plays. In tough situations. STL is sure takin it to LA the 2nd time around JB’s a huge part of that.  Sometimes I get the feeling deep deep down Quincey is still mad we got rid of him in the 1st place.  I remember him trashing us as an AV (or was it King?) Then trashing the AVS after he came back to us.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 03:00 AM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

Major, major bummer. Danny D is becoming one of my favourites. Whoever steps in will have to step up his game.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 05/03/13 at 10:01 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Maybe there’s a silver lining in this and the Wings def. corps discovers they *can* play better without Dekeyser.

Maybe a kid walking in from NCAA and getting that kind of ice-time immediately is a nice wake-up call to the others.

Posted by Primis on 05/03/13 at 10:08 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

This is about the most disappointing news I could have woken up to this morning.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/03/13 at 10:15 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well maybe we need to make him mad again.

But what I think really went on last night is a bunch of guys mentally checked out when we were up.  Q was not alone.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/03/13 at 10:16 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Cant play a series with the Fuchs and not come out with an injury or 3.  Too bad it is Der Kaiser, he’s been as solid as you can get for a rookie dman.  I can only guess how excited he was to come outta college and be in his first Stanley Cup playoffs, and now this.  Bummer.

Kronner really needs to step up his game now.  He’s made some bonehead passes, been reluctant to shoot, and has been soft in his own end at times.  Time to sack up and show the kids how its done.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/03/13 at 10:23 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Howard needs to be better.  Patrick Roy that performance was not reminding me of.  If we’re winning Jim Jam has to be our Pat Roy. MTL patrick roy. You kno before we all hated him.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 10:23 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The image of DK from last night that will stick in my mind was of him playing GetsLaughedAt absolutely perfectly just before Jimmy let in his weak backhander. DK kept him from coming out on Jimmy’s left, stayed right with him as he went behind the net, kept him from turning around for a forehand shot and stopped him from lifting his stick enough to get off a hard backhander.

A great, great play (almost Listrom-esque) by a “kid” in just his 13th NHL game. Jobu really hates the Wings this year.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 10:25 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Jobu really hates the Wings.

Seems as it’s more than just this year OTC.
Gawdamnit.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/03/13 at 10:36 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

DD’s loss is Lashoff’s gain.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 10:41 AM ET

The loss of DeKeyser hurts almost as much as watching Jimmy Howard tend goal in the playoffs.

Posted by godblender on 05/03/13 at 10:46 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

IMO opinion I believe Lashoff has what it takes to have a future here. Launching pad. I’d be stoked. I hope he is too.  He’s a guy we need to do some serious charlie work.  I just know its gonna be Fasth the next game.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 10:47 AM ET

klank's avatar

sucks… even though Wings won, feels like a loss.

see you next year, Danny.  you’ve been a joy to watch;  such poise.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/03/13 at 10:47 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

It does suck. Especially for him. We can without him tho. We can’t win with out the Euro twins. Datsyuk 20-8 last night on FO’s!?!??!

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 10:49 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

For those feeling bad about the loss of DK (and who isn’t), here’s something that should help cheer you up. The Griffins beat the Aeros Wednesday, and Pulkkinen scored his first AHL goal. They’re up 2-1 in the series and can close it out on Friday.

Best part of the video on the page above comes at the end. As soon as Blashill starts talking, close your eyes and see if he reminds you of anyone. smile

And here’s another story about Pulkkinen.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 10:59 AM ET

I saw the play, he was slashed on the Ducks 3rd goal I believe he went down grabbing is forearm.  It did look like Selanne did it.  Very cheap play.  But congrats to DeKeyser, and there is no longer a question as to IF he can pla in the NHL, the question now is what is his ceiling.

Posted by bababooey on 05/03/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios

Holy crap! Are they clones or father/son?
Their voices are freaking identical!  lol

Posted by Zqto on 05/03/13 at 11:39 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t see DeKeyser on the ice during the Ducks’ goals.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/13 at 11:49 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I used to be a Selanne fan but between him saying Kronwall needs to get jumped for hitting him and all the cheap slashes I saw last night as well as embelishing every chance he could.  I understand why he loves GEtz and Perry so much, he must fit right in.

I knew guys like that.. actually most were girls but you’d think they were nice as hell, but the longer you know them the more you realize how fuching twisted they are.

Are the Wings ever going to match physicality with the Fuchs, ever?

DK was one of the most physical guys we had and he’s sure as hell not the biggest.

Even though we won, there was A LOT to be desired after that game.  Still haven’t got our head in the playoffs yet either.

Also, DK was our most consistent shot blocker, everyone else seems to still be using their sticks.  Just the first round, diont’ want to get hurt and fuch up your golf swing though.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/03/13 at 11:56 AM ET

Tough call between Cola and Lash I think. Our PK has been abysmal but we just lost a great PK guy in DK. So do you put another rookie in to play the PK? What about the horrid time Smith is having both on the PK and 5-5? Do you sit Smith and put both Cola and Lash in as the 3rd pair hoping that with last change you’ll be OK with them?

Posted by AZWinger on 05/03/13 at 12:36 PM ET