The Malik Report

From The Wings’ Practice Today

Khan tweets,

Alfredsson (back spasms) not skating today. Zetterberg has day off but Ken Holland said he will play Thursday at Rangers.

Injured players Datsyuk, Franzen, Helm all skating.

Howard (hip flexor) sharing a net with Gustvasson (groin) in warmups. Mrazek has net to himself.

More updates to come...

added 11:37am, via Chuck Pleiness tweet,

Franzen is having quite an intense practice. Lots of shoving along the boards and by crease. Good sign he could be getting close to return.

added 11:41am, per Khan,

Datsyuk leaves practice early.

added 12:27pm, via Khan,

Howard said he is ready to play Thursday. Helm said he's still not feeling good enough and is day to day.

added 1:23pm, Khan again,

Franzen said he's still experiencing dizziness and doesn't feel good. Status for Thursday uncertain.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Khan reports Helm not taking part in line rushes, Datsyuk and Franzen are.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/14 at 11:21 AM ET

OMG HELM GET BETTER> wtf.. this kid just doesn’t heal. freaking take 2 weeks off to the Bahamas and come back ready to practice. this kid needs to figure out how to not get hurt. what a glass of water.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/14/14 at 11:26 AM ET

gowings's avatar

My son told me this morning that he agrees with his dad, that the Wings will make it to the playoffs….he says to me that there is always light at the end of the tunnel (my husband’s favorite quote)....I laughed and told him it could just be the headlights of a train….not the sun…..poor kid, he did not get it (until he runs to see his dad)

Yes, I am pretty pessimistic here, but I am looking at all the other teams on our tail…wow…not just one or 2….I know we have injuries, but by the time they all get back…if they ever do…I fear it might be too late…. :(

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/14/14 at 11:49 AM ET

Paul's avatar

As expected, Babcock says he won’t know status of injured players until after practice tomorrow.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/14 at 12:44 PM ET

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/14/14 at 11:49 AM ET

The fact that they’re still in the playoffs 46 games into the season despite the amount of injuries they’ve had to put up with and the general mediocre-to-bad way they’ve played this year makes me marvel that the idea that people can think they won’t make the playoffs…

Posted by Garth on 01/14/14 at 01:10 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/14/14 at 01:10 PM ET

Thank Gord for the loser points.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 01/14/14 at 01:31 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Franzen said he’s still experiencing dizziness and doesn’t feel good.

So the last message explains the first one. Apparently, he’s so confused that for a brief moment he actually thought he was a power forward. smile

I hope Mrazek gets the start – and a freaking win. The kid has a 1.60 GAA and a .923 Save Percentage, and he’s 1-3. He deserves a break.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/14/14 at 02:14 PM ET

Alan's avatar

My optimism remains unwavering.

Just to ensure that optimism continues to be unwavering, I shall purchase copious amounts of alcohol, and build myself a “fort” in the back of the Hasek.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/14/14 at 02:53 PM ET

added 1:23pm, Khan again,

Franzen said he’s still experiencing dizziness and doesn’t feel good. Status for Thursday uncertain.

Not good.  Time for Sheahan and/or Jurco to assert themselves as the next Wings’ hope for a legit power forward (or two).

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/14/14 at 03:09 PM ET

von Awesome's avatar

This is getting ridiculous.

Posted by von Awesome on 01/14/14 at 04:57 PM ET