The Malik Report

From Detroit’s Morning Skate

All via tweets from Ansar Khan,

Zetterberg skating with team for first time in more than 2 weeks. Had skated on his own a few times.

Abdelkader skating again. Franzen and Nyquist are not skating. Howard was on ice earlier but not ready to practice yet.

Wings skating with these lines: Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson, Miller-Andersson-Tatar, Cleary-Glendening-Eaves, Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Tootoo.

Samuelsson appears to be a healthy scratch. Eaves takes his place at right point on 2nd PP unit. Sheahan up front on 2nd PP unit.

added 11:23am,

added 11:45am, More Khan tweets, this time updates on the injured...

Ken Holland said Zetterberg will be ready on Dec. 28 for sure. Hoping Howard is ready Dec. 30 or Jan. 1.

Abdelkader might play Saturday or Monday. Nyquist remains day to day. Franzen won't be ready until after Christmas break.

Weiss is seeing a groin/abdominal specialist in Philadelphia on Friday to determine if he needs surgery.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

alwaysaurie's avatar

Was hoping to see info on Helm… as in, “Helm will be playing this Saturday.”

Nice to see good news for Z and Abby, tho’.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 12/19/13 at 10:53 AM ET

Paul's avatar

MSM tweet saying Gustavsson off the ice first, which means probable starter tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/19/13 at 11:00 AM ET

This Samuelsson signing is so bad that Samuelsson can’t crack the Wings’ lineup with Luke Glendening as the 3rd line center and Drew Miller as a 2nd line winger.

Someone needs to ask the following questions to Ken Holland:
1) Why did you think Mikael Samuelsson was worth $3M per season for two years when halfway through year 2, he can’t crack a lineup with the aforementioned players in the aforementioned roles? How is it that his judgment was so off?

2) After the 2012 playoffs, which saw Nashville using Jordin Tootoo a healthy scratch down the stretch and in the playoffs, what made Ken Holland say: “I gotta have Jordin Tootoo and I gotta have him for three years and I want to pay him just shy of $2M per season?” Again, how is it that his judgment could be so far off the mark?

I know, I know. I’m not even the 1,000,000th person to post this complaint (this month) but seriously. This lineup is the glaring evidence that Ken Holland’s judgment on Samuelsson was so far off that his credibility should be questioned. Where’s Helene St. James or any of the other journalists framing the question in this way? Instead, Samuelsson gets the elephant in the room treatment - just don’t talk about him (or if they do, and they might actually make some statement about how he’s been a disappointment). Even in the event that his dreadful uselessness gets mentioned, it’s never in an article/story where Ken Holland has to answer to why he signed him.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/19/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Is Mrazek or Gustavsson playing tonight?

(Fantasy purposes)

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/19/13 at 12:02 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

I believe Khan tweeted that Gustavsson was starting

Posted by Rondo on 12/19/13 at 12:04 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Damnit! Oh well. Thanks for the info…

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/19/13 at 12:08 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Miller-Andersson-Tatar

That being the Wings 2nd line tells you just how bad the injuries have been. At least we get to see what the young guys can do before Holland buries them in GR again so he can give Buckets a 3-year, $9M contract.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/19/13 at 12:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Helm did not skate today, has the flu.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/19/13 at 12:30 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Someone needs to ask the following questions to Ken Holland:

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/19/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Unfortunately Ken Holland didn’t have a time machine when he resigned Sammey, and was instead going on the fact he put up .58 points per game the year before in Florida, and .69 points per game the two seasons before that with Vancouver.

I don’t know Ken Holland personally, but I’m going to guess he’s almost as smart as you, so knowing now how everything played out he’s probably also not happy with the signing.

Posted by SK77 on 12/19/13 at 12:31 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Would a Weiss surgery be season-ending?  Wouldn’t that be a big chunk of cap change?

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/19/13 at 12:31 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/19/13 at 12:27 PM ET

Even when the young guys are playing you find a way to spin it negatively. What exactly do you want?

Posted by SK77 on 12/19/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Dear Santa.

All I want for Christmas is Helm, Eaves and Tootoo on the second line.

Posted by leftwing on 12/19/13 at 12:46 PM ET

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Whoa.  Between Dangles and Dangles Jr., that’s almost too much stick-handling, puck-handling magicianship for one line.

And I can’t wait to see it happen.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 12/19/13 at 12:55 PM ET

Some kid touched on the salient point, mainly being that hindsight’s almost always 20/20.

That said, people make mistakes.  The Sammy and Tootoo deals have turned out to be mistake, as the Howard or Weiss or Alfredsson or whatever deal might turn out to be mistakes down the line.

The bottom line is, if your standards of a GM are such that they have to be mistake free in order for you to trust their judgment, you’re never ever going to trust a GMs judgment.

Further, I feel like there’s something going on besides hockey with regards to Sammy and Detroit.  He’s not played worse than Glendening or Tootoo or Eaves or a whole bunch of other guys, but he’s on the bench.  I don’t know if there’s something else going on here, it just seems strange.

And I can’t wait to see it happen.

Well, that was a combo Detroit used quite a bit against Anaheim last game (as in, it was the second most used ES group) so, you know, you’ve already seen it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/19/13 at 01:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Could be a combination of factors.

1.) scapegoating the guy with one foot out the door already is easier than the ones who may stick around longer.  It can also work as a warning shot message.  Not sure how effective it is if it’s known, but seeing a veteran lose a tie in the Red Wings locker room has to get noticed.

2.) Babcock simply doesn’t like Samuelsson (through any combination of Babcock’s attitude and Sammy’s attitude being a bad fit)

3.) Holland wants him out and is giving a bit of guidance as far as whether Sammy should be playing for any range of essentially equally-as-disappointing players.

4.) Sammy is not in the right kind of shape, by fault or no fault of his own.

Based on pure speculation, I think number 2 is the strongest reason with a little bit of 1 and 4 thrown in and very little 3.

I was hoping that Sameulsson’s most recent scratch would earn Brendan Smith time at the point on the 2nd power play unit instead of Eaves though.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/19/13 at 01:50 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/19/13 at 01:50 PM ET

Agreed, J.J. - hell, I’d even like to see him get a look at forward on the second unit.

Posted by some kid on 12/19/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/19/13 at 01:08 PM ET

You’re both right: hindsight is 20/20 and I am sure Holland is upset too. I don’t expect mistake-free work - but I don’t think I was alone when at the time of the Samuelsson and Tootoo signings, I said “what?!?!??!” I don’t claim to be smarter than Ken Holland nor am I privy to information regarding players and player transactions that is not public. But when deals are signed that go this bad, there has to be a question as to what the thought process was. In my job (or anyone’s job), if I (or anyone else) make a decision that is supposed to help the company and it blows up into a big failure, my credibility gets called into question. Anyways, I look at these glaring strikeouts and I just feel concerned. I know this is beyond beating the dead horse. But the guy deserves the criticism. Just like he’ll get praise for doing good things.

The point you make about something going on behind the scenes with Samuelsson is something I hadn’t thought of. Samuelsson was brought on here to score and he’s been a failure in a bottom-6 role; with the massive number of injuries, this would be a legitimate chance for him to get time on the second line where he can focus on scoring (then again, didn’t he already play games with Andersson and Tatar with little effect?). That is pretty persuasive to imply that he is in some kind of dog house with the coach.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/19/13 at 02:21 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by some kid

I want an absolute, iron-clad guarantee that Holland will not give Cleary a new contract, thereby guaranteeing that at least one more of the young-uns gets to play in Detroit next year.

Since you seem to be a big fan of Kenny’s, how about seeing if you can arrange that, will you? smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/19/13 at 02:33 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 12/19/13 at 02:21 PM ET

Well, I quoted for you what sort of points Sammey had put up the 3 seasons before resigning with Detroit. Those are good numbers and if he’d maintained some semblance of that level then it would have been a decent two-year signing where Sammey could have been a 3rd line winger and played point on the 2nd power play unit with his right-hand shot.

Now if KH would have had a crystal ball and seen that Sammey would have become injured, completely unable to play the first year of his contract, and been unable to regain any of his form in the second year, then KH wouldn’t have signed him. How you hold KH accountable for someone being injured though, I don’t know.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/19/13 at 02:33 PM ET

I’ve got no horse in this race. Though I am a bigger fan of Kenny than Danny, so I’ll see what I can do for yah!  LOL

Posted by SK77 on 12/19/13 at 02:47 PM ET

Even when the young guys are playing you find a way to spin it negatively.

To be fair, there is a precedence to be worried about.

Posted by Garth on 12/19/13 at 04:00 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

Sure, #37 is not the player he was with Florida and Vancouver… But I believe it’s silly to keep riding him at this point. He is not the reason we can’t win in the SO, he isn’t the reason we are a mediocre team…
His salary is not even a concern, since we get so much relief from all the LTIRs…

Posted by alukacs on 12/19/13 at 06:12 PM ET