The Malik Report

Frk!

Wings prospect Martin Frk with 5g, 3a tonight...

thanks to John Moore tweet for the pointer...

Update: The Halifax Metro News's Andrew Rankin offers a Frk'ing amazing recap (and photo gallery):

If tonight’s any indication, the Saint John Sea Dogs are in a pile of trouble. Led by Martin Frk and his first line mates, who combined for a whopping 18 points, the Halifax Mooseheads pummeled the Sea Dogs 11-1 in Game 1 of their playoff series in front of 9,120 ecstatic fans at the Metro Centre on Friday night.

Frk recorded five goals and three assists to set a new franchise record for goals and points in a playoff game.

“I don’t even know what to say,” said an overjoyed Frk. “This is crazy for me, it has never happened to me before. I have to thank the boys… they did everything for me.”

His first line partners didn’t do too shabby either: Jonathan Drouin picked up six helpers while Nathan MacKinnon finished with a pair of goals and assists.

“We really took it to them tonight,” said MacKinnon. “Great night for Marty. When he’s hot he just stays hot. The boys played really hard. We didn’t play our best game the last time we played Saint John. We deserved the win.”

Outshooting the Sea Dogs 59-19, the Mooseheads simply overwhelmed their 16th place opponent from start to finish.

Thanks to stellar goaltending from Sebastien Auger, the Sea Dogs were able to keep it a one-goal game after the first period. But the tide turned big time with the Mooseheads scoring eight goals in the second period.

Stefan Fournier, Brent Andrews, Dominic Beauchemin and Stephen MacAulay all tallied to round out the scoring for the Mooseheads.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

calquake's avatar

Certainly looks like a 4th line grinder to me. wink

Posted by calquake on 03/22/13 at 08:26 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Great job Freak! Could this little guy be a Helm, but able to finish? Awesome times ahead if it turns out this way.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/22/13 at 08:49 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Remember, Maltby once finished a season in the minors with 90 something points if I’m not mistaken. So let’s not get too excited yet.

Posted by gt500x on 03/22/13 at 08:57 PM ET

Fourth line material.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/23/13 at 01:15 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

He clearly needs about three more years of ripening.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/23/13 at 01:38 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

I like that it was a nice mix of goals. Sniping from afar and mucking and driving at the net.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/23/13 at 11:08 AM ET

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/22/13 at 09:49 PM ET

Probably not, He plays a completely different style than Helm and skating has always been a concern for Frk, it’s improving but I don’t think he’ll ever be on Helmer’s level (IMO Frk is top 6 or bust). Andreas Athanasiou on the other hand…......

He clearly needs about three more years of ripening.

I know this joke is all the rage but in this case 2-3 years is probably pretty accurate, from what I’ve read Frk needs work in quite a few area: 2 way game, Skating, controlling his temper, and to stop taking stupid penalties (he’s cut it down as of late but it still needs to be controlled) 2-3 years in GR will do him well.

Posted by Pulsar93 on 03/23/13 at 01:38 PM ET