The Malik Report

Friedman: Wings inquired about Myers, told Mantha was asking price. ‘The Red Wings stopped there’

What is now "Sportsnet on the CBC's" Hockey Night in Canada did a sort of "Satellite Hotstove" in which Elliotte Friedman and Damien Cox dispensed hockey knowledge, and the indispensible Chris Nichols summarized it. I'm hoping that the segment is posted on Sportsnet, but Paul alerted me to this little tidbit from Friedman:

Friedman: "Another name that has been in the news has been Tyler Myers. One story from the summer is that Buffalo was asked about Detroit, 'We'd be interested in Tyler Myers.' The Sabres' ask back was Anthony Mantha. The Red Wings stopped there. That gives you an idea of what the price might be for Buffalo's defenseman."

Hahahahahano.

Nichols continues...

Edit: Via Paul:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Let us know how that works out, hanging onto Myers, Buffalo.  It hasn’t worked out so well for you yet.

By the time they’ll finally trade him, he’ll apparently have little-to-no value.

Posted by Primis on 10/11/14 at 10:51 PM ET

Hahahahahano.

Seconded.

Posted by captaineclectic on 10/11/14 at 10:56 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Friedman good Cox terrible, enough said.

Have fun trading Tyler, GM Murray

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/11/14 at 11:25 PM ET

Good thing the Wings stopped there.

I mean, why try negotiating?  Not like that’s ever worked for anyone before…

Posted by Garth on 10/11/14 at 11:44 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Baaaahahaha ... Mantha ??  Are they kidding ???

I’ve never been impressed with Myers.  Why bother ??

Watching Vancouver vs Edmonton now and I’d rather have Petry.  If we gotta give up someone like Nosek to get him that’s OK .. as long as Edmonton promises to take Kindl too… not that Jakub is playing horribly but, sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery to wake him up.  Maybe the colder Alberta weather will make him feel more at home.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 10/11/14 at 11:45 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Im surprised Holland didnt try to throw a 1st rounder on top, just to sweetin the deal.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/12/14 at 01:56 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

“The Wings stopped there” would indicate that the Sabres, like any other team that the Wings will want to trade with, will demand nothing less than a Mantha or, say, an Ouellet for starters.

If moving a Mantha or an Ouellet is an absolute necessary starting point of any and all trade negotiations regarding Right Hand Shooting Defenseman X, the Wings’ management sure a hell better stop and back away.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/12/14 at 02:42 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

George, allow me to make this trade happen for Kenny by using my fantasy hockey skills rolleyes
Myers and Stafford to Red Wings for Kindl, Andersson, Ericsson, Lashoff, and Weiss.
Twist my arms..Cleary too.

snake

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 10/12/14 at 02:51 AM ET

The initial ask is so large and goofy that it indicates that Buffalo has valued Myers unrealistically.

Detroit probably considers that Myers is a younger Jonathan Ericsson plus 3 inches.  Buffalo clearly thinks he’s Zdeno Chara.  You don’t want to pay through the nose for the latter to get the former.

Do we think Ouellet is a possible future superstar the way Mantha is?  I mean, there’s exactly one Mantha in our system but there’s five future NHL blueliners at least.  I just don’t know that Ouellet’s upside is that much higher than the other four’s.

Posted by captaineclectic on 10/12/14 at 09:02 AM ET

If this is what Holland means by “kicking the tires” then no wonder he can’t make a trade to improve his team.

“Hi, I’m interested in buying a car, how much is this one?”
“27,000”
“Oh, that’s too much.  Thank you, goodbye.”

If Ken Holland is looking for help on the trade market every GM with a decent defenseman is going to start the ask at Anthony Mantha.  That’s not a reason to stop talking.

Posted by Garth on 10/12/14 at 10:04 AM ET

d ca's avatar

“Hi, I’m interested in buying a car, how much is this one?”
“27,000”
“Oh, that’s too much.  Thank you, goodbye.”
Posted by Garth on 10/12/14 at 10:04 AM ET

Actually walking out of the dealership (just before the end of the month/quarter) is the best way to negotiate.

Same thing applies to Buffalo…let them get off to a terrible start and Myers rack up the minus ratings. His price will only go down as Buffalo is going nowhere this year. If they are serious about trading him the price will come down. If not and Buffalo is always listening to offers that blow them away…then the Wings can go after someone else.

Posted by d ca on 10/12/14 at 12:59 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Agreed. Myers might be cheaper later in the season.

Posted by bigfrog on 10/12/14 at 06:01 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Let me clarify: I would not be opposed to trading any of the Wings’ five young defensive prospects for an established NHL defenseman who can help the Wings offensively.

I’m just not sure that Myers is that player, and given that the Sabres are both a within-division team and given that the team is stockpiling prospects, I believe that the Sabres’ asking price for players who aren’t unrestricted free agents-to-be will remain prohibitively expensive.

The hope is of course that, yes, Kenny goes back to the negotiating table regarding Myers, Green, et. al. as the season progresses, injuries happen to every team and if all goes well the Wings can kick Kindl to the curb in a dump-him-for-little-return deal and promote and/or rotate one of their young defensemen until one steals a job…

And as the season progresses, UFA’s-to-be like Green’s agents negotiate or struggle to find common ground extension-wise, the Wings might find a way to gain some leverage.

If Ken Holland approaches a team and is told that Mantha is not only the “starting point” for a deal for an offensive and/or right-shooting defenseman, but that he is also a requirement in any transaction for an offensive and/or right-shooting defenseman—which seems to be the case in Sabres GM Tim Murray’s “ask”—that is indeed where I want to hear that Holland walked away from the table.

I’ve been watching the Wings’ prospects in summer development camps and prospect tournaments since 2008, and Mantha is the most talented player I’ve ever seen participate, better than Brendan Smith, better than Teemu Pulkkinen, better than Ryan Sproul, better than Petr Mrazek, Tomas Jurco, Tomas Tatar and even Gustav Nyquist. He’s a 6’4,” 209-pound sniper who projects as a James Neal-at-his-best player, someone who can actually score 25-to-30 goals on a yearly basis. He’s off limits in any and all trade talks.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/13/14 at 04:35 AM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

Buffalo clearly thinks he’s Zdeno Chara.

This is not true.  If it were, Myers wouldn’t be on the market.

Regarding the Mantha ask, I’m having a hard time believing that Tim Murray won’t deal with Detroit without that particular player being involved.  I think it’s a starting point for negotiations and that things could change in a few months.

I also believe that the Sabres will be more open to trading Myers than they were last season—especially if Ristolainen, McCabe and Pysyk continue to develop well.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 10/13/14 at 11:06 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thanks for the, “I follow the damn team” take on the situation, Dave. I hope that things do change in a few months, but I’m always leery of within-division trades. Especially when Buffalo’s already got a scary good set of prospects on the way!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/13/14 at 11:19 AM ET

Personally, I think it is a little silly of a GM to ask for Mantha in a trade unless he is giving up an elite player because almost everyone who has seen Mantha either thinks he is potential elite level player or knows the Wings value him that way.

Just because it is reported that way, I doubt that Holland hung up the phone. He probably just made it clear that wasn’t going to happen. The GMs are a pretty chummy group, I’m sure if there was serious interest on either side, there would have been more discussion or it will happen again soon.

Personally, I’d have a real hard time dealing Mantha until I see what he can do against NHL competition. It’s a risk when a good deal comes along but one that needs to be made in this circumstance. The Wings could really use a player like him in coming years, probably more than they need a defensive upgrade with all the young defensemen near NHL ready.

Posted by evileye on 10/13/14 at 02:55 PM ET