The Malik Report

Friedman: The Red Wings have re-signed Brendan Smith

Updated 7x at 5:49 PM: Excellent Red Wings news from the CBC's Elliotte Friedman:

Update:

So that's $1.265 million per season.

Update #2: TSN's Darren Dreger confirms, so it must be true:

Update #3:

Update #3.5:

Update #4: Via RedWingsFeed, the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness confirms:

Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed they have re-signed defenseman Brendan Smith to a two-year deal.

The deal for Smith, 24, is worth $2.525 million over the two years.

Ditto for Khan in article form:

The Detroit Red Wings and defenseman Brendan Smith have agreed to a two-year contract, avoiding salary arbitration.

The deal has a salary cap hit of $1.2625 million ($1.25 million next season, $1.275 million in 2014-15).

Update #5: There's a "summer cap" for a reason:

Update #6:

Update #7:  The Free Press's George Sipple spoke with Ken Holland about the contract:

"There was discussion about a three-year deal. “To be fair to the player and the club, we could feel comfortable putting together a two-year contract,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

Smith, 24, scored no goals and eight assists in 34 games last season for the Red Wings. He added two goals and three assists for five points in 14 playoff games.

“I thought it was a good rookie year for him,” Holland said. “Unfortunately he got hurt early.”

Smith suffered a shoulder injury in a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Feb. 2 and was out for almost a month.

“Obviously, coach (Mike) Babcock has a lot of confidence in him,” Holland said.

Smith, a first-round pick in 2007, was an offensive defensemen out of the University of Wisconsin and scored 27 goals in 152 games for the Grand Rapids Griffins in the American Hockey League.

“We think there’s some offense to come,” Holland said of Smith at the NHL level. “Mike Babcock hasn’t really put him on the power play yet. I think down the road he’ll get some opportunities.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

Good news.

Posted by awould on 07/15/13 at 03:26 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Nice

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/15/13 at 03:32 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

That’s…lower than anticipated. So uh…why did it go to arbitration?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/15/13 at 03:38 PM ET

nice deal for the wings.  better cap hit than I was expecting.

Posted by akwingsfan on 07/15/13 at 03:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Absolutely stunned.

It’s for like $2.5m total and I was expecting him to probably get more than that per yer even.  $3m/yr was not out of the question.

Talk about a friendly cap hit, wow.  It’s good for him in a way because it’s *only* 2 years and if he earns it he still has a big payday coming, and he can always remind them how cheaply he re-signed now…

Posted by Primis on 07/15/13 at 03:42 PM ET

Laran's avatar

Based off what Primis? He’s our most inconsistent top 6 defencman and has played a whopping 48 NHL games.

Posted by Laran on 07/15/13 at 03:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Laran on 07/15/13 at 03:45 PM ET

Based off the fact Ericsson and Kindl got much larger deals based of similarly-inconsistent, small sample sizes.

Posted by Primis on 07/15/13 at 03:47 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Fantastic deal for Smith. Very low hit for a guy I expect to be a top-four guy by the time it’s up and will expire with him as an RFA.

Only thing I don’t know for sure is whether this ends, the “arbitration filing” deadline for the Wings. If so, they will have a buyout window (not for compliance buyouts) that will open 48 hours from now and will be open for 3 days.

I just don’t know if this satisfies that or if it cancels it, since the buyouts outside the ordinary period are dependent upon arbitration dates and this either cancels the arbitration or settles it, depending on how the NHL looks at it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/15/13 at 03:49 PM ET

Laran's avatar

No they didn’t. Ericsson had already played 163 games and Kindl had played in 277 games. It’s not even close to comparable…

Posted by Laran on 07/15/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

That’s…lower than anticipated. So uh…why did it go to arbitration?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/15/13 at 03:38 PM ET

It looks as though he was willing to take a hometown discount and as George explained before,(I made a assumption, wrongly) it prevents other clubs from being able to present an offer sheet?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/15/13 at 03:58 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by Laran on 07/15/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Huh?

Kindl hadn’t played in 277 games when he signed his contract, being that he’s only played in 147 games as of now.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 07/15/13 at 04:02 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by Laran on 07/15/13 at 03:53 PM ET

thank you. this signing is not comparable to E or Kindl. Smith’s NEXT contract will be comparable in terms of sample size.

this is great news none the less. a hearing would have stopped a lot of great offseason momentum. I know it was unlikely, but it still was a bit of a lingering cloud.

Now we just have to worry about someone tossing Nyquist an absurd offer sheet… just to make Kenny sweat after making the blanket statement that he will match ANY offer. Unlikely, again, but could it be possible? Probably not. It sure wouldn’t be a bad gamble. I think Gus is going to be a beast in this league for years to come.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/15/13 at 04:04 PM ET

Even with his inconsistency this could be a huge blessing to the Wings.  By the time he’s up for contract renewal if he ends up being everything that’s expected of him the cap will be raised a fair bit to help pay for that raise.

Andersson, Smith, Dekeyser, Tatar, Nyquist.  All very capable players (or so it seems so far).  I kinda hope this is the core of the Wings in 6-7 years.

Posted by neffernin on 07/15/13 at 04:09 PM ET

Helluva signing.  Good work by both sides.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/15/13 at 04:09 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

A couple things on the Ericsson and Kindl comparisons.

1.  Most importantly, I do believe Ericsson was scheduled to be a UFA and not a RFA when he was re-signed, no?  That’s a significant difference right there.  Ericsson had also played a ton more games.

2.  Kindl is a better comparison in that he was a RFA.  Kindl was much better this year than Smith.  He was more consistent in every aspect of the game.  While I really like Brendan Smith and feel he’s got a lot of upside, it was a completel roller coaster of a season - sometimes even within a single game - for the guy.

It’s a good deal and makes sense for both sides.

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/15/13 at 04:59 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think Smith will end up being a bust.

I say that knowing full well that nearly every prediction I’ve made for Wings’ prospects has been dead wrong, and I’m hoping to continue the streak.

Posted by awould on 07/15/13 at 05:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I think Smith will end up being a bust.

Posted by awould on 07/15/13 at 05:01 PM ET

Stick with what you know. cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/15/13 at 05:23 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I thought he’d get 1.75M per year.

I expected Kindl to make more given the fact he’d played for the Wings in the 2009-10 season, is more of a veteran, and had a very good playoffs to follow up on a solid season.

But Smith might end up making much more than Kindl 2 years from now. The cap will surely be higher than it is now. Wouldn’t be surprised with two expansion franchises in Quebec and Seattle (balancing any talk of realignment other than a Florida division shuffle) putting more pressure to pay d-men top dollar in the game.

It also makes it much less likely the Wings will move Smith as part of a package to acquire a top 2 d-man. With Ericsson’s pending UFA next summer (along with Quincey’s)—it’s something that Smith must have considered.

Posted by d ca on 07/15/13 at 05:52 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Got to hand it to Holland:

D-men make up 7 roster spots (out of 23 total) for 30% of the team. Yet, he’s got them taking up only 27% of the cap. This should allow him to move some forwards pair them with Ericsson or Quincey and get a top 2 d-man back.

(ps should have put down that RFA’s have absolutely no bargaining power—especially one going to free agency that cough up pucks and make rookie mistakes. That said I like Smith, I just think he needed to see more games at the NHL level prior to last year as he was a top prospect for seemingly 4 years).

Posted by d ca on 07/15/13 at 05:58 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Good contract, no matter what I think of Smith.  This will give him the time to prove he’s not a head case, and not be a burden to the team financially while doing it.

Although, thats a pretty attractive contract to include in a trade a for a top 4 dman if one were to magically become available.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/15/13 at 06:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Laran on 07/15/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Try hockeydb.com or even Wikipedia.  It’s better than just making numbers up.  We already have someone around here who makes stats and data up.

Ericsson’s UFA status is because he came in so “late”.  He’s like Franzen, he was considerably “overaged” when he was drafted.  Age has an efefct on UFA/RFA status.

It’s amazing how many of you now say “Kindl had a good season”.  No he didn’t, he had a decent enough playoffs but was pretty much a trainwreck in the season.  How many of you guys were crying for him to be benched or traded during the regular season?  Seriously, perspective people.  Yeesh.

It’s a stupid-cheap contract.  You want some perspective?  Seth Jones, having never played a single NHL or even Pro game, has a cap hit of $3.75m.  TOI for NHL or AHL, or even ECHL?  00:00.

Smith has reg. season, playoff, and AHL experience.  $3m/yr would not have been an unreasonable demand I guess.

Posted by Primis on 07/15/13 at 06:54 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I think Smith will end up being a bust.

Taking one for the team. Way to go, awoud. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/15/13 at 07:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Error prone at times for sure, but moving Coli on along and signing Smith for 2 is a great franchise move.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/15/13 at 08:01 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/15/13 at 06:54 PM ET

Capgeek tells the following:

Ericsson had 163 regular season games and 45!!! playoff games under his belt, before he got his 3,2 mio. contract

Kindl had 147 regular season games and 14 playoff games, before he got his 2,4 mio contract.

Smith until today has exactly 48 regular season games and 14 playoff games. In my eyes Smith went for salary arbitration to get his 1.250.000 USD instead of 850-900k what Erircsson and Kindl earned when they were at his development stage.

Summarizing all that, I have no clue how you believe he could have gotten 3 mill…..

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 07/15/13 at 08:43 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Smith was a RFA. There was no way he was getting 3M per. Relatively he had a very “rookie” year (minus missing his first month). His d partners particularly Quincey covered for him on multiple occasions. Anyone thinking that Smith deserved more than Kindl doesn’t understand how RFA works.

PS Kindl had a solid season…don’t even bother listening to the nonsense saying otherwise.

Anyone shocked by the fact a top 5 draft pick getting a higher EL contract than a end of the 1st round coming off his rookie season really doesn’t understand the game…or at least the business side of it. Think of it this way-if that helps: No one was talking of Kindl, Smith, Fischer, etc skipping the AHL and making the roster out of camp…that’s why the contracts aren’t comparable.

Posted by d ca on 07/15/13 at 09:05 PM ET

awould's avatar

I honestly thought Smith would get about $1.5MM so I’m pleased w/ the deal. The only way it could have been better is if it were for 3 years.

Posted by awould on 07/15/13 at 09:26 PM ET