The Malik Report

Franzen May Be Ready By Tuesday

Also, from an earlier Khan tweet,

Franzen said he's not feeling any better, wouldn't elaborate on whether he's sick or injured and didn't want to comment further.

Also it is my understanding Samuelsson is in the lineup tonight.

added 1:38pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Asked if he’s sick or injured (club is calling it an upper-body injury), Franzen said, “I don’t know.’’

Then he walked away, not wanting to comment further.

Defenseman Brendan Smith skated today for the first time since injuring his shoulder Saturday in Edmonton and said he felt good.

“A lot better; I guess day-by-day it’s going to keep getting better,’’ Smith said. “I was able to pass, shoot and do everything today. It’s obviously a good sign.’’

Smith said he expects to be available for Tuesday’s game against Winnipeg, when he’s eligible to come off of short-term injured reserve.

The only lineup change for the Red Wings has Mikael Samuelsson in for Jordin Tootoo...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chip4Pips's avatar

They are going to end up eating a significant chunk of that contract if they want someone to do them a favor and open up a roster spot. Only Eaves may be dealable, and even that’s debatable.

Posted by Chip4Pips on 11/07/13 at 01:36 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The Franzen injury has me a bit worried.  Hoping it’s not his back.  Or his head - I’m not sure if he took a shot to the head in the last game he played though.  I could be wrong, but I’m guessing he isn’t simply “sick”.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/07/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 11/07/13 at 01:42 PM ET

I’m worried too.  We need him healthy so he can be traded or bought out in the off-season.

Posted by Garth on 11/07/13 at 01:55 PM ET

If he was simply sick, they would just say he is sick.

Posted by George0211 on 11/07/13 at 01:56 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It would be a better sign if he had said, “I was able to pass to my own teammates, consistently shoot the puck within a foot of the goal, and do everything DK does defensively.” But baby steps is all we expect, I guess.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/07/13 at 02:22 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Then he walked away, not wanting to comment further.

Sounds like diaper rash.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/07/13 at 02:43 PM ET

awould's avatar

Sounds like diaper rash.

My 1 year old gets some bad diaper rash occasionally, and we get him this prescription stuff that cost $50 a jar and he’s right as rain within a day or two. Sure, $50 a jar is expensive, right?

BUT HE’S NOT A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR HOCKEY PLAYER!!!

Illitch needs to splurge on some Cholestyramine for Franzen!! And maybe a pacifier for Smith.

Posted by awould on 11/07/13 at 03:32 PM ET

Why Sammy in over Eaves again?

Posted by Uncle Rico on 11/07/13 at 04:02 PM ET

Why Sammy in over Eaves again?

Trade bait? Hey, look he shoots the puck. Just don’t mind that he misses the net 9 times out of 10.

Posted by AZWinger on 11/07/13 at 04:16 PM ET

Why Sammy in over Eaves again?

Because it’s counterproductive to stick with the same lines for more than half of a period. Duh.

Posted by godblender on 11/07/13 at 05:29 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

So why the secrecy over Franzen’s injury/sickness?  I personally don’t care which it is but am curious why we get details on everyone else but him?  Why is he treated different by the organaztion?

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 11/08/13 at 10:28 AM ET