The Malik Report

Four reasons to support Commodore 64

Update 8:53 PM: Deadspin likes the idea, too: New Red Wings defenseman Mike Commodore suggested that he’s open to honoring a 1980’s relic of computer technology by wearing #64 with Detroit, and while younger Wings fans may not remember the clunky computer whose “blue screen” did not mean that your computer was about to crash, Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski’s starting a very formal public campaign to ask Commodore to don #64, offering at least four reasons why Commodore should do so:

1. The chance to make a pop culture reference on the back of one’s sweater doesn’t come around very often. It’s been roughly eight years since we saw “Heinze 57” skating around.

2. The Red Wings have never had a No. 64, nor have they had a player wear a number in the 60s.

3. Look at the list of all-time No. 64s. Unless Jamie McGinn(notes) or Nikita Nikitin(notes) have masterful careers, Commodore would be the best player to ever wear No. 64, with due respect to Jason Bonsignore and Sven Butenschon. And how many guys can say they’re the all-time best at a certain sweater number besides Ales Hemsky?

4. Finally, just to push the puck over the goal line: Puck Daddy will donate $64 to Mike Commodore’s favorite charity should he wear No. 64 next season with the Wings. If you’ve like to make a similar pledge, email us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and we’ll pass it along to Commodore.

I hope it happens.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

John's avatar

This is the best idea I have ever heard anyone have, ever.  I love it.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/07/11 at 01:25 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I love the idea of Commodore wearing #64 (for the Griffins - I hope he doesn’t make the squad).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/07/11 at 01:41 PM ET

I’m sorry but this is just awesome.  He’s gotta do it.

Posted by Geno71 on 07/07/11 at 01:43 PM ET

I think 64 is also the number of mistakes he’ll make per game

Posted by Mormerod on 07/07/11 at 01:49 PM ET

I think 64 is also the number of mistakes he’ll make per game

I think 64 is the number of crows you will be eating…

Posted by Garth on 07/07/11 at 01:59 PM ET

Alan's avatar

As an old-school geek (I grew up playing games on my TI-99/4A and Commodore computers), I love this idea!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/07/11 at 02:07 PM ET

I made note of the 64 in a post I did after he was signed - good to see he’s considering it.  Was told fans asked him to do it with Columbus and he wasn’t interested… we’ll see…. I’d get a jersey-shirt

Posted by Monica McAlister from Michigan on 07/07/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Fantastic. Even if he doesn’t pan out in Detroit, at least the man has a sense of humor.

I grew up playing games on my TI-99/4A

That’s awesome, same here. Hardly any one else I’ve talked to has even heard of the things. Love me some Parsec.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/07/11 at 02:18 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

My first computer was a C-128 with a tape drive and then eventually a floppy drive!

comma 8 comma 1

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/07/11 at 02:24 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I would say a lot of players….Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Gordie Howe and Sergei Fedorov come to mind right off the bat….I would say any player in the hall of fame is the best player with his number.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/07/11 at 02:25 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Amateurs.  My first computer was an Apple IIe, but I moved on quickly from that to various IBMs and then to Sun-3s and SPARCStations.  None of which would fit with Mike Commodore, but I like his line of thinking.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/07/11 at 02:54 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Not only do I still have it, but I still have everything it came with. Power cords, cartridges, and even the freakin’ Speech Synthesizer.

Somewhere around here, I’ve got an old Atari 2600 with real wood trim. Later versions came with a wood grain sticker instead (cheaper).

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/07/11 at 02:56 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

My cousins who lived in Lincoln Park had a C64, and holy moly did I waste hours playing Baseball, Boulder Dash, and Paperboy on that thing.  It was a blast.

We had an Atari 520ST at home instead.  Also a great gaming computer.  Anyone remember Goldrunner??

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 07/07/11 at 03:23 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/07/11 at 01:54 PM ET

Tandy.  16K.  Bought at Radio Shack for an obscene amount of money by my father when I was very, very young.

As stated in a previous thread, I love this idea.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 07/07/11 at 03:30 PM ET

I’m so alone.  Yes, I’ve heard of the Commodore 64 and the Atari machines but our family got the Magnavox Odyssey console with the pseudo space agey no key keyboard…thing.

:sadface:

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/07/11 at 03:30 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

and the number reason to have mike commodore is this commerative photo he took after finding out he came to the wings!

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 07/07/11 at 03:35 PM ET

with due respect to Jason Bonsignore

This may be the first time those particular words have been strung together.

Posted by tj77 from USA on 07/07/11 at 03:47 PM ET

David Lee's avatar

64 will be the number of times per game you scream “dammit, Commie, Just play hockey!”  I know from his days as a Hurricane.

And don’t let it get lost in the shuffle that CommodoreUSA is re-introducing the c-64: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

the bare-bones model is $250.  The mac daddy version with 4Gb ram and a 1Tb hard drive, blu ray and wi-fi compatibility is $900.  It looks just like the original.

Posted by David Lee from Greensboro, NC on 07/07/11 at 03:51 PM ET

This is an awesome idea! Full support.

I have 2 Commodore 64 Golds in immaculate shape still in box, should anyone want to purchase them!  wink

Posted by Karen Eliot on 07/07/11 at 03:54 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by David Lee from Greensboro, NC on 07/07/11 at 02:51 PM ET

Fully believe and expect that .. probably why we’re talking about his jersey number, and now what he’ll realistically contribute day in and day out on the ice.

Posted by SK77 on 07/07/11 at 04:11 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

As much as I love Gordie Howe, it is arguable he is not the best player to wear #9. I personally think he was, but lots of Habs fans would disagree. I’d add Lindsay’s #7 to that list, and Orr’s #4.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/07/11 at 06:19 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I believe the question was both rhetorical and facetious, however, for starters and In no particular order:

Nicklas Lidstrom
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Gordie Howe
Steve Yzerman
Ray Bourque
Patrick Roy
Sergei Federov
Ted Lindsay
Bobby Orr

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/07/11 at 06:49 PM ET

Every number from 0-99 has been used in the NHL by at least one player, as well as 00. So I would say that exactly 101 players (living or dead) can claim to be the all-time best at a certain sweater number.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 07/07/11 at 06:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Fedorov.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/07/11 at 06:54 PM ET

Sunday's avatar

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 07/07/11 at 02:35 PM ET

He said the photo was taken before he was traded to Ottawa, which was in 2007u.

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 07/07/11 at 07:17 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

As an old computer dork, all I can say is, “awesome.”

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/07/11 at 11:48 PM ET

Posted by David Lee from Greensboro, NC on 07/07/11 at 02:51 PM ET

Jeebus, a 1TB hard drive.  That thing’s gonna be so damn fast…

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/07/11 at 11:49 PM ET