The Malik Report

Four More Points For Anthony Mantha

via the CP at NHL.com,

Anthony Mantha scored two goals and added two assists as the Val'd-Or Foreurs crushed the host Cape Breton Screaming Eagles 7-3 on Sunday in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League play.

Mantha, a prospect of the Detroit Red Wings, leads the QMJHL in scoring with 18 goals and 33 points in 12 contests.

Plus, an interview Mantha did yesterday after being named player of the week in the CHL. Best quote of the interview was Mantha saying he learned some of the little things when he played one pre-season game with the Wings. He picked up "how they use their ass to protect the puck".

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

stonehands-78's avatar

our future is bright

... very bright

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/20/13 at 09:10 PM ET

Primis's avatar

When was the last time the Wings had a truly big-time major junior scorer they themselves drafted?

I remember people flipping for McGrath his last year in juniors because of his numbers (which were like 30G and mostly assists).  Zack Torquato put up decent enough numbers too IMO and the Wings didn’t even bother to retain him.  Most of the Wings’ draftees from major junior end up being guys that score decently but not big, or are just plain two-way guys.

I looked through hockeydb and… Marty Lapointe and Keith Primeau were the last two Wings draftees I found that scored goals at any comparable kind of rate.  Lapointe broke 40G twice with Laval.  Primeau’s final season in Niagara Falls was 57G/127PTS.

Before that, Yzerman put up a 40+G/90+PTS season w/ Peterborough in 82-83.
Adam Graves had a 45G/100PTS season with the Compuware Spitfires.

Posted by Primis on 10/20/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Darren Helm had 41 goals for Medicine Hat in 05-06.

Posted by Garth on 10/21/13 at 12:30 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Darren Helm had 41 goals for Medicine Hat in 05-06.

Posted by Garth on 10/21/13 at 12:30 AM ET

Aye, that he did.  I missed that one because I wouldn’t have expected it from him I guess.

Still, none of them anything like a clip like Mantha’s on though.  And out of morbid curiousity I checked the CHL record books and holy God, the 1980’s really screwed up numbers and records there too it seems.  When Ray freaking Ferraro is potting 108 in a season…

Posted by Primis on 10/21/13 at 12:52 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Going way back, McCarty had 127 pts including 55 goals for Belleville and Lapointe had 44 goals, 98 pts with Laval.

So you really don’t know what much about certain players until they turn pro.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/21/13 at 09:14 AM ET