The Malik Report

Former Wing Brad Stuart officially, officially signs with San Jose

The deal was “all but done” almost four days ago, and tonight, Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports that Brad Stuart is officially, officially a San Jose Shark:

The Sharks have agreed to terms on a three-year deal with defenseman Brad Stuart, Sharks GM Doug Wilson exclusively told CSNCalifornia.com. Terms were not disclosed but reports say the deal is worth $3.6 million per year.

Stuart, 32, was acquired by the Sharks from the Red Wings on June 10 for Andrew Murray and a conditional seventh round draft pick in 2014. The pick will be transfered to the Red Wings when the deal becomes official.

“We acquired his rights, and he certainly fits how we want to play and what we’re looking for on our hockey team,” Wilson said on Monday.

Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, a former assistant coach with the Red Wings, is very familiar with Stuart.

Wilson said: “To get a left-shot guy that’s a physical player like him, that we know and plays the right way, is something that we needed. I think it fits in pretty well.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Game on.  House of Stuart is dead to me.. at least until he retires or comes back wink

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/22/12 at 01:10 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I can’t wait for the first time he coughs up the puck at the blue line and Helm is right there on the PK.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/22/12 at 01:55 AM ET

I wonder if Scotty Bowman would have pushed to trade Stuart prior to last season’s trade deadline.  I mean, I heard Scotty was ruthless.  I know I would quietly done so.  Letting a player of Stuart’s caliber walk with zero in return = tuff.  He won a cup here.  Business is never personal.

Posted by beelza on 06/22/12 at 02:47 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Please don’t make me finish that thought. cheese

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 03:10 AM ET

Business is never personal.

The reality is that Detroit wasn’t going to get anything but worse if they traded Stuart for a pick.

Posted by Garth on 06/22/12 at 10:23 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Please don’t make me finish that thought.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 02:10 AM ET

Puck sails wide of the net….  There.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/22/12 at 11:00 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/22/12 at 09:23 AM ET

At the time the Wings were one of the best teams in the NHL with a legitimate shot at a long playoff run.  Trading Stuart would have been ridiculous.  A franchise is lucky to get one Stuart out of 20 draft picks.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/22/12 at 11:04 AM ET