The Malik Report

Former Red Wing forward Sergei Fedorov offiially named CSKA Moscow’s GM

For the record, CSKA Moscow’s website is confirming that their Board of Directors met yesterday, and have appointed newly-retired Red Wing Sergei Fedorov the club’s general manager.

As stated a few days ago, Fedorov’s retirement and the questions as to whether his number should be retired by the Red Wings…aren’t black and white, let’s put it that way.\

Update: Fedorov is confirming the news to Sport-Express.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I’d rather see Drapers, Homers, and Osgoods retired before Federovs went up. Now don’t get me wrong, he had a big part in the cups he was here for, but the way he left, left a sour taste in my mouth at least.

Posted by T on 05/16/12 at 03:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I have the opinion that it’s not a sure thing that he will be a HOF either.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/16/12 at 03:47 PM ET

I was once bitter towards Federov too, but we have to let it go.

The kid wanted to be “the #1 guy” on a team, and that wasn’t going to happen with Yzerman around. So he left and his career went south. It sucked for him worst than it did for the Wings or fans IMHO.

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/16/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

#91 will never hang from the Wings’ rafters. INHO

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/16/12 at 04:40 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I meant IMHO. Stupid fat fingers

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/16/12 at 04:40 PM ET

More than anything, it never ceases to amaze me how many Red Wings still cannot spell Fedorov.

Posted by Josh from Warren on 05/16/12 at 04:54 PM ET

Posted by Josh from Warren on 05/16/12 at 02:54 PM ET

Well, hockey players are athletes, not scholars.

Posted by Garth on 05/16/12 at 05:20 PM ET

*Red Wings fans

I guess we all have fat fingers today..

Posted by Josh from Warren on 05/16/12 at 05:27 PM ET

Ha, it’s been so long since I spelled his name that I forgot it was an “o” not an “e” On a side note, how about that Nic Lindstrom?

Anyways I wasn’t saying he should have his number hung, just that some people should drop the FedOrov hate, and remember him for how he helped us instead of how he slighted us.

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/16/12 at 05:53 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/16/12 at 03:53 PM ET

No! And you can’t make me! Hahaha…..

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/16/12 at 06:11 PM ET

Personally I’m damn glad that I got to watch this guy play in Detroit. He was and is one of the most gifted players I’ve seen play the game. But his jersey doesn’t belong up top at the Joe.

Posted by godblender on 05/16/12 at 07:21 PM ET

The Wings need to make sure they don’t cheapen the retired jersey #‘s hanging from the rafters like the Pistons have done (Mr. 00.7 was a good player, an All-Star type player, but his name shouldn’t be in the rafters. It’s shouldn’t have even been an argument unlike those for the defensive MVPs that you can say yeah okay I understand they were the best in the league at what they did.)

But putting players #‘s up like Holmstrom and Draper would do just that (Osgood is different in that he has a special case where it’s the position he played and the fact he’s a borderline HOF player.). I think a ring of fame around the new arena (similar to what other franchises have would be more appropriate).

In fact each of those players would have less of a case than Larry Aurie to have their jersey hung from the rafters (Larry Aurie had his #6 retired in 1938). Illitch has refused to hang it from the rafters and no one knows why (however, the number has been officially retired for every year since 1938 except the ‘01 season when Illitch ordered it back).

Fedorov was that MVP type player that is probably not going to get retired due to issues with ownership and management rather than his play on the ice. He will be this generation’s Larry Aurie.  But make no mistake: his jersey deserves to hang.

He played 12.5 seasons in Detroit (I say .5 because of his contract holdout season).  He’s got 3 Stanley Cup rings, the Hart, a Pearson, and two Selke’s. He’s in Detroit’s top five in almost all offensive categories. But the thing that stands above all other accomplishments (okay well maybe not compared to “dating” a 14 year old Anna Kournikova) was that he literally risked his life to play for the Red Wings by defecting.

Posted by dca from in Mich on 05/16/12 at 08:04 PM ET

So borderline HOF players should all have their jerseys retired?  Retiring a jersey is, and should be, WAY more exclusive than the HOF.  I can see Lidstrom’s jersey being retired because he’s the best defenseman of his generation (at least).  I’m not sure I can see any current or recent Red Wing worthy of having his jersey retired.

Posted by Garth on 05/16/12 at 09:17 PM ET