The Malik Report

Former Red Wing Darren McCarty takes out PPO’s against former friends

According to the Detroit News’s Mike Martindale, former Red Wings forward and recovering alcoholic Darren McCarty has taken out personal protection orders against four former friends who Darren and his wife Sheryl, accuse of harassing and stalking McCarty:

The McCartys accuse the four of trying to get the couple fired from their jobs, threatening both through text messages and phone calls, posting malicious comments on McCarty’s work and appearance websites, and threatening violence against them. Oakland Circuit Judge Mary Ellen Brennan granted the protection orders on May 22 against Tonya Juhl, 37, and Kimberley Mitchell, 38, both of Clawson; Anne Marie Samulski, 22, of Royal Oak; and Louis Barbato, 40, of Shelby Township.

The orders, good for a year, bar Juhl, Mitchell, Samulski and Barbato from approaching, following or contacting the McCartys or going to their home or workplaces. McCarty works for the Detroit Red Wings Alumni Association, and worked in the past year for a Detroit pawn shop; his wife is a nurse at Beaumont Hospital.

“All we want is to be left alone,” McCarty said in an interview. “I ignored some of the things they were doing and was willing to let it go, until they started threatening my wife and me. Death threats. They don’t like me because I’m not running around with them anymore, and they don’t like her because we got married and just want to get on with our lives.”

Continued, and the details include confirmation that the Wings made sure McCarty wasn’t abusing drugs or alcohol during his second stint with the team, as well as an admission that the Wings became quite concerned when rumors of a serious relapse (not surprisingly, McCarty did relapse after he retired) were spreading recently:

“Darren works with the Ilitch organization and Red Wing alumni, including making personal appearances, and they have all been wonderful — we can’t say enough about how they have stuck by him and tried to help him,” Sheryl McCarty said. “But at one point, he had to sit down with (general manager) Ken Holland and explain what was happening, the rumors these people were spreading and how he was clean.”
...
Sheryl McCarty said she keeps her husband on vitamins and protein shakes. She has two children, and he has four from prior relationships. “We have a real Brady Bunch going,” she said. “My job is to keep him healthy and keep the crazies away.”

McCarty, meanwhile, said he enjoys being home rather than closing bars and is writing a book about his life on and off the ice.

“I guess it’s a price of celebrity,” he said.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

one of my favorite red wings players of all time

Posted by awould on 06/06/12 at 03:36 AM ET

Wouldn’t be shocked if they found CTE with him some day…

Posted by RyanVM on 06/06/12 at 04:15 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

As I said with a friend on Twitter, people like McCarty are eventually going to be repeat customers of the courts for the rest of their lives, and I would rather hear that he’s doing his best to stay clean and sober than that he’s in court for any other reason.

He’s got four kids, two ex-wise, that ugly bankruptcy and continues to battle drug addiction and alcoholism. I’m not going to suggest that he’s a saint, but I wish him the best and then some.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/06/12 at 04:34 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I would love to read his book.  Hope he sticks with that.  Love the guy and give him a lot of credit for trying to keep straight.  His wife sounds like a special lady.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/06/12 at 11:25 AM ET

rrasco's avatar

I think it’s apparent he’s one of my all-time favs too.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 06/06/12 at 12:26 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

One of my favorite hockey moments was going to the Q in Cleveland to see McCarty in a Griffins sweater taking on the Lake Erie Monsters and beginning to earn his way back to the Red Wings.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/06/12 at 01:00 PM ET

whateverman's avatar

I see McCarty all over the place… Met him, Sheryl and Griffin at Hamlin Pub in Chesterfield for the “official Red Wings viewing party” thing. Then I saw him again recently at the Trailer Park Boys show in Dearborn. I knew that he was a recovering alcoholic. He was definitely drinking at Hamlin and seemed a little tipsy at TPB.

I personally believe in rational recovery and not strictly abstinence and I really hope he does too and is not having a full blown relapse. He’s such a cool dude. He was very gracious and polite both times we approached him. He remembered us at TPB from Hamlin and told me “I like your style.” I definitely was an honor to shake the hand of the man who sealed the cup for us in 97.

Posted by whateverman on 06/06/12 at 02:56 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

He was always my favorite Red Wing, and I wish him and his family the best.  Can’t wait for the book!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/06/12 at 04:22 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

i wonder if that’s the same Lou Barbato i went to high school with. The age is right. Dude was a prick.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/06/12 at 06:06 PM ET