The Malik Report

Foofah.* Red Wings recall Pearce for MacDonald (back), send Lidstrom back to Detroit

Updated 3x at 6:07 PM w/ confirmation of Pearce’s recall: Thought MLive’s Ansar Khan’s report about Nicklas Lidstrom being shut down for the weekend was bad? Well it’s not exactly shocking news that the Free Press’s Helene St. James reports that Lidstrom will head back to Detroit, but here comes the crapola: Joey MacDonald tweaked his back, sooo…per St. James...

While the rest of the team flew from Los Angeles to San Jose, where they play Saturday, Lidstrom flew back to Detroit. Goaltender Jordan Pearce flew in the other direction, called up to serve as the team’s backup while Joey MacDonald recovers from back spasms suffered in Wednesday’s 4-0 loss at Anaheim. Lidstrom has missed a career-high eight straight games since suffering a bone bruise when he was hit on the outside of his right ankle by a puck Feb. 25 against the Colorado Avalanche.

“We’re discouraged and frustrated,” general manager Ken Holland told the Free Press. “We thought he’d be back playing by now. He had a hard time putting his foot in the boot yesterday, so we decided to bring him home. He’ll be reassessed Monday morning.”

Holland said Pavel Datsyuk could return as soon as Saturday; it’s pretty much up to the star forward to tell the Wings when he’s ready to come back after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery Feb. 21.

The latest to get hurt is MacDonald.

“He tweaked or pulled something last night,” Holland said. “We don’t think it’s serious, but he won’t be on the bench Saturday.”

I want to state very seriously, however, that the Detroit News’s Gregg Krupa is taking things a little too far:

nicklas lidstrom returns to detroit after he is told no skating for 3 to 4 days on bad ankle. likely to miss another week, at least.

Lidstrom could return as soon as Wednesday against the Rangers if he feels OK on Monday, and we DO NOT KNOW how long the bone bruise will take to heal. Lidstrom doesn’t know. When he can stand its discomfort when he pushes off, he will return, and bone bruises do not have timelines for healing. Panicking makes no sense at this point because the news is already bad enough.

Update: As I posted this, Krupa filed his report...

Nicklas Lidstrom will return to Detroit on Thursday, two days ahead of the team, and the Red Wings said he will remain off the ice for three to four days to allow more time for the deep bone bruise in his right ankle to heal. That schedule would likely keep Lidstrom out of the lineup at least through the end of next week, given his need for some skating and practices.

“I think we’re all a little discouraged,” said Ken Holland, executive vice-president and general manager of the Red Wings. “Nick had the injury (Feb. 25) and the doctors felt it would be about two weeks. But it’s not healing as quickly as we felt or hoped.”

Piet van Zant, the Red Wings’ trainer, told Lidstrom Wednesday in Anaheim that some days of complete rest were in order, after Lidstrom skated for five minutes on both Monday and Tuesday and then came of the ice after about three minutes on Wednesday, saying it was “more sore.”

With the Wings off Thursday, practicing Friday, and playing the Sharks Saturday before returning home, the decision was made to allow Lidstrom four days for more healing.nLidstrom was to return to Detroit on Thursday ahead of the team, but Holland said that is not to allow for more tests. Previous exams determined there is no fracture, despite the prolonged pain.

“The doctors feel pretty comfortable it is healing,” Holland said. “It’s just not healing as quickly as hoped or expected.”

Lidstrom told Expressen’s Gunnar Nordstrom that he’s been able to keep in shape, so one or two practices would do the trick.

Update #2: For the hell of it, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun held a chat with readers this afternoon, and offered a simple “no” when asked if the Wings would catch the Blues;

• And the Grand Rapids Griffins’ “Griffiti” magazine published for March, and it includes articles about Fabian Brunnstrom (with an accompanying YouTube interview), Chris Minard (ditto on the YouTube front), two “Sled Wings” and the Griffins’ members who helped the Wings win 23 straight home games.

*Consider “foofah’ to be a made-up swear word thanks to playing too much of The Sims 3.

Update #3: MLive’s Ansar Khan confirms Pearce’s recall:

Detroit Red Wings goaltender Joey MacDonald experienced some back spams following Wednesday’s 4-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks, prompting the club to recall Jordan Pearce from the Grand Rapids Griffins.

General manager Ken Holland said MacDonald will stay with the team but Pearce will dress as Jimmy Howard’s backup Saturday in San Jose.

“It appears to be (day-to-day),’’ Holland said. “Hopefully, he’ll get better by Monday. If not, we’ll be home and have it looked it.’‘

Update #3.5: The Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness also confirms all of the aforementioned info.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Who was it who said we’d lose every game on this road trip????
Whoever it was… you’re getting whatcha asked for.  sick

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/12 at 07:43 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

This is where you can’t escape father time. TPH is a superb athlete. He treats his body as a temple and he’s barely lost half a step of speed over the years. But over-forty bodies just don’t heal as fast as twenty something bodies, no matter how much “treatment” one gets. Just ask those of us over forty.

From George’s write-up yesterday, it sounds like TPH does more damage every time he tries to put the boot on. I won’t be surprised if he’s out until the playoffs begin.

Hopefully, Pavs is back on Saturday against the chum and he’ll remind his mates how to score foals.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/12 at 08:12 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

I bet Krupa is right and #5 is out for at least one more week… If he can’t skate forward (never mind turns or body contact) without aggravating his injury, they will not rush him back, even if that means starting the PO in Nashville… My guess is that he will come back with 5-6 games left from the season…

Posted by alukacs on 03/15/12 at 08:17 PM ET

MOWingsfan19 :

I am the guilty one..and trust me…I take no pleasure in it…it’s F*** depressing :(

Posted by Nathalie from MTL on 03/15/12 at 08:20 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Young or old, fit or flabby, built with bones of steel or prone to bruising everything…

Bone bruises heal on their own time scale. Aggravating the injury somewhat does not necessarily slow down the healing process. If Lidstrom was 14 instead of 41, he would still face the same, “When is this gonna heal? F*** if I know, says my doctor!” equation.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/15/12 at 08:24 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

They say Joey has back spasms, but I think his pain is a little lower than that. And it comes from being “bent over” by the play of the so-called “team” in front of him.

I don’t remember watching a Wings team in recent memory that plays with as little focus as this one. No one, except maybe the bottom line and Helm-Miller (minus the Horse’s Ass), seems to know what the hell their linemates are doing. It’s literally disgusting to watch.

And speaking of the Horse’s Ass, I’ve come to actually hate that lazy P.O.S.  He’s made an art form out of floating around on the ice until he finds a spot where no other player is and then just standing there. I watched him do it on back-to-back-to-back turns on the ice last night. – and that was in just the first period. It’s absolutely sickening.

Give me a team of Helms and Miller and Nyquists and Conners and Abdelkaders. I no longer have any use for the likes of Franzen and Cleary (and, yes, Bert too).

It’s 18 hours since last night’s fiasco and I’m still seething. Thank the gods I have another 54 hours before my blood pressure goes through the roof again.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/12 at 08:25 PM ET

And speaking of the Horse’s Ass, I’ve come to actually hate that lazy P.O.S.

Yep….and add Hudler for me. As ineffective as Franzen is, wait until the playoffs start and watch Hudler…he has all the makeup of a guy who can’t compete at the Stanley Cup playoff level. I’m sure he’ll be resigned, too. He’ll probably be given a raise.

Who was it who said we’d lose every game on this road trip????
Whoever it was… you’re getting whatcha asked for.

Me. Ready for my next bold prediction (like anyone cares)...the Wings won’t make it out of the first round.

Posted by godblender on 03/15/12 at 09:55 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Things really suck right now, but let’s not forget we’re still playing without our top forward, defenseman, and essentially goalie until he shakes the rust off.  Let’s not write this team off yet.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/15/12 at 10:32 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 03/15/12 at 06:25 PM ET

The kids poured their hearts (again) last night, but they were running around like crazy, doubling up on hits/checks getting themselves out of position (Miller, Abby, and Helm included…the three of them should know better).

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/15/12 at 10:53 PM ET

hiero4life's avatar

I’m feeling like last year all over again, and i fuching hated last year.  If this is what’s to come after TPH retires , I’ll put myself on the liver transplant list now.  The defense is maddening.  There really is no excuse for the Whiskey Dick pp that we have have seen lately.  When they play hard and lose I can take that, but when they don’t show up I can’t stand it.  Last year we couldn’t “Close” the deal, this month we haven’t even opened up the dam shop.

Losing to the mIGHTY dUCKS last night that way made me sick.

LGRW

Posted by hiero4life from anywhere i am on 03/15/12 at 10:57 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

George, doesn’t the fact that Lidstrom’s been mostly off the ice since this injury mean he’ll have to take some time to get back into game shape, after the bone bruise heals? I feel like it’s not entirely unreasonable to suggest he’ll miss a week or more on top of this weekend.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/12 at 10:57 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Nick told Expressen’s Gunnar Nordstrom that he’d been working out full-out off the ice, just as he told Ken Daniels and Larry Murphy, and he did repeat that he’d like to get a pair or maybe three practices in before he returns to get his legs under him, but it’s really up to his pain tolerance and the bruise itself to heal and let him get back on the ice. I’d say Wednesday is not unrealistic, but we’ll just have to see.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/16/12 at 01:10 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’d be surprised if Nashville is the first game he’s back.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/16/12 at 01:18 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, heiro, I’m afraid there are 19+ ahead of you at this point. smile

And as for the comments from God’s own blender (see, even God is driking these days), I’m afraid I don’t share your opinion about Happy. I’ve been pretty impressed with his willingness to take abuse in front of the net, push hard on the forecheck, and fight for the puck in the corners.

So maybe what this says is that we all see things a little bit differently. We all have our own opinions about who’s playing hard and who isn’t (as mrfluffy’s comments about Helm & Co. suggest). But I think the one thing we all can agree on is that this team isn’t playing as an effective unit right now.

And, to me, that all goes back to the coaches (Babs included). Messages are being sent (or not being sent). And the players seem to be ignoring all of them.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/16/12 at 01:52 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

Dont listen that much to Nordström he is basically an alcoholic with a fair shortage of correct facts in his reports, he actually stated in article that Detroit players won with Pittsburgh 2008….. So I would even touch anything thats been to close….

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 03/16/12 at 04:04 AM ET

Actually OLC, I completely agree with you on these points. Hudler actually has been one of the constants as far as hustle and “getting after it”. I just don’t feel that he is the kind of player who’ll make a difference at all come playoff time. He just can’t win the tough puck battles due to his lack of size/strength, and very often finds himself on the ice. Plus, he has one of the weakest shots I’ve ever seen.

I often wonder about who’s actually leading this team in the dressing room. I really can’t help but think that no one says much of anything and that the players just expect that they’ll right the ship eventually….because they’ll the Red Wings. The problem is that a four game slump in the postseason means you go the fu*k home. Someone needs to outright call this team out…players and coaches alike. Go public, I don’t care. Rustle some feathers, make people feel uncomfortable. It’s not like Holland is going to trade anyone away/ or Babcock is going to bench you for it.

Posted by godblender on 03/16/12 at 04:52 AM ET