The Malik Report

Fnerg

Not super news, gang. I’m getting a very late start and will have to head up to Traverse city either later tonight or tomorrow morning. I’m excited about going and raring to go mentally, but I’m still exhausted from UFA shenanigans and don’t have the energy to get on the road right away. I’m not bailing, not depressed, none of that stuff, but I just don’t have the juice to get on the road this afternoon. I’m very sorry. S*** happens.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

t$w$'s avatar

Anyways since you guys are such insolent worry warts about George’s ego and since George is apparently MIA today…

What kinda trades y’all proposing for Bobby Ryan?  Franzen Abdelkader and 2 picks?

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 06:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

^Trust me he will, and it will be on your dime…even though he doesnt have the juice right now maybe he can still drink.

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 05:27 PM ET

Thank you for proving my words.  If you follow George at all you would know he doesn’t drink.  And if he did… yes, it would be on our dime and we would applaud him for it.  This is my last response to you sir and I hope everyone will follow suit and put you on ignore.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 06:44 PM ET

t$w$'s avatar

aaaaaaand thank you for proving my words.  CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON? Go ahead and block me but this board is meant for HOCKEY talk. Not finger pointing…sorry.

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 06:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Not finger pointing…sorry.

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 05:47 PM ET

lmao, do you know what started this series of crap?

anyway, back to my question at the top, what is the issue Doan is waiting for to help decide whether to leave PHX or not?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/06/12 at 07:39 PM ET

All is good.

I really have no issue with people defending George. Go for it. Though I would prefer you do so by saying something positive about him rather than attacking me with your uneducated dribble.

The comment about George doing foreign language translations was a good one. That is something that sets him apart and is really useful. It gives him a little extra over Mlive etc.

I really do like George and I think he has a good thing going here. Unlike most of you I refuse to coddle him. George is a man he can take a hit. If he cant handle a TRUE negative comment he needs to stop being a pussy. Otherwise he should start writing children’s books. You guys coddle him like hes a child and tell me I am the one that is out of line. Come on.

George has a disease/illness whatever you want to call it hes not mentally disabled. Don’t talk down to me and assume I have no clue about depression.  He is too smart and too talented for you to baby him like this hence my posts. Disease/illness or not he is simply a normal person and I refuse to discredit him by being one of his apologists.

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 07:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 06:49 PM ET

That makes two on my list now.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 08:06 PM ET

solo16,

WTF man! You were being rude and can’t cowboy up to the fact that you were. So now, you are kissing ass,

“My other favorite part about George is that his posts come to my facebook and I can read them in bed on my phone. That is pretty awesome and special.”

insulting other people,

“attacking me with your uneducated dribble,”

and then saying George should just take your crap when you aren’t willing to take criticism from others for your own poor judgement. That’s so hypocritical. But, of course, rather than accepting my criticism of you, I bet you prove my point by attacking me rather than being the person you want the rest of us to be.

Please take your negativity over to Winging it in Motown where you will be with those who love to shake a finger but won’t walk the talk.

Posted by ben name from traverse city on 07/06/12 at 08:23 PM ET

What the heck, everyone else is chiming in, why not me.
When I donated, I wasn’t donating as much for his trip as much as my gratitude for everything (in other words, like this was a pay site). He also provides depth of analysis that I don’t see from the mainstream media. He’s also the hardest working/longest hours person in sports in general that I know of (and since I work about the same crazy hours, I can vouch for his working hours).
When he couldn’t go in the past, I think he offered to refund the money regardless.
Let me try a comparison. People criticize Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. Can they take criticism? Certainly. Should presidents get criticized? Certainly. Should a critic be ready to have their criticisms shot down by others even if the president is big enough to defend himself and take criticism? Certainly.
He certainly doesn’t want to be babied, but the man was out last year for a stretch because of his health. He’s not “disabled”, but he certainly has his struggles. He can handle negative comments, but if others feel the negative comments are unjust they have the right to fire back, especially if they feel they are unjust. I know another blogger who at times could match George, also at home due to her health, delivering quality stuff and putting in ridiculous hours at times. You could argue blogging has given a new way of employment for those who would otherwise have difficulty working in mainstream media, so to speak.
I have second thoughts about this rant, though, because the thing I voiced a few times this week (and George, if you check his tweets), is that the last thing we need as readers of George’s blog is to snipe at one another. We get enough from other teams’ fans as is. Can this all stop?

Oh, RWBIll, I’m assuming you already have this on Shane Doan:

Sorry for ranting.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/06/12 at 08:35 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Bugsy on 07/06/12 at 07:35 PM ET

You know, you seem like a level-headed, courteous and common sense kind of guy.  What’er you a socialist? LOL

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 08:44 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I have contributed in the past, contributed for this endeavor, and will continue to contribute in the future.

I don’t give half of two shits whether I read a single word from Traverse City. Didn’t give a shit last year. Won’t give a shit next year.

This has turned into a creepy thread, sitting here discussing our host like he isn’t in the room. I would encourage you all to cease and desist, as I intend to do.

Posted by dougie on 07/06/12 at 08:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I don’t know if I can go through what we went through the last three years not knowing where we’re going to be next year.’”

If Doan considers other teams, many factors would play into his decision, Bross said, including management, relationship with the players and the team’s chances of winning the Stanley Cup. Eight teams expressed interest in Doan when the free agency period opened on Sunday.

Thanks Bugsy, I hadn’t seen that.  If he does leave Detroit should be able to sell him especially with previous success with veterans.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/06/12 at 09:06 PM ET

You’re welcome, Bill.
Dougie, for what it’s worth, when I write, I’m assuming George IS reading what I write, but yes, I want that part of this thread to end now. Oops.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/06/12 at 09:11 PM ET

Oh, calquake. Thanks.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/06/12 at 09:12 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Bugsy on 07/06/12 at 07:35 PM ET

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 07:44 PM ET

Irony rocks!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/06/12 at 10:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

If he does leave, Detroit should be able to sell him especially with previous success with veterans.

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/06/12 at 08:06 PM ET

Because we all learned this week that the Detroit program still sells itself.

What was I thinking?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/06/12 at 11:17 PM ET

Well I am very open with my opinions good and bad.

I shared some of my good to go with the bad but I will share a bit more. If nothing else its a way to stress that I do appreciate George’s work and with recognition that he does care what his readers think.

George is the one stop shop for redwings news. He is a master aggregator of content. If it is out there George can and will find it. He is the ultimate deep digger.

George pens articles that are quite well written for a blogger—- or any writer—(professionally speaking as someone who writes for a living) with a passion only a true redwing fan could pen.  He is a fan through and through and his writing reflects as such.

Aside from being a fan he holds himself to the highest level of journalistic integrity. (He proudly lets his fandom cloud his judgement.) His articles are never slanderous and attempt to be positive.  This is why he has built a reputation in the community with national bloggers.

George is one of the few sports bloggers to really incorporate social media. His facebook and twitter are invaluable resources. It truly feels like the news is always at your fingertips.

With that I would conclude with a simple statement concluding my opinions in this thread: George I appreciate and respect you. I hope you keep working hard to reach your dreams and continue to push yourself to new heights. Thank you.

Posted by solo16 on 07/07/12 at 12:25 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 11:25 PM ET

Now, was that so hard? cheese  It’s all good ... let’s move on.

Posted by calquake on 07/07/12 at 12:40 AM ET

Consider this good news and/or bad news. No peeps out of George from Twitter in 16 hours. He might miss the beginning of the camp, but on the other hand, what if he drove up there Friday (assuming he’s sleeping still)?

Posted by Bugsy on 07/07/12 at 04:57 AM ET

This thread is reason #380 why I don’t like the internet.  I enjoyed that “tough love” stuff solo16.  Great job judging someone you’ve never met and don’t know.  At all.

George is re-printing stories, but I don’t come here to re-read them, I come for his commentary.  I have contributed to other trips and I will continue to do so because quite simply I get my money’s worth out of him.  If you haven’t contributed there’s really no reason to be a bitch about what you get for free.

Posted by ExiledinLA on 07/07/12 at 08:04 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I have never seen someone so desperate for approval and attention. Ridiculous.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/07/12 at 10:24 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I have never seen someone so desperate for approval and attention.

What did I ever do to you? LOL

Posted by calquake on 07/07/12 at 10:40 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

What did I ever do to you?

Posted by calquake on 07/07/12 at 09:40 AM ET

Bogarting that joint, my friend!

That is funny because I may be the only one who went through Mt. Pleasant in the 70s who never toked up.  I got plenty of second hand from a couple of my roommates from Wyandotte smile

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/07/12 at 12:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

That must explain the story about the strippers, the bottle of Mazola Oil and a gerbil named Fred. cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/07/12 at 01:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Fred was such a giver.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/07/12 at 06:02 PM ET

Anyone know if Sarah Lindenau of http://www.theleftwinglock.com is in Traverse City?

George, I realize I’m the nag about this all the time, and you don’t have to listen to me, but the reason I keep bugging you about getting some rest (and I talk from personal experience) is the body can only take so many late nights. I’m still hopeful you’ll make it up north (unless you’re up there now and going to surprise us—I haven’t seen a tweet either). However, if you can scale back to 80% in the future, and have a bit more balance, we’ll all understand and you might be able to have less personal power outages, so to speak (and if I see you try to return the money from this year to me, I’ll probably try to find a way to refuse the refund).

Please take care.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/07/12 at 08:41 PM ET

Looks like Lauren is there. Photos and the team rosters.

Would be great to see some of George’s fan player interviews.  Nothing like seeing his passion at work. Feel better George, get up there when you can (it will make you feel better).  Yes I am an ass and I am sorry.

Posted by solo16 on 07/07/12 at 10:24 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I am here. Don’t worry one bit about any sort of criticism—it was warranted.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/12 at 11:00 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by solo16 on 07/07/12 at 09:24 PM ET

I too am sorry and assume we just got off on the wrong foot.  Character is when you can admit to your shortcomings.  However t$w$ can go get jiggy with Fred for all I care. cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/07/12 at 11:00 PM ET

Calquake,  No worries. I did not really mind your comments. I thought they came from a good place.  Same with Bugsy, and Rondo. Need not worry about it. RWBill can hang out with Fred. Though no grudges.

Criticism is one thing not wanting to make someone feel like shit is another. I want George to feel great and be happy (hence my multiple posts). I just felt he needed a strong push, maybe I was right maybe I was wrong that’s up to George and it does not matter either way.

I’m excited because this is what journalism is all about. Go get em George. This camp is the highlight of his reporting. When else does he get the chance to do on scene reporting! Its exciting and something he should be proud of.

Posted by solo16 on 07/07/12 at 11:36 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Criticism is part of the job. And it is doubly part o the job when you are asking people to underwrite the costs of a trip. It’s my job to listen and to not listen too hard when I’m told that I’m a complete *#$%@& wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/12 at 11:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Who said you were a complete *#$%@?... I didn’t say you were a complete *#$%@... it’s outrageous…  it’s egregious… it’s preposterous! (My best Jackie Chiles impression)

Posted by calquake on 07/08/12 at 03:34 AM ET