The Malik Report

Fnerg

Not super news, gang. I’m getting a very late start and will have to head up to Traverse city either later tonight or tomorrow morning. I’m excited about going and raring to go mentally, but I’m still exhausted from UFA shenanigans and don’t have the energy to get on the road right away. I’m not bailing, not depressed, none of that stuff, but I just don’t have the juice to get on the road this afternoon. I’m very sorry. S*** happens.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Would rather have you there safely and raring to go than with no energy.  Still looking forward to your reports on how the Wing’s prospects are developing.  Thanks.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 07/06/12 at 01:49 PM ET

Then drink some orange juice and get some rest, big man.  Nothing to apologize for.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/12 at 01:50 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

Not a problem whatsoever. Turn the computer off. Get some sleep/rest/nap/whatever you need and head up there tomorrow. Simples.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 07/06/12 at 01:51 PM ET

hiero4life's avatar

George,

Get some REST before you drive.  Your health and safety are the only things that matter.

Posted by hiero4life from anywhere i am on 07/06/12 at 01:51 PM ET

Ask Mr. I to borrow the Jet.

Posted by JP on 07/06/12 at 02:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Dude…get some rest…watch some tubes…eat some crazy bread…and go up in the morning.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/06/12 at 02:15 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

G-Money, Dude, Get some shut-eye. For real.

We all appreciate your hard work! I know for sure, that you put more effort into keeping us informed on what’s going on with the team, then anyone I have ever seen! I’ve followed you for a good long while. I love your posts.

Don’t put your health at risk though.. You need to take care of the body to keep filling out heads with your words.

Rest up. And let us know what happens tomorrow. smile

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/06/12 at 02:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, my daughter raced back to Florida from the 4 nights in Rothbury Electric Forest Festival so she could be at work Wednesday to stack serious coin at the resort on a busy 4th of July, but was sick from fatigue and a summer cold so went right back home to go to bed.

That probably doesn’t apply at all, come to think of it.  Don’t accept a junkie’s bowl of crystal if you can’t review his health records first.

Take your time.  Makes no sense to get up there so fatigued you have to stay in bed.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/06/12 at 02:19 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Nothin’ happening in this heat anyways..rest up!

Posted by The Hurricane on 07/06/12 at 02:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So Does anyone know the Phoenix issue that Doan is evaluating?

Glendale city council agreed to pay the potential buyer of the Yotes roughly $15M a year for 20 years to run the HanJob.com arena (separate but related action to him buying the Yotes).  But to pay for it the sales tax in the city would climb to over 10%, so a couple of citizens are collecting signatures to table the council’s approval and put it before a general referendum in November?

That’s all I can get out of it, been too complicated to bother with.

Really, there are so many issues with that franchise little will be cleared up by Monday.  Offer Doan his current $4.5M each for 3 years, and tell him he can join Big Boy hockey while he’s still young enough and healthy.

This UFA way is better than one of the trades because we don’t have to give up what high end talent we have left.  Add to the team without having to subtract something.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/06/12 at 02:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

What everybody else said, George.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/06/12 at 02:55 PM ET

I am not saying you do not have a disease but stop using it as an excuse.  This is exactly why I did not contribute to your journey this year (though I have the last two). We all have problems find a way to manage them.  You are killing your own integrity by skipping camp and or going late. As a journalist your integrity is really all you have and you are setting this trip up to be full of excuses (like the last one).

Listen to some music while you drive and look at the sites. Then take a nap when you get there.

Sorry I did not post all fluffy and coddling like everyone else but its the truth. And if you want to make writing a permanent career you need to do it.

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 03:40 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 01:40 PM ET

Are you for real? Do you know what kind of hours George has put in over the last week? You don’t deserve to read the quality work he busts his ass to put out every single day you unappreciative little shit.

Camp doesn’t even actually begin until tomorrow anyway.

Posted by Rondo on 07/06/12 at 04:28 PM ET

THANK YOU SOLO16!!!!!!

My God. Why would anyone donate to youre cause after seeing that?? Unless you need hospitalization, get your ass up there. I’d be PISSED if i donated any coin to you.

Posted by T$W$ from Detroit on 07/06/12 at 04:43 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

I’d be PISSED if i donated any coin to you.

Except you didn’t, so your opinion is worth exactly…. nothing

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 07/06/12 at 04:46 PM ET

To each there own.  A lot of the last week was his own stupidity.  Staying up to post at 3 in the morning repeatedly? Besides most of us did the same thing all week trolling twitter for answers. I lost a solid week of work lol. That was my stupidity. The hours he put in were because he is a Redwing fan and nothing more.  I wish I could have the last week back for the same reason he probably does.

Most of what he posts could be done by a Googlebot with a “Red Wings” search.  He has a chance to do some real investigative journalism and hobnob with some management and he is coming up with excuses. Honestly if George’s plan is for this to be a hobby and nothing more than he is doing a fine job. If he wants a career out of this then he needs to step it up. George of all people probably realizes it.

Camp starts tomorrow early.  You do not think there are opportunities to interview people today as they arrive? Build relationships with management so he can get exclusives during the year? He also needs to get there so he gets a good night sleep to be ready to start camp early tomorrow. Do a good job and the sky is the limit.

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 04:49 PM ET

Posted by sjketcheson from Ottawa on 07/06/12 at 02:46 PM ET

George is a good guy. I like what he is trying to do. I sent him cash for the last two trips.

First: I was very happy and he did a great job.
Second: He bailed but I let him keep the money figured it is worth it to support a good guy who is working hard. Shit happens.
Third: Since the second he whines once a month and seems to be struggling with the responsibility.  I felt it was not appropriate to give him cash till he got his shit together. This is not really new and the above post shows he still hasn’t sorted things out yet. He needs to suck it up and overcome his challenge. He made a commitment to go so go. He can whine about how hard it was but at least overcome the challenge.

I would gladly support him again if he gets back on track.  I am somewhat torn. I realize that posting about the problem is a way for him to cope but name one time that posting about it has resulted in him saying, “well I cant let my readers down” and he goes and overcomes it?  He needs to find a way to overcome his limitations not hide behind them.

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 05:01 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

No, he did it for his readers. He did it so that smug assholes like you could sit there and do nothing but mindlessly click the refresh button on your twitter feed in hopes that he’d have new info from the effortless work that he does.

Training camp lasts seven days. There is plenty of time for him to “hobnob” and get the information everyone’s looking forward to. You’re really that irked about missing out on a review of today’s one hour on-ice workout?

If it’s so easy to find new Red Wings news then why don’t you hook up a googlebot and just get your info there. Kukla’s Korner won’t miss you, I promise.

Posted by Rondo on 07/06/12 at 05:05 PM ET

Don’t get me wrong.  I look to this blog (not just George’s) for hockey info especially in the last couple weeks.  But dude, let’s go George.  I appreciate the effort but if you want people to DONATE cash to you, I’d expect the full effort.  Isn’t staying up late, scouring blogs/new outlets, and goin on roadtrips PART of the job?

I’m not trying to be a hater but if you wanna be THE red wings guy then get on your horse bro.

Posted by t$w$ from DETROIT on 07/06/12 at 05:09 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I like how some people get off in their parents’ basements making fun of others…especially those who bust their asses for peanuts for all of our benefit.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/06/12 at 05:17 PM ET

calquake's avatar

JFC… All this guy does is ask for cash twice a year and some people have a problem with that.  You know what?  Don’t f@%$ing give, it’s your choice but shut your pie hole if you aren’t contributing.  I give every year because I consider George a terrific source for the things I want to read aboot the Wings.  If he whines a little bit every once in a while… so be it.  No one makes you read his stuff.

I am getting so sick of people telling others what they need to do when they haven’t walked a mile in their shoes.  I consider George the best of fake internet friends grin  You and your ilk?  Not so much.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 05:42 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the crass, juvenile minds of some people is saddening.  clueless, contribute nothing, and complain when someone else who works his ass off to spoon feed them information takes a couple hours to rest.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/06/12 at 05:48 PM ET

woah woah woah y’all.

Nobody ever made fun of anybody.  Everybody take a Xanax and chill.  i was simply stating that I think it’s kinda bologna that Jorge didn’t go on his trip yet and I think people were expecting him to do that.  Especially people who PAID for his trip.

Don’t hate.  And don’t name call either.  It’s immature.

Posted by t$w$ from DETROIT on 07/06/12 at 06:02 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Most of what he posts could be done by a Googlebot with a “Red Wings” search

So, what you’re saying is that you have no comprehension of what he does, don’t really read his posts, and have no respect for his work.  Why are you here, let alone commenting?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/06/12 at 06:10 PM ET

Quick notes:

ESPN rumor section talks about wings writing off Brunnstrom.

Posted by neffernin on 07/06/12 at 06:12 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Don’t hate.  And don’t name call either.  It’s immature.

Posted by t$w$ from DETROIT on 07/06/12 at 04:02 PM ET

And since you didn’t donate, by what right do you get to speak for those who did donate?  Especially when those who did donate are in this thread very vocally supporting him?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/06/12 at 06:14 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Don’t hate.  And don’t name call either.  It’s immature.

Show me where I called you a name.  I said “some people”.  If that hits too close to home… oh well.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 06:16 PM ET

The only people looking like they a child living in a basement are those hostilely attacking my position.  If you want to support George say nice things about him.  As many did.  It does very little to discredit my position by laying a personal attack on me.  Point is my position was well thought-out and pretty accurate.

I wish no ill will on George and if he needs to rest he needs to rest. That still does not change the fact that if he was even slightly responsible, he would not have been posting at 3:20AM last night. Instead he would have been resting for the trip so he would not have to make unprofessional excuses.  We all have challenges and we all need to overcome them. You can apologize for him all you want but he screwed this pooch himself.

If this is a Hobby and nothing more, then George is doing fine, and he owes us nothing. If this is a Hobby he hopes to turn into a budding Career he needs to find ways to overcome his challenges.  Excuses mean shit.

t$w$ has his own opinion so I am not really going to associate with it. I read his stuff I support him regularly and I have contributed multiple times. Paying does not entitle you to any more than no paying imo. I have never once paid George because I expect something in return and nor should you. I paid him to support his growth and so I could continue enjoying his valuable content especially the exclusive parts.

When was the last exclusive you read?

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 06:22 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

Sorry for the name calling. Admittedly uncalled for. I guess all you can really chalk it up to is that some people just take George’s efforts for granted and don’t fully realize the amount of work that goes into this blog

Posted by Rondo on 07/06/12 at 06:23 PM ET

t$w$'s avatar

lol

dude will you guys PLEASE calm down.  Nobody attacked George.  Nobody hated on him.  i was simply stating that IF i donated money I’d be kinda bummed that George didn’t get to steppin on the Red Wings trip.

Get off me.  And yes, I joined KK and YES that’s a big sean avatar.  Get bent. I’m here to stay now.

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 06:24 PM ET

Most of what he posts could be done by a Googlebot with a “Red Wings” search

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/06/12 at 04:10 PM ET

Ya that was a bit of a low blow. But it is true. Can anyone say it isn’t with a straight face?

Heres an example:
http://www.redwingscentral.com/ look at the column on the right titled media watch (Its a Mlive rss but it used to be a bot that had multiple sources:)
1. Prospect camp is begining
2. Wings in on Bobby Ryan
3. Brunstrum probably not returning to the wings.

Yesterday:
1. Wings Hire Tom Renney
2. Quincey files for Arbitration
3. Wings in on Nash
4. Wings did all they can for Suter/Parise

His value is when he goes to the prospect camp takes interviews builds relationships and starts calling Jim Nill once a month.  Anyone remember Bruce Mcleod.  Now that was a reporter. He got inside info, he read between the lines and offered content.

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 06:29 PM ET

The lesson here?

Next year just say on the Friday before your TC trip, “On my way to Traverse city. Expect my first report sometime Saturday!!”

Everyone would be happy with that.

That is what we are still getting this year. George is going to be there tomorrow and start sending goodies our way then. Unfortunatly George gave too many details and everyone has interpreted that differently.

Posted by JP on 07/06/12 at 06:33 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 04:24 PM ET

But you didn’t donate, those that did donate have vocally voiced their support of his decision, therefore your “IF” is worth the same value as your total sum donated.  Nothing.

Posted by solo16 on 07/06/12 at 04:29 PM ET

I can.  Do you read his posts, or just the headlines?  I (and many others) enjoy his opinions and the flavor included in his posts.  Also: if he was just a searchbot, then why is he so heavily linked to throughout the blogging community?  Why wouldn’t others just link to the source?  Hint: it’s because of the value he adds to his posts.

Here is the bottom line though: You’ve made it clear you don’t respect his work or effort and don’t donate anymore and I won’t change your mind.  Ok, bravo, move along, because now you’re just trolling.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/06/12 at 06:41 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

You’re forgetting about the foreign articles with translations, the insight given with each story and the personal connection and interaction with the readers. Not every writer is engaged like that.

If you look at the big picture here, you’ll see a bunch of fans pooling together money to send a blogger to training camp to evaluate and interview prospects at a detailed, in-depth level. On what other blogs or websites have you ever seen that happen? When you stop and think about it that’s pretty remarkable. George isn’t getting anything extra out of this and even if he was it’d be well-deserved.

Between the training camp trips and the whole H2H initiative, TMR/A2Y and it’s readers is a pretty awesome group of people and if you can’t appreciate the sense of community over here then just don’t be a part of it.

Posted by Rondo on 07/06/12 at 06:44 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Awww poor wittle me for calling you out. It’s obvious you have no clue what ‘disease’ as you call it George has or how debilitating it is. Until you do, it’s best you keep your mouth shut as it’s making you look like a dick.

And don’t be surprised when respond to dicks in the same dick-ish behavior. Two wrongs don’t make a right (for sure), but it got your attention, eh?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/06/12 at 06:57 PM ET

t$w$'s avatar

How are either myself or Solo being dicks for pointing out that it’s kinda bogus ol’ George isn’t hopping up to get to TC to get us the inside scoop??

It doesnt matter if i donated any $ or not.  Im entitled to an opinion either way and I just voiced a small opinion.  I never even hated on George. As an unbiased opinion I just thought that it was kinda shitty that he was using being sick as an excuse for not going.  he shoulda just told everyone he was on his way and that would have solved everything.

Relax on the Attack-mode all of you guys.  I never called out anyone on the board so chill out.

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 07:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Your ignorance and lack of empathy is astounding.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 07:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I never called out anyone on the board so chill out.

Maybe, but you did call out George.  And he won’t defend himself because he’s “that kinda guy”.  We will and do.  I don’t hate you or your opinion.  However “strongly dislike” comes to mind when I read your comments.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/12 at 07:15 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Rest up George.  Posting several multiple thousand word articles a day, every day, that dig as deep as you do while all these ravenous fans nip at your heels is above and beyond the call of duty, and certainly affords you some well deserved rest and the right to do things as you damn well please.

Ignore these childish pests without even real registered user names.  From my short, ill-fated stint as a KK writer I quickly learned you can’t please everyone and you need a thick skin to put yourself in the public eye (as small of a fishbowl this is).  Times like these I wish I was able to channel the redolent fury of the Chief to smite such folks, but then I realized they weren’t even really worth my time.

Good luck, stay safe, and have a tall one at Mackinaw Brewing Co. on me when you get there.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/06/12 at 07:20 PM ET

t$w$'s avatar

to quote George…

“S**T HAPPENS”...

it’s not ignorance my God you guys are such sensitive babies if anyone says anything remotely critical of George.

^Trust me he will, and it will be on your dime…even though he doesnt have the juice right now maybe he can still drink.

Posted by t$w$ on 07/06/12 at 07:27 PM ET