The Malik Report

Flyers’ White not suspended for hit on Red Wings’ Jurco

I had a feeling that this hit wouldn't yield supplemental discipline because Flyers forward Ryan White, history of suspensions included, did not hurt Red Wings forward Tomas Jurco, and because he received a 5-minute major and game misconduct...

And the Philadelphia Inquirer's Sam Carchidi confirms just that:

Flyers winger Ryan White escaped further punishment from the NHL on Monday and will likely be in the lineup Tuesday against visiting Toronto.

White was ejected and received a five-minute match penalty early in the Flyers' 2-1 shootout win Sunday in Detroit. He lowered his right shoulder into the head of the Red Wings' Tomas Jurco, who left the game but later returned.

Detroit failed to score on the long power play.

Stephane Quintal, the NHL's disciplinary chief, reviewed the incident Monday and determined there would be no supplemental discipline, a league spokesman said.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

edicius's avatar

Like I said last night on Twitter, Jurco’s no Crosby. Not at all surprised by the lack of a suspension.

Posted by edicius from New Jersey on 01/18/16 at 10:09 PM ET

I think you gotta give him at least a game as a example to the rest of the players to stop this as much as possible.  As well nothing undermines those officials and the next situation they probably will not give a match penalty.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/18/16 at 10:33 PM ET

I’ve never understood the injury component to determine discipline.  We are constantly told damage from hits to head are cumulative and just because someone doesn’t display symptoms doesn’t mean it hasn’t caused harm. I thought the point was to stop the behavior.

Posted by SlimChance on 01/18/16 at 11:24 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I guess since the league is not going to call these hits properly the Wings players should start head hunting themselves.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/18/16 at 11:39 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Until this league punishes cause instead of effect, nothing about their pathetic attempts at “supplemental discipline” will engender any amount of belief that their heads aren’t completely up their own asses.

I applaud you, NHL, for “doing your best to get these type of hits out of the game”.

Truly deplorable.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 01/18/16 at 11:41 PM ET

Jurco indeed got lucky

This is unfortunately part of White’s game and perhaps he
figured he got a free shot against the Red Wings,
in that no one would hand him his lunch or retaliate against
a teammate.

A match penalty and five minute PP with no goals against is surely an acceptable
cost of doing business for this guy.

Posted by Lefty30 on 01/19/16 at 12:05 AM ET

Jeebus, if the Wings PP was dangerous, we could have gotten maybe two PPGs outta that five-minute major and the Flyers limp away with zero points.

Posted by SYF from A tall cool pint of Guinness on 01/19/16 at 12:38 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I thought the point was to stop the behavior.

Posted by SlimChance on 01/18/16 at 10:24 PM ET

Apparently not.

Posted by SYF from Ball’s Hill on 01/18/16 at 11:38 PM ET

Word.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/19/16 at 12:44 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

“Well, he got back up, so your hit to the head is completely ok now…”  Good work, NHL.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/19/16 at 01:21 AM ET

Word.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 01/18/16 at 11:44 PM ET

“Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak ‘em…leg ‘er down a smack ‘em yak ‘em!”

Posted by SYF from A tall cool pint of Guinness on 01/19/16 at 01:55 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Word.

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s Office on 01/19/16 at 12:55 AM ET

Oh Stewardess, I speak Jive…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/19/16 at 02:11 AM ET

Only reason for no suspension is Jurco was not hurt.
I hope that concussion suit against NHL takes them to cleaners. Only thing they will understand is losing money.

Posted by George0211 on 01/19/16 at 08:36 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

NHL ’ dept. of player safety’?

... ridiculous

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/19/16 at 09:32 AM ET

This is damn ridiculous. There should be ZERO connection between targeted players health and the length of suspension. Suspend based on the action.

I can’t believe the NHLPA stands for this stuff. These guys have careers and post-career lives to protect.

It sends the completely wrong message and right now the message shouldn’t be stronger on the punishment side to get this nonsense OUT of the game.

Posted by evileye on 01/19/16 at 12:03 PM ET