The Malik Report

Fiddlesticks! John Tavares edges Red Wings’ Pavel Datsyuk in EA Sports’ NHL 13 Cover vote

The Red Wings and their fans worked hard to spread the word regarding the only NHL player that literally makes video game plays in real life, but the NHL and EA Sports report that Pavel Datsyuk didn’t win his semifinal against John Tavares in EA Sports’ NHL 13 cover athlete vote:(

Giroux Faces Malkin, Tavares Meets Rinne in EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Vote Semifinals

Sponsored By BlackBerry And Hosted On NHL.com, More Than 19.5 Million Fan Votes Cast To Date in the First Ever EA SPORTS NHL Cover Athlete Campaign

May 24, 2012 – EA SPORTS™ and NHL.com announced today that the semifinals matchups for the EA SPORTS NHL®13 Cover Vote, sponsored by BlackBerry®, will be Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux versus Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin and New York Islanders forward John Tavares against Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne.  Fans have cast more than 19.5 million votes to date.

Beginning today at http://www.nhl.com/covervote fans ,can vote an unlimited number of times for their favorite player to advance to the finals. The winner of the cover vote campaign will be unveiled as the EA SPORTS NHL® 13 Cover Athlete at the 2012 NHL Awards™ on June 20 at the Wynn Las Vegas (7pm ET on NBC Sports Network in the U.S. and CBC in Canada).

NHL®13 Cover Vote Semifinals Breakdown |
————————————————————+————————————————————
          Bracket A           |          Bracket B
————————————————————+————————————————————
  Claude Giroux vs. Evgeni Malkin   |    John Tavares vs. Pekka Rinne

NHL 13 Cover Athlete Voting Schedule:

·  May 24 – May 28: Semifinals
  ·  May 29 – June 4: Finals

The NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign, gives fans the opportunity to select the face of the EA SPORTS NHL® franchise. Fans can create awareness for the campaign and their favorite player by using #NHL13Cover on Twitter.

Update: The Detroit News, Detroit Free Press’s James Jahnke and MLive’s Josh Slaghter have taken note of the news.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Ducksworth's avatar

I can’t believe Tavares and Rinne beat out Lundqvist and Datsyuk, what the heck is that? Who ever comes out of the Malkin/Giroux voting bracket will win the cover vote, I’ll cringe if I have to buy the game with Malkin on the cover lol

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 05/24/12 at 11:18 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Ballot-stuffing. I didn’t want to say it in the entry, but I’ll say it here: we live in a world where “fan votes” are determined by the number of programmers in each fan base who find a way to hack the voting process and automatically stuff the ballot box.

19 .5 million votes reflect that number.

This is sort of like the fan vote for All-Stars, too, in that you could very easily argue—if you are of the tinfoil hat-wearing variety of fan—that the league is more tolerant of some fan bases stuffing the ballot box than others (cough Nashville cough).

That, and as several people pointed out, Tavares probably edged Datsyuk because there was a strong push to have Tavares voted in because of his Team Canada connection and status as a Greater Toronto Area native.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/12 at 11:25 AM ET

To all the many Red Wings fans out there:  Help us get Johnny T voted onto the cover.  You don’t want to see Malkin or Rinne on there do you?  Can’t have anything against Johnny T right?

Posted by islesfan on 05/24/12 at 11:41 AM ET

Now is the time to push for Tavares to be on the cover or you will be looking at the Penguin/Flyer logo sitting on your coffe table for the next year.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/24/12 at 11:53 AM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Sad, sad day. what a joke. and I agree George.  19.5 million votes? yeah right. even more of a joke.
I sure as heck am not going to buy a game with a Pens player on the cover, let alone the disk, which I will have to insert into my poor xbox.  I don’t want to defile my precious white xbox 360 with that garbage.

I will join the cause to try and get anyone but a Pens player on the cover, especially Jenny Malkin. Im ok with Giroux or Tavares, but Malkin or Rinne would be horrible.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 05/24/12 at 12:00 PM ET

It’s a piece of paper wrapped around a video game, big whoop. You guys know you can print DOZENS of Red Wings themed covers already for NHL 13. Try googling it.

This whole vote for the cover thing to me is a scam, EA is just using this as publicity, same with Madden.

Posted by @zachjerger on 05/24/12 at 12:46 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This topic falls under “Things I care about.”

On second thought, no, it doesn’t. Print your own cover if you don’t like the one it comes with. Better yet, consider the success of all the cover people over the two decades. Only 10% went on to win the cup.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/24/12 at 02:12 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Wait. what? The NHL has 19 million fan’s?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/24/12 at 02:54 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Fan’s-fans.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!! In ‘13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/24/12 at 03:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

File this under stats I don’t care about.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/24/12 at 03:06 PM ET

This is all a marketing gimmick? Really? I’m aghast. And I’m hearing rumors from a trusted site on the internet, that fan voting can be rigged. Unbelievable.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/24/12 at 03:28 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

“Fiddlesticks”?  Not the F word I was thinking.

Really, it makes me feel like a fool for taking the time to vote.  Lesson learned.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/24/12 at 03:30 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

In that, we agree. It doesn’t matter to me at all who is on the cover of a video game. I’m more than slightly amused at people getting fired up over it.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/24/12 at 03:42 PM ET

I’m confused as to why Red Wings fans are upset.  The cover curse exists and I don’t want any Wings associated with that.  Let Rinne win.  Nashville can continue their road towards a failing franchise.

Posted by khaos on 05/24/12 at 04:55 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

Agree 110% about the cover curse. I am deeply disappointed that Calvin Johnson made the Madden cover.

I also can’t get too bent out of shape about the voting because these things usually fall prey to ballot stuffers anyway. The other problem is that you have to register to vote, and that usually involves giving EA indefinite permission to inundate your Inbox with even more spam.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 05/24/12 at 07:43 PM ET