The Malik Report

Feisty Babcock (now with post-Monday-practice Babcockian wisdom)

Update: As noted in the overnight report, Babcock was definitely fired up on Monday, and WXYZ (via RedWingsFeed) posted a clip of Babcock's post-Monday-practice comments:

Quoting WXYZ:

"When I look at our team play, if I came in from the outside and I watched our team play, I'd say, 'they didn't have a coach.'  OK, that hurts my feelings. But, it's the fact. I told the guys that today. We're not organized enough. We're not efficient. So, when I go watch a team play and they don't play well, I go, 'I wonder what they're doing out there?'

"So, face-off plays - they're at a stoppage, it's like football. You should be able to execute off a stoppage, shouldn't you? So you gotta know what you're doing.  So, we asked again, 'Do we know what we're doing?'

"'Yeah we know what we're doing.'  Well then we better darn well do it. In the neutral zone and forecheck, do we know what we're doing?  When we walk through it, 'Does everyone know what we're doing?' 'Yeah.' Well then we better start doing it.  When we have the puck in their neutral zone and forecheck, does everyone know where to be and what we're supposed to do? 'Yeah." Well then we have to do it.

"So we can go through our whole game like that. We don't look good enough. So let's work harder, let's work smarter, let's be more efficient. Let's get more prepared and let's pay a price to win.

"And we don't score any goals - at least not that I've seen. So let's not give up 40 shots, let's give up 20 shots, let's continue to score no goals, but let's win 2-1.  How's that? Everyone think that sounds like a plan?"

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Oh snap! Babcock is tired of losing.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 10/29/13 at 03:36 PM ET

Big talk for a guy whose team currently couldn’t seem to find the back of the net if they were standing inside it.

Posted by Garth on 10/29/13 at 04:36 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

At least we know Babs will give his full attention to the current problems that plague the NHL team that pays him a handsome salary, and won’t be distracted by something like the Olympics.

oh…wait…

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/29/13 at 04:45 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Meeeow.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 10/29/13 at 04:48 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Well, what is he suppose to say? “We are going to get killed?” yeah…likely, but you don’t go out and say it! For better of for worse, he is trying to keep a positive outlook…..he probably will stay mute after the 4 game trip….but for now, it’s nice to “pretend” all will be alright….

I did say pretend….lol

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 05:31 PM ET

gowings's avatar

And now I just watched the clip….whether or not you like the coach, you can see it and hear it in his voice..the man cares and his really upset…in fact, I don’t even remember him being that upset…he might not do what we all want, but I truly believes that he does try, and if the team just feels half of what he feels, then we should come out ok…hopefully

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 05:35 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Well, what is he suppose to say?

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 05:31 PM ET

I like the “we didn’t get started on time line”, but I suppose that is more effective when said after a game.

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 05:35 PM ET

I like Babcock, a lot. I feel he is one of the best coaches in the NHL., but I’m not sure he’s the best coach for the Red Wings anymore.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/29/13 at 06:24 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m grateful that WXYZ posted the clip. I was kind of stunned to hear Babcock say that his “feelings” were hurt by *anything.* I went, “Wow, that’s not just BS…”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/29/13 at 06:28 PM ET

gowings's avatar

“That meltdown Saturday night against the Rangers still pisses me off. That is inexcusable, period.”

That, I agree 100%....I can’t even stomach to watch Wednesday….I am too afraid…good thing it’s a late game…might just wait to get pissed in the morning instead of getting to bed frustrated…..

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 06:28 PM ET

Guys relax, we still have great players on our team. And last year, if I can remember, we OWNED the Canucks. Datsyuk performs magic on them and it seems like every year we have Luongo’s number, so I’m not that worried. It’s early in the year and we still have lots of kids learning. The Canucks are going into a 5th game winning streak while the Wings try to avoid a 5 game losing streak. Many times the team tired of losing gets that edge in hunger. And this year it seems like we play better against the best teams (San Jose and Colorado for Eg.) Anyway LGRW!

Posted by Pasha1277 on 10/29/13 at 06:37 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by Pasha1277 on 10/29/13 at 06:37 PM ET

Love the way you think…..I truly hope you are right smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 06:38 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’m convinced we will win this game…Alfie. 2 goals Zetterberg.1 goal and Franzen 1 goal
Wings 4 - Nucks 2   Btw Burrows and Henrik are the goal scorer for nucks..I’m off to my bookie..Ohh I’m gonna get richer grin  wink  Let’s go Red Wings !!!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/29/13 at 06:59 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by Gary Bettman SUCK from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/29/13 at 06:59 PM ET

I’ll be in Florida for a red Wing game during the holidays…..I will stop buy and buy you all the beer you want….and hire you as my bookie smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/29/13 at 07:02 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

If we give up 20 shots and win 2-1 on Wednesday, Coach Babs gets a raise.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/29/13 at 07:11 PM ET

Wings 4 - Nucks 2   Btw Burrows and Henrik are the goal scorer for nucks..I’m off to my bookie..Ohh I’m gonna get richer grin wink Let’s go Red Wings !!!!

Posted by Gary Bettman SUCK from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/29/13 at 06:59 PM ET

Dude, Franzen didn’t even make the trip to Vancuver, I’m not hiring you as my bookie! LOL.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 10/29/13 at 07:15 PM ET

Is this team too micro-managed?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/29/13 at 07:29 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I like our micro-managers

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/29/13 at 08:34 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Is this team too micro-managed?
Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 10/29/13 at 07:29 PM ET

That is a very good question. It is more telling in the newer players because they certainly seem to perform as if they are calculating the exact inch of ice where they are supposed to be moving towards. Plus, another indicator, some of the overall team play is so predictable (like defense zone break-outs and offensive zone entries) that it lends itself to stymie creativity and play according to a script.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 10/30/13 at 09:11 AM ET

Is this team too micro-managed?

It is certainly micro-analyzed.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/13 at 10:16 AM ET

It is certainly micro-analyzed.

Coming from a micro-sized intelligence and a micro-sized heart capable of only existing in micro-sized self important universe.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/30/13 at 10:44 AM ET

It is certainly micro-analyzed.

Good point.

What is this, a blog that’s focused on hockey or something?  Can’t we just talk about the weather and puppy dogs and what a colossal douchebag HockeyinHD is?

Posted by Garth on 10/30/13 at 05:13 PM ET

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/30/13 at 09:11 AM ET

Jeebus, dude, are you comfortably lounging in my head or something?

This team needs to be unshackled from structured play once in a while (and I get it that Zata likes structure) and just play loosely.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/30/13 at 05:18 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Posted by Pasha1277 on 10/29/13 at 07:15 PM ET

Sorry!! put the money on Tatar for that Goal..  LOL

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/30/13 at 07:43 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

If we give up 20 shots and win 2-1 on Wednesday, Coach Babs gets a raise.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/29/13 at 07:11 PM ET

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/31/13 at 01:13 AM ET

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/31/13 at 01:13 AM ET

Turns out our uncle Mike is only motivated by money…

Posted by Garth on 10/31/13 at 08:07 AM ET