The Malik Report

Fedorov Talked With Datsyuk About Playing In The KHL

from RIA Novosti,

CSKA Moscow missed the chance to sign Detroit Red Wings star Pavel Datsyuk for the 2014-15 season, the KHL team's general manager told R-Sport on Friday.

Sergei Fedorov, himself a former NHL star with 1,248 appearances from 1990 through 2009, said he sat down with Datsyuk just days before he inked a three-year extension with Detroit last month.

"Unfortunately for us, Pavel extended his contract with Detroit," Fedorov said. "I had a meeting with him a few days before the signing. We had the chance to get Pavel in a year's time, but as a person who knows what the NHL is all about, I understand perfectly well why he did what he did," Fedorov said.

"He said: 'I want to grow as a player and I think that for me the best option is to stay in the NHL.'"

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

perfection's avatar

“He said: ‘I want to grow as a player and I think that for me the best option is to stay in the NHL.’”

whoa… that gives me chills. Pav plans on getting even better.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/19/13 at 10:43 AM ET

unreal. love this dude.

question: does Pav get his # retired when he hangs ‘em up?

Posted by alexotw on 07/19/13 at 11:27 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It depends on what happens over the balance of his career with the Wings, but I’d say that the chances are pretty good.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/19/13 at 11:34 AM ET

whoa… that gives me chills. Pav plans on getting even better.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/19/13 at 11:43 AM ET

“Chills?”  Dude, my nipples got all perky.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/19/13 at 11:44 AM ET

Federov is still trying to screw the Wings even after all these years just for matching that offer sheet he signed with Carolina and forcing him to play behind Yzerman for all those years… Then again, who wouldn’t want Datsyuk to play for their team? Especially with the fore knowledge that he has mentioned he would like to play in Russia before retiring.  I am just really happy to see Pavel staying with the Wings for 4 more seasons and its a pretty good bet that if he stays healthy and plays more than a 1000 games with the Wings his 13 will be retired, if not in the rafters, by the players much like 16 is today.

Posted by AzWingsFan on 07/19/13 at 12:07 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I sure hope 13 is retired. He’s never played on another team and is quite obviously one of the greatest hockey players ever. He’s been widely considered the best all around player in the league amongst his fellow players for several years now. His work ethic, conditioning, unselfishness, consistency, defensive focus, and other-wordly skill should earn him both his # in the rafters as well as a solid place in the Hall of Fame.

I mean, his attitude is incomparable…

while Ovechkin was already threatening to play in the next olympics regardless of what the NHL or his team says during the past olympics, Dats as of a few days ago apparently hasn’t even thought about the olympics. His mind is always on the task at hand. When asked about SCHOOLING Couture out of his jock, his response is that Couture improved from that play and is now more challenging to play against. WHAT?! that’s how Pav sees the world. Now he signs an extension that will take him till age 38, definitely golden years by NHL standards and his goal isn’t to continue to contribute, he plans on improving even more. I cannot get enough Pavel Datsyuk.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/19/13 at 02:28 PM ET

Datsyuk Dangles Couture.

Undressage.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/19/13 at 07:27 PM ET