The Malik Report

Everything Looks The Same As Wings Skate In Tampa

Ansar Khan tweets,

Wings practicing at the Tampa Times Forum. Skating with same lines: Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader, Datsyuk-Helm-Alfredsson

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Andersson-Glendening-Miller. Eaves, Cleary and Bertuzzi also skating.

added 1:08pm, Khan...

On defense, Weiss is skating in place of Ericsson. No word yet on why Ericsson isn't practicing. But other pairs intact: 27-65 and 23-2.

added 1:34pm, Khan again,

Babcock said Ericsson had maintenance day and expected to play tomorrow.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I’m less nervous without Bucktkets and Bert in the lineup.  This is one fast group.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/07/14 at 01:05 PM ET

This is one fast group.

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 02/07/14 at 01:05 PM ET

I’m sure it’s just perception, but it seemed like Cleary and Bert slowed their linemates down.  Guys seem faster now then they did when they were on a line with one of those two.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/07/14 at 01:17 PM ET

It’s more frenetic thus it induces more defensive headaches, which is why the Wings desperately need to stabilize their defense corps so the forwards have more time in the offensive zone.  Just a fun group to watch now.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/07/14 at 01:31 PM ET

On defense, Weiss is skating in place of Ericsson. No word yet on why Ericsson isn’t practicing. But other pairs intact: 27-65 and 23-2.

Because Weiss is taking Ericsson’s spot!

Posted by neffernin on 02/07/14 at 03:06 PM ET

Paul, I am interested in knowing how all these hockey players are provided transportation from different venues and different teams.  Do Canadians fly to Toronto, Americans congregate in New York, etc.  If this causes extra work for you, it would be OK to skip the answer, Thanks.

Posted by guy on 02/07/14 at 09:16 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I had read that the NHL is sending some charters from Atlanta and New York.

It was from Bruce Garrioch:

Two charters will leave from New York and one from Atlanta next Sunday to take NHL players and staff to Sochi.

Getting to Sochi from individual cities would be a colossal pain in the ass—you’re talking flying from whatever city you’re in (I’m guessing that the Wings will fly home quickly after the Tampa game so guys can pack) to New York, flying across the Atlantic to Amsterdam, boarding a flight to Moscow and then trying to get your way to Sochi, probably with a stop in southern Russia along the way.

I would *guess* that the NHL has chartered some wide-bodied aircraft (think a pair of A340’s, 777’s or something along those lines) to bring as many players together as possible. That saves on tons of $$ and time.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/07/14 at 09:22 PM ET

Thank you George.  Later I thought I should not have ask that question for security reasons.

Posted by guy on 02/08/14 at 07:08 AM ET