The Malik Report

Everyone Practiced

George improving but Paul still here…

Babcock says Helm looks good, Helm says not there yet…

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Everyone, right down to Darren Helm, was on the ice. Helm wore a grey “no touching” jersey, because he’s only just begun his comeback from a sprained MCL. But—but, but, but—he probably won’t be in grey for much longer. He didn’t take part in drills until the end, but he looked fast and nimble, and at least his coach thinks maybe Helm can be back for Game 1.

“Sure looked like he was ready to me,” Babcock said.

In fairness, Babcock tends to think players are ready if they’re upright. Helm sounded more cautious about Game 1 and more confident about being available for Friday’s Game 2.

“It’s still bugging me a little bit, the quickness, taking quick strides,” he said. “I didn’t really push it too hard, physically. No battle drills. So don’t really know where it’s at, there. But it definitely felt a lot better than the first day I skated.”

read on

added 2:38pm, Watch Mike Babcock below as he meets the media post-practice…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Vladimir16's avatar

Datsyuk is funny.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/09/12 at 03:27 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Thanks, Paul.

And, nothing against you or your work, but I am really beginning to miss George and his novel-length posts.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/09/12 at 04:23 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I’m thinking that Helm’s effective presence is the difference between an early exit and winning The Cup.

Posted by Savage Henry on 04/09/12 at 04:54 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

From the Freep article linked above:

these were the top three lines:

Johan Franzen-Pavel Datsyuk-Todd Bertuzzi

Valtteri Filppula-Henrik Zetterberg-Jiri Hudler

Drew Miller-Justin Abdelkader-Danny Cleary

The fourth line was a jumble of Cory Emmerton, Tomas Holmstrom, Gustav Nyquist, Riley Sheahan, Chris Conner and Jan Mursak.

Nyquist needs to take Mule’s spot on the #1 line. Bump Cleary from #3 and replace with Mule. At the very least, if Mule stays on #1, the Nyquil should bump Cleary. That leaves Emmerton between Mursak and Homer.

When Helmer comes back, he takes Abby’s spot on the third line and Abby takes Emmo’s spot on the fourth line. This doesn’t seem that difficult.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/12 at 04:57 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I
LOVE
Babcock.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/09/12 at 05:02 PM ET

That would be amazing to have Helm back to center the third line once again with Miller on his left wing.  I think Miller hasn’t been the same since Helm got injured.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/09/12 at 06:11 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar