The Malik Report

ESPN’s LeBrun ponders whether Red Wings might target Ehrhoff, Robidas

Updated 2x at 3:08 PM: As Red Wings fans read the lovely news regarding Pavel Datsyuk, Stephen Weiss, Daniel Cleary and Jakub Kindl's injuries (all of a sudden, Joakim Andersson's the 1st line center?), pondered practice stuff and can now read Michigan Radio and Deadspin's takes on the Red Wings' rink deal and form their own conclusions...

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun's been busy scrounging for trade news, and while I was reading about Datsyuk, Pro Hockey Talk's Jason Brough noted that LeBrun went Wing-y, first gauging the team's interest in Christian Ehrhoff...

The Red Wings are believed to be among teams interested in defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, whom the Sabres are shopping. He's got seven more years on his deal after this season, at a $4 million cap hit. What's better, though, is that $22 million of that 10-year, $40 million deal will have been paid off by the end of this season because it was front-loaded.

I don't think the Wings would overpay to get him but he would fill a need for a top-four, offensively minded defenseman.

And then LeBrun spoke with Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill regarding the fact that his team could be a "seller," and that his former employer just happens to be a "buyer":

"We're open for business, I'm always looking at things, but I'm not rushing to do something just to move a body to get a pick," said Nill.

Veteran blue-liner Stephane Robidas, out since late November with that horrific leg injury, could be on the mend and is an interesting trade target for a contender, something TSN colleague Darren Dreger brought up Sunday on air.

My sense is Nill will likely get a read off Robidas, both in terms of his health -- there's a thought he could return within 2-3 weeks -- and what his wishes are in terms of staying put or moving on. I think there's so much respect for what Robidas has done in Dallas that the GM would take the players' lead there.

LeBrun continues, of course.

Update: ESPN's Scott Burnside said the following during a Q and A chat on ESPN.com:

R.Coppens. (Carbondale, IL): Out of all the defenseman available (Erhoff, Myers, Tallinder, Edler, Macdonald) who would Detroit be best to go after with their extra cap space from Zetterberg injury?

Scott Burnside: R.Coppens; The guy I like as a fit is Christian Ehrhoff. Tons of term left (through 20-21) but at a manageable cap hit ($4 million). But GM Ken Holland isn't going to give up a ton to make that kind of move. I think he'd be a nice fit stylistically with Mike Babcock and he's really picked up his offensive game of late for the Sabres.

Update #2: Take this from the Fourth Period for what you will:

The Detroit Red Wings aren't planning on making any moves for high-priced rental players, but the team is still looking to acquire a top-four defenseman.

The Wings have inquired about Vancouver's Alexander Edler and Buffalo's Christian Ehrhoff, but appear to be focusing on Ehrhoff, at the moment.

TFP reported last Thursday that the Wings had been inquiring about Ehrhoff's availability, and on Monday, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reiterated Detroit's interest.

LeBrun, however, indicated that the Wings would not overpay to get Ehrhoff.

Red Wings GM Ken Holland has plenty of young assets he is willing to part with, but some players he prefers not to deal, such as Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar.

Holland has also spoken to the Vancouver Canucks about forward Ryan Kesler, who is expected to be dealt by Wednesday's 3pm ET trade deadline.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Discussed Ehrhoff already over on WIIM.  I don’t have a problem with the Wings trying to get him but I think they’re going to have to overpay to do so, and I don’t know that he alone could fix things up enough on the blueline.

I know he eats minutes and is fairly dependable in both zones.  I’m just not sure if you add him to the 2nd pairing that you’re getting enough impact to trade away a 1st plus other assets (which would also be prospects or young players probably).

I don’t really want Robidas at all, especially at this stage in his career.

Posted by Primis on 03/03/14 at 02:49 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

But you could give a second and a prospect (Almquist? Ouellett? Ferraro?  2 of these three?).  Would that make it better?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/03/14 at 02:58 PM ET

I don’t really want Robidas at all, especially at this stage in his career.

Posted by Primis on 03/03/14 at 01:49 PM ET

I really liked him when he was paired with Zubov back in the day.  Just a gutsy defenseman.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 03/03/14 at 03:19 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’d be very interested in Erhoff, and I’d think Holland would at least give him a good look because he qualifies as a “Hockey Trade” which is good past this year.  But he does shoot left, which doesn’t help much in that regard.

But what are you willing to give up to get him?  What’s he “worth”?  A lot of teams will be interested, so I’d think it’s going to take a few picks and some prospects.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/03/14 at 03:23 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think they’re going to have to overpay to do so

I think every single player that has come up as a potential trade or free agent signing for Detroit has had this exact statement applied. I don’t disagree, necessarily, but it seems like it holds them back from some things. Of course, Holland will gladly overpay for any player who has ever worn the Winged Wheel. I’d much rather him overpay for Ehrhoff than another Samuelsson or Quincey. Ehrhoff would alleviate the D and shove some guys back down the lineup to places they’re better suited for. Plus, he’s got a pretty good contract going forward.

Posted by awould on 03/03/14 at 03:26 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Trevor Daley?

Posted by moocat on 03/03/14 at 03:35 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Ugh.  Daley’s the kind’ve guy who the term “hockey smarts” was created to describe.  As in, “Daley has absolutely no hockey smarts”.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/03/14 at 03:45 PM ET

moocat's avatar

LoL. Daley for Quincy?

Posted by moocat on 03/03/14 at 03:49 PM ET

perfection's avatar

The problem is simple supply and demand mathematics. The deadline has become a situation where a slight few teams “sell” while the vast majority of the league thinks they have a shot. This means that not only do you have to “overpay”, something I think has always been the case at the deadline, but now you have to severely overpay to the extent that if you’re not a sure fire cup contender it just doesn’t seem worth it. Trade values normalize a bit come draft time as everyone becomes half buyer/ half seller plus there are UFAs about to come on the market which also level the playing field. But you guys are way off if you think a good hockey trade for a top4 caliber dman means we get to just trade Ferraro and Almquist and a second… like the other gm’s don’t know their waiver status. I mean there will literally be 10+ other teams with competing bids. I’d say Erhoff would cost more the equivalent of Tatar and a first. Where we are at in the standings a trade like that is meaningless. Teams will want the guys we don’t want to get rid of. That’s how it works. Value for value. Nobody is trading their star for our waste. Im honestly ok if we don’t do anything at the deadline. As much as we need help, Im not sure any one player- Kessler included would do all that much towards increasing our cup winning chances. If somehow the price is right, I trust Kenny to do what he has to do, but I think it must at least be looked at realistically. A trade for anyone of substance is going to cost players we will hate to lose.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/03/14 at 04:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/03/14 at 01:58 PM ET

If you want to dream, sure I guess.

The reality is nobody is moving at the deadline in that tier without at least one 1st attached.  Unless you wish to substitute Tatar instead?  In which case the answer isn’t just “no”, but “NO”.

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 03/03/14 at 02:19 PM ET

He unfortunately is on the decline, and constantly injured.  He’s basically Cleary, except a blueliner.

Posted by Primis on 03/03/14 at 05:03 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Posted by Primis on 03/03/14 at 04:03 PM ET

Understood.  And I guess I can settle with the “don’t give an inch on youngins or draft picks” approach.  My only urgency on the issue is that I don’t think we have anything like the caliber of dman we want in the system, and if we want one in the next 5 years, maybe we have to give up something we like, since we haven’t had much luck in FA either (and no surprise)  That’s why it’s trading, right?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/03/14 at 05:13 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I don’t think we have anything like the caliber of dman we want in the system

- MoreShoot

I think we do; DeKeyser, Smith, & Marchenko.

Sproul and Ouellet are still both possibilities.

I’m also not willing to ignore the chance that Kindl’s 2013-14 is an aberration and he’ll be fine.

Even if we “need” another defenseman I’m not convinced we need to move now when the price is high instead of the summer when prices are more reasonable.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 03/03/14 at 06:06 PM ET

Hopefully Holland has given Murray his list of untouchables (2014 first, 2015 first, Mantha, DeKeyser, Nyquist/Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco) and Murray has said “that makes this harder but let’s keep talking.”

There are many, many possible packages of assets I would be happy to see leave for Ehrhoff.  Doesn’t mean a deal will get done but smoke about negotiations when the list of untouchable assets has been so publicly aired can only be encouraging.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/03/14 at 06:30 PM ET

von Awesome's avatar

If acquiring Ehrhoff meant parting with a 1st rounder and Smith, maybe a middling prospect, I might take it. Especially if this was NHL 14. Hahah.

Posted by von Awesome on 03/03/14 at 06:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I won’t lie: in my book Tatar and maaaaaaybe Nyquist are untouchable.  Tatar *absolutely* is.

But beyond that,,,, I’d even part with Mantha to get the right d-man.  Manta is no sure thing, and we have sooooooo many other forwards (Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Frk, etc) in the system.  As fun as it’d be to keep Mantha and see if it turns out…. a good-dman right now is even more fun IMHO.

That means I’d part with Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro, etc.

But nobody’s taking a 1st + Smith for anything good I think.

Posted by Primis on 03/03/14 at 08:08 PM ET

The only way I’d move Tony Mantha is if a franchise player who is locked up under contract and who is at or under 30 is coming back this way.

It will be worth waiting 1-3 years to see what he’s going to do. I really see him as untouchable, unless we get something major. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the top 10 prospects, league-wide, after this year.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/03/14 at 08:21 PM ET